Misfueling Insurance Coverage - AllState

jpsum

Vendor
TDI
Been worrying about fuel contamination with my 2011 golf TDI ever since I read about the fuel pump issues. I'm not that worried about misfueling, but rather fuel contamination at the fuel station.

So I decided to call my insurance company AllState. They went through my coverage and could not find any part of the policy that would cover misfueling/contamination. They also don't offer any add-on coverage for this purpose. However, the agent did tell me that since the policy covers vandalism, she "suggested" that if anything does happen, I can always file a police report and claim someone put gasoline in the tank on purpose. I was shocked that she would even suggest that since that it technically fraud.

I would pay to have misfueling coverage. Does anyone here have this coverage? If you do, please let me know which company you are with. Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Wow! An insurance agent openly advocating insurance fraud. That's amazing (and a little scary). I really don't know what to say about that. I would seriously consider a new agent (and maybe a new insurance company). Sorry, but I really can't recommend any company that specifically offers mis-fueling insurance.

Have Fun!

Don

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I have Traveler's and got same answer when I inquired two months ago. The failure would likely be considered mechanical. Apparently I was first to ever inquire with their underwriters as it took them over a week to reply and I got the impression they seriously considered this situation given level of discussion with my agent. I asked can I buy rider and they said they checked and couldn't insure against this risk. They can't put a rider in for specific policy exclusions or something like that.

I would consider switching if someone finds a company with specific and in writing coverage.

Last edited:

jpsum

Vendor
TDI
I have Traveler's and got same answer when I inquired two months ago. The failure would likely be considered mechanical. Apparently I was first to ever inquire with their underwriters as it took them over a week to reply and I got the impression they seriously considered this situation given level of discussion with my agent. I asked can I buy rider and they said they checked and couldn't insure against this risk. They can't put a rider in for specific policy exclusions or something like that.

I would consider switching if someone finds a company with specific and in writing coverage.

Thanks for the info.

Just saw your MPG in your sig. :eek: Are you towing with your JSW?

jpsum

Vendor
TDI
Wow! An insurance agent openly advocating insurance fraud. That's amazing (and a little scary). I really don't know what to say about that. I would seriously consider a new agent (and maybe a new insurance company). Sorry, but I really can't recommend any company that specifically offers mis-fueling insurance.

Have Fun!

Don

LOL I think she was just trying to be "helpful" :rolleyes:. Hope that call wasn't recorded for training purpose. :)

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Thanks for the info.
Just saw your MPG in your sig. :eek: Are you towing with your JSW?
Everyone is picking on my MPG lately :confused:
I was following break in steps with higher RPMs. Ran it in Sport Mode until 5,000 miles. Just graduated Saturday. Plus I run heavy city mix. I'm still on my first tank running mostly in D. We'll see how it goes. The one week I tested my average MPG in D Mode back in April, with a slightly higher hwy mix I got just over 40 (figure not bad with DSG). If nothing else, lower MPG period to-date was fun. I love that Sport Mode. :D

I should be getting my key chains soon. Got message they shipped yesterday. Have a good day!

Last edited:

jpsum

Vendor
TDI
Everyone is picking on my MPG lately :confused:
I was following break in steps with higher RPMs. Ran it in Sport Mode until 5,000 miles. Just graduated Saturday. Plus I run heavy city mix. I'm still on my first tank running mostly in D. We'll see how it goes. The one week I tested my average MPG in D Mode back in April, with a slightly higher hwy mix I got just over 40 (figure not bad with DSG). If nothing else, lower MPG period to-date was fun. I love that Sport Mode. :D

I should be getting my key chains soon. Got message they shipped yesterday. Have a good day!
You'll love the car even more now that it's broken in. :D I just got the most miles per tank this week. Got 540 miles before the fuel light came on!

Your keychains went out Saturday morning, you should get them real soon. Thanks!