Misfueling Adapter Removal in Central Texas?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I'm headed to Texas for a week or so and had my first-ever fueling challenge. I was in a small town in NC with limited refueling opportunities. I probably could have stretched the tank further. But I didn't want to risk it. There were four stations in town: all of them had separate diesel islands; two of them had only high-flow nozzles that had no chance of getting into the filler area; one had an usually-high price and cobwebs on the pump (out of fuel for years?); and the last (where I shopped) had a gasoline pump nozzle fitted to an old-school analog pump. UGH!

I've never wanted that adapter gone so much! It made it impossible to use the high-flow pumps; yet it didn't stop the full-service attendant from slowly pumping 12.3 gallons of fuel through a nozzle that doesn't "fit" in the hole. In short, the adapter won't stop misfueling by a really determined fool. ;)

Anyway, is there anyone around Austin or the hill country who can proficiently remove my misfueling adapter? I have a recollection of someone being near Leander or Round Rock. I'll be in Burnet until the 12th. Can anyone help? Odds are good that I will never need to use a high-flow pump once this part is removed. ;)

Thanks,

Scott

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
www.runonbeer.com - Robbie at Meyerhoff Autohaus is a trusted mechanic in the Austin area. I am not sure how close he is to "MichaelDellphia" (Round Rock) he is, but I know he is in the Austin area and I am sure he can remove that piece for you.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am in Round Rock and have done my own. I won't do anyone else's though. I have put mine back and just keep the tools (if you would really call them that) in my car just in case. Even with it removed it won't fit the high flow nozzles anyway, only an improper gas nozzle. I have had no issues here or any where near here with that. I have yet to encounter a pump nozzle that hasn't fit. There is an adapter you can buy for a few dollars that will let you fill if needed (Audi or VW).

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/...Es2Qa8CMLs9zdkff7C9lYd0Lu8dM_Alp0JhoCOaPw_wcB

The instructions to remove are here and it isn't hard to do. Robby (runonbeer) is here and may do it for you. Not really close to Burnet though.

http://www.runonbeer.com/

He is about as close as I would have been anyway at 65 miles or so. Email him in advance and ask.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning,

If removing the misfueling adapter won't allow a high-flow nozzle to fit, then I really have no good reason to remove it. I just need to ensure I have plenty of fuel before heading into the boonies. ;) I have one of the adapters from VW/Audi. Guess where it is? At home. UGH! :p

Thanks for the responses. I was feeling a bit irritated by the event and can be a little more level-headed now that I've slept. :eek:

Scott

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Adapter

"I am in Round Rock and have done my own. I won't do anyone else's though. I have put mine back and just keep the tools (if you would really call them that) in my car just in case. Even with it removed it won't fit the high flow nozzles anyway, only an improper gas nozzle. I have had no issues here or any where near here with that. I have yet to encounter a pump nozzle that hasn't fit. There is an adapter you can buy for a few dollars that will let you fill if needed (Audi or VW)."

Good advice, did the same thing, took the adapter out, put it back in. Even without the adapter the high flow nozzles at truck stops and some HEB stations didn't fit.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The only time I thought I may have an issue was way out on the Mississippi delta from New Orleans, as far as you can go. Went out there to see the historic old Fort Jackson. Not many places to refuel out there. One had the wrong nozzle and didn't fit. The next was okay. Should have fueled before going all the way out there. Have fun on your trip in Texas! You will be getting here just in time for the real heat to start.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
LOL! Agreed! Unfortunately, this is the largest chunk of time that my daughter has away from school. Sure, my parents could come to VA during other times of the year. But then they'd be in VA... ;)

BTW, we're heading back to VA on Thursday, too. We're leaving Burnet in the morning, stopping in Waco for a couple of hours, and then heading up to I-30.