misfire on startup

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
this was the first time today. i have an 04 jetta. tuning box is the only mod i ever got. currently at 200 000 kms.

i started it warm after stopping at a store and it was felt through the car when it happened. startup has been getting a little rough the last few months and im wondering whats causing it.

bad compression? dirty injectors? worse? some expertise would be appreciated. thanks ppl.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
what other signs does a bad lift pump exhibit! i need all the info i can get before giving my mechanic my credit card.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The simplest is that you should hear it run, for about 1-2 seconds, each time the key is cycled. It is under the rear right seat.

You can lift the seat if you need to by just inserting your hand into the joint between the seat back and seat bottom, grabbing the seat bottom and jerking upward.

You can also do some flow checks pretty easily - it takes a pair of pliers for the fuel hose clamps. Undo the fuel line that goes from the center of the fuel filter to the metal fuel line at the metal fuel line. Stick the hose into a jar. Cycle the key, you should get about 50 ml of fuel for each key stroke.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672 may help. I think post 5 tells you how to remove it and replace it. Again, not rocket science.

If your fuel pump/filter is good, then I would inspect your cam.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
ok. lifter pump is not a problem. i was under the impression that if my cam is on its way out that a knocking noise would be audible. there is no knocking. dan, is it a difficult task to get a look at the cam? i dont want to go somewhere that a couldnt go back.