Missed the Deadline....

BOSTON-VW

TDI
2009 TDI Salsa Red Sport Package & Moonroof
I sold my 2009 TDI Jetta April of 2016. Never received any type of information in regards to the settlement from VW. I checked this morning & find out the deadline was 2 days ago. I called 1-844-982-5246 & spoke with a person there (surprised they where open on a Sunday) He said there was nothing he could do, but to call Class Consuel @ 800-948-2181 Tomorrow (9/19/16)

Not happy with VW @ all. I did get $7,000 for a trade-in, but I don't want to leave that other money on the table. Never thought VW would buy back the TDI's outright.

I hope I have some sort of recourse here. Wondering if anyone else didn't get anything from VW.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I sold my 2009 TDI Jetta April of 2016. Never received any type of information in regards to the settlement from VW. I checked this morning & find out the deadline was 2 days ago. I called 1-844-982-5246 & spoke with a person there (surprised they where open on a Sunday) He said there was nothing he could do, but to call Class Consuel @ 800-948-2181 Tomorrow (9/19/16)
Not happy with VW @ all. I did get $7,000 for a trade-in, but I don't want to leave that other money on the table. Never thought VW would buy back the TDI's outright.
I hope I have some sort of recourse here. Wondering if anyone else didn't get anything from VW.
I thought it was all over the news...gotta keep informed. Not much you can do now.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I really hope the best to all of you. Maybe you'll get a complete buy back. I don't see this happening. My bet is they'll tweak the TDI's to make them legal. Too be honest, I wouldn't have kept my TDI for more then a year from now anyway. I bit the bullet & I'm moving on.

Good luck to all of you!
The above is what you posted in March 2016 when you sold your car. Seems like you had lost interest in the whole affair. Too bad you didn't revisit the Forum to see what was going on and too bad you never got a mailing. I'll bet the new owner of your car go the notice from VW since he is the new owner of record.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It seems odd to me that you didn't get an information packet from VW. Lots of people who have sold their cars did. I got one and I sold mine in April of '15.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The above is what you posted in March 2016 when you sold your car. Seems like you had lost interest in the whole affair. Too bad you didn't revisit the Forum to see what was going on and too bad you never got a mailing. I'll bet the new owner of your car go the notice from VW since he is the new owner of record.
Yup. By March...it was pretty obvious that we would know one way or the other (buyback or not) in the middle of April. I'm not sure why people were dumping their cars at that point.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yup. By March...it was pretty obvious that we would know one way or the other (buyback or not) in the middle of April. I'm not sure why people were dumping their cars at that point.
My guess is that tax refunds were showing up and some TDI owners were anxious to get out before values fell further.

BOSTON-VW

TDI
I received a reprieve! I had to sign some sort of affidavit claiming I never received any info. from VW. This let me back into the VW portal & I finished my claim. Whew....I was very worried yesterday. I should have checked here (or did a google search) to see the status. I'm glad that this worked out! Looking back, shouldn't have sold my Jetta TDI & waited. VW will NEVER get my business again.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
You got a reprieve- from VW -- and you are ungrateful? :mad::eek::eek::cool::confused:

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
^ yeah that. They came through for you and you are still upset? I must be missing something.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
^ yeah that. They came through for you and you are still upset? I must be missing something.
No kidding. I'm about the farthest thing from a VW advocate at this point and I don't get how he could be annoyed at the moment. I'm surprised that they didn't tell him to go pound sand. I guess at this point they have enough legal troubles that one or two more payouts here and there aren't worth haggling over.

BOSTON-VW

TDI
Are you guys kidding me? I'm being a jerk because VW decided to lie to all of us? I lost money big time on my Jetta & would have kept it if they didn't pull this nonsense. They came through for me? How so? Never received anything from them to know either way. If I did, it would have signed-up right away.

VW didn't do anything for me. It was the Class Action counsel that helped on my behalf. My 1st card was a Fiat. After that it was all VW until now. So...Yeah. They'll never get a penny from me again.

Oh let's reward the company that pulled the biggest auto scam in US history. Not to mention I thought I was doing my part helping with the environment.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
maybe, just maybe, your package got lost in the U.S. mail. That stuff happens, more frequently these days. I get mail from my neighbors about once a month because of mishandling by the postman.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Are you guys kidding me? I'm being a jerk because VW decided to lie to all of us? I lost money big time on my Jetta & would have kept it if they didn't pull this nonsense. They came through for me? How so? Never received anything from them to know either way. If I did, it would have signed-up right away.

VW didn't do anything for me. It was the Class Action counsel that helped on my behalf. My 1st card was a Fiat. After that it was all VW until now. So...Yeah. They'll never get a penny from me again.

Oh let's reward the company that pulled the biggest auto scam in US history. Not to mention I thought I was doing my part helping with the environment.
You lost money on the car because of your choice to sell it before the issue was completed. Had you kept it and sold it back to VW you would have probably come out ahead. You had full knowledge that the issue was being litigated, yet couldn't wait to sell it off. Everyone knows VW cheated. Not all of the people ditched their cars because they couldn't think straight. You jumped the gun selling your car, now want to cry about it afterwards. I sold my Passat due to work issues (layoffs). Still didn't stop me from following what was happening and being able to register as an eligible seller for a partial payment.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
^This

I'm a bit surprised at the number of people that can't wait to sell their cars back so quickly (notwithstanding owners that have a failing DPF or related pricey failure) since the buyout price will remain largely unchanged for the next 2 years. Even with the mileage penalty the price doesn't change drastically and will still be better than what you could sell it for privately or trade-in.

