Missed DSG fluid and filter changes at 80,000 and 120,000 miles

Software Mechanic

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I'm considering buying a 2013 Audi A3 with 136,000 miles that had the DSG transmission's fluid and filter changed at 35,000 miles. The CarFax doesn't show any other transmission filter and fluid changes. How has this affected the transmission?

John

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The first change is the most important one. The clutches shifting wears out the fluid, highway driving doesn't wear it out as quickly.

If you get the car, have the fluid serviced then.

-J

Software Mechanic

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
The car has 136,000 miles and is in excellent condition. It has all the option packages including the Titanium Sport package. The tires are newand brake pads and rotors were recently replaced.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
It all depends on the price. I got my 2013 with the same S-line Titanium Sport package as you with 46k miles for $13k back in December of 2019. keep in mind that at that mileage and time period, it still had the extended emissions warranty.

Obviously used car prices are still pretty weird and I'm out of the loop as far as what prices are now, but I probably wouldn't spend more than $6-7k on that, especially given that it's out of warranty (unless you plan on immediately deleting it/tuning it). At that price, provided the rest of the mechanicals are in good order and the body is free of rust, you'll be able to assume a bit of risk on the DSG and if it dies, you'll have the cash to drop in a low mileage used one.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
"...especially given that it's out of warranty..."
Unless the Audi extended emissions warranty is different from VW's, the car has another two years and 26K miles of warranty left.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Unless the Audi extended emissions warranty is different from VW's, the car has another two years and 26K miles of warranty left.
I had thought it was 10 years after the fix or 120k miles, whichever came first for all CR motors... but I may be mistaken

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
The EPA mandated diesel warranty doesn’t cover your DSG.
carfax may not show those services unless they were done at the dealer.
Always assume the previous owner neglected fluids.
if it shifts well and drives well go for it, change the fluid and roll the dice like the rest of the used car sales in the world (and do a timing belt service unless you’re 100% certain it was completed properly including the tensioner, etc).