Misfueling Guard

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Yes I am going in to put the guard on now due to the letter. I don't want the ECM update however. I am sure they will insist.... I hope they don't screw it up.

I like how they make the HPFP failures seem like is primarily a mis-fueling issue, when in fact that accounts for few to nil of many HPFP failures.

EDIT: Installed today at dealer. I ordered the funnel tool from Amazon for $10.71 including shipping, for non standard fuel pump handle spout diameters. The two part numbers are
VW Part Number #000-072-709 or BMW Part Number 16-11-0-440-157. Apparently the BMW is cheaper (same part) $7.50... can get local from BMW dealer.

The guard looks like this (previously posted by FloridaJohn). The previous version had a metal flap that blocked the whole inlet vs. the metal tab.

Last edited:

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
Yes, letters are being sent out. 10 yr/120,00 miles.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442862
Well ****berries, I just had the bloody thing taken off about 1 month ago when I brought the car in for a new fuel filter. I had a hard time using my fuel cans to fill up! I wonder will happen if I drag it over to another dealer and ask for the mis-fueling guard and that adapter...

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2012 JSW but I've not received any such letter.
Call your dealer and give them your VIN number. They will tell you what recalls, service bulletins, service campaigns there are against the car.... The letter for the refuel guard came out in 2013. You can call VW of America and make sure they have your correct mailing address on file. A recent ECM re-program letter went out as well as extending the HPFP warranty to 10 years and 12,000. If you are not getting these you need to let the dealer know.... Cheers

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Yes I am going in to put the guard on now due to the letter. I don't want the ECM update however. I am sure they will insist.... I hope they don't screw it up.
Ditto. The timing of the warranty extension was perfect for me, as our Jetta is just now at 56,000 miles.
I need to read up on the ECM update to find out exactly what it does.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Call your dealer and give them your VIN number. They will tell you what recalls, service bulletins, service campaigns there are against the car.... The letter for the refuel guard came out in 2013. You can call VW of America and make sure they have your correct mailing address on file. A recent ECM re-program letter went out as well as extending the HPFP warranty to 10 years and 12,000. If you are not getting these you need to let the dealer know.... Cheers
I have been receiving mail, and e-mail, from my dealer and VW. I just recently received a notice (snail and e-mail) about the ECM update but nothing on the fuel pump extended warranty. I ran my VIN at the VW site but saw nothing on the fuel pump stuff.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I have been receiving mail, and e-mail, from my dealer and VW. I just recently received a notice (snail and e-mail) about the ECM update but nothing on the fuel pump extended warranty. I ran my VIN at the VW site but saw nothing on the fuel pump stuff.
The extended warranty on the fuel pump is not a service campaign so it won't show up on the VW site, which is only for open recalls and service campaigns - open as in you haven't had them done yet. So it's normal you only see the ECU update on the site, if you haven't had it done.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
The extended warranty will not show up... it is not service or recall. It is just an extension. You get a card to hold in your file. If you have a HPFP failure you keep receipts and send in with the card. The stipulations are
1) No contaminated fuel (i.e., gasoline)
2) Have the fuel guard installed
3) 10 years from original purchase and/or 120,000
Warranty is transferrable

Even if you did not get the card you are covered. However you should make sure you are getting mail from VW of America (not just dealer).... You can call VW of America and talk to a service Rep.... They can assist you. I have called them more than once.....

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Is it possible to still fuel up your car from portable yellow diesel cans with the retro kit installed? Reason I ask is I normally store B100 and roll B50ish . My biod place uses smaller nozzle too probably not worth installing since according to vw I'm already misfuelling at b50 :)

C

Central Scrutinizer

First fill-up this morning after taking the car in last week for the fuel guard and ECM update. I was surprised at the guard's appearance (mine's just like the photo in post #211 above); doesn't seem like it'd be all that effective (though I did not try inserting a gasoline nozzle). Anyway, fill-up was pretty much business as usual - no problem adding my fuel additive, nor topping off the tank to the rim of the fuel neck.