I have always planned to keep the car, but I still submitted a claim because I don't know what my thoughts will be in the latter part of 2018. If I sold mine back in 2018 it would be for ~$2500 less than I paid for it in 2013. I could potentially drive my car for 5yrs/~100k miles and sell it back for 90% of what I paid for it..that's crazy lol.

My cousin and his wife got scared as soon as the Dieselgate story broke in Sept. 2015 and immediately traded in their Jetta for a new Jeep GC ecodiesel...I dare say that they would have liked an extra $10k to put down on that $46k+ SUV.

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
^This

I'm a bit surprised at the number of people that can't wait to sell their cars back so quickly (notwithstanding owners that have a failing DPF or related pricey failure) since the buyout price will remain largely unchanged for the next 2 years. Even with the mileage penalty the price doesn't change drastically and will still be better than what you could sell it for privately or trade-in.

I have always planned to keep the car, but I still submitted a claim because I don't know what my thoughts will be in the latter part of 2018. If I sold mine back in 2018 it would be for ~$2500 less than I paid for it in 2013. I could potentially drive my car for 5yrs/~100k miles and sell it back for 90% of what I paid for it..that's crazy lol.

My cousin and his wife got scared as soon as the Dieselgate story broke in Sept. 2015 and immediately traded in their Jetta for a new Jeep GC ecodiesel...I dare say that they would have liked an extra $10k to put down on that $46k+ SUV.
My car was a "I'm not sure what I really want, but this is practical, has awesome fuel economy, and should have a decent resale value in a few years" thing. I never intended to keep it for more than a few years.

From what I've read...a lot of people that are looking to unload their TDI's are in the same boat.

Edit: I was done with my car this past summer when my commute length quadrupled and I got sick of the manual transmission (terrible traffic).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
...and people who are complaining that "VW is taking my car away from me" because they feel compelled to accept the buyback when they wouldn't be otherwise selling the car. Seems it's still the car owners decision. If you like it, keep it. No one will stop you.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
My car was a "I'm not sure what I really want, but this is practical, has awesome fuel economy, and should have a decent resale value in a few years" thing. I never intended to keep it for more than a few years.

From what I've read...a lot of people that are looking to unload their TDI's are in the same boat.

Edit: I was done with my car this past summer when my commute length quadrupled and I got sick of the manual transmission (terrible traffic).
Yeah I get where you're coming from. I can easily see why a non-enthusiast or someone who is just indifferent to the whole situation would want to take the buyback and move on. I guess the point I was really trying to make is why not wait until the deadline before selling back if the car still suits your needs and/or you aren't having any problems with it. You (not you specifically, but owners in general) are basically getting to drive it for "free" in terms of depreciation for 2 more years.

You mentioned the change in your commute with a manual trans and that's a totally valid reason to move on to something else that better suits your needs. I don't think everyone needs to provide justification for why they want to keep or get rid of their TDI, I'm just kind of curious and thinking out loud.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Taking the buyback when available locks in the money. Have an accident or a costly repair and it can all be gone out the window and you will lose money. If you want the buyback take it as soon as possible and don't wait. Unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night! ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Taking the buyback when available locks in the money. Have an accident or a costly repair and it can all be gone out the window and you will lose money. If you want the buyback take it as soon as possible and don't wait. Unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night! ;)
This is what I don't get. Owning a car is an expense. Sure, the buyout is generous (perhaps too generous) but even if owners take the money on this car odds are they'll spend it on the next one. With that in mind, why not drive what you like? Why do people feel like they can't say no to the buyback just because VW's offering them more money than they'd receive otherwise?

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it would be interesting to know if the replacement vehicles people are buying cost on average more or less than what they paid for their TDI.

Just speaking for myself....If I didn't love my Golf so much and didn't need a vehicle for towing I could easily see myself trying to justify more expensive or sportier cars in the $35k-$40k range (Golf R, used C63 AMG or 335i, 328d wagon...etc) just because I would have some extra "free" money to throw down. On the other hand my Golf will be paid off soon and I'm liking the idea of no car payments lol

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This is what I don't get. Owning a car is an expense. Sure, the buyout is generous (perhaps too generous) but even if owners take the money on this car odds are they'll spend it on the next one. With that in mind, why not drive what you like? Why do people feel like they can't say no to the buyback just because VW's offering them more money than they'd receive otherwise?
Because they don't like the car now for whatever reason (VW lying, not as clean as they were told, upside down on the car loan, etc...). If you like the car and want to keep it, then do it. If you want out, sooner is better than later IMHO, for the reasons I stated. I am personally looking for a leftover Passat for the right price to get back into.

Takuhari

TDI
Manual 2010 Golf TDi Manual 2015 Golf TDi
Wondering if this will work?

Was anyone able to register and get this process done after the Sep deadline was missed?

Last edited:

Golfer12

TDI
11 jsw tdi
I would like to thank vw and all of you that turned in your cars, I have been waiting for them to come down on price and now I own 12 golf tdi hatchback and love it, I drive 100 mile commute 5 days a week and this is the perfect car for that, to be honest if I had owned a buy back car I would of took the extra money and got a newer one with less miles, bottom line is these are still excellent cars and right now there is some good deals to be had.
Kinda reminds me of my old 1980 vw rabbit loved that car

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have always been excellent cars for what they were. Very low polluting as well except for that one thing, sometimes. But some got their feelings hurt because VW "lied" and others couldn't resist the money being offered. It has made a whole new market for those who wanted one or more. I would imagine every one put up for sale will be resold in short order and at pretty attractive pricing. Good luck with yours!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Very low polluting as well except for that one thing, sometimes.
Uh, no. Never were low polluting. Even back in the '00s the ALHs were at the top of the pollution scale. That's why sales were limited by fleet-weighted pollution averages.