Mis-fueling prevention ideas

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
See, now there's the problem, @chrisfiat. We're talking about dealing with the brain-dead here, and your proposed solution, while elegantly simple, common-sense, and wise, won't succeed with the crowd we're trying to address here. These are the folks who've already ignored (1) verbal instructions to fill with diesel only; (2) failed to read the "diesel fuel only" printed on the "gas cap;" (3) not noticed the odd smell associated with that "gas cap;" and (4) generally proven themselves ignorant of the possibility that the vehicle at hand MIGHT call for paying attention to ANYTHING.
how about we take away there diesels and give them a "k" car with an am radio. a year of that and they will learn

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I noticed that my 2013 Passat TDI claims to have a device to prevent the smaller unleaded gas nozzles from being inserted. Do older/other TDIs not have this, or is the issue that they don't work? (No, I'm not going to try it....)

Not sure how it would distinguish since the automotive diesel pumps have the same size nozzle as the gasoline ones..

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
IIRC, the small diesel nozzle is supposed to be about 24mm diameter, while the gas is supposed to be about 21 or 22mm. I think I saw this somewhere on tdiclub.com.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Not sure how it would distinguish since the automotive diesel pumps have the same size nozzle as the gasoline ones..
In most areas the auto diesel nozzles are the old leaded gasoline size. Unleaded gas nozzles are a little smaller. This was so that unleaded nozzles would not fit into cars that required unleaded gas (remember when both types were available?). The petroleum companies just use the old leaded gas nozzles to pump auto diesel.

Have Fun!

Don

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
how about we take away there diesels and give them a "k" car with an am radio. a year of that and they will learn

LMAO!!!! My aunt and uncle had an Aries K, NEVER had the plugs changed. 4 banger mounted sideways. Plugs were against the firewall. Per repair manual; "...remove engine.." :eek:

jettaubetta

TDI
none (totalled) was a 2012+ nav :(
This is the method iv been using lately... im a noob ;)

that and the huge letters on the pump :)

FourJs

TDI
Sportwagen

So I just bought a '13 TDI Sportwagen. Stop at the station for my first fueling (after 600 miles on the dealers fill up :D) and find this "Fuel Mistake Guard" in the filler neck.

I'm at the diesel island and the nozzle in one pump is large enough to fill the titanic in about 10 sec, the nozzle on the other pump is your garden variety gasoline diameter - neither of these will fit or open the guard.

Get out the owners manual and find you have to have a "diesel" nozzle in order to fuel the wagen.

Drive to next station and find (to my wife's relief) the correct size nozzle and fill up.

Anyone make an adaptor for emergency use or know how to remove the guard?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll have to take a look at the next 2013 I get in the shop for whatever reason and see if there's a way to bypass it in the event that the diesel pump has the wrong handle on it.. The ones near me have the "wrong" handle on most of them..

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those are good for adapting the giant diesel nozzle to the smaller hole, but will they work for the gasser nozzle on a diesel pump? I think it might work if it will open the throat in the filler neck..

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those are good for adapting the giant diesel nozzle to the smaller hole, but will they work for the gasser nozzle on a diesel pump? I think it might work if it will open the throat in the filler neck..
I think that it was designed to adapt for the larger truck size (high flow) nozzles (like you stated). However, if the station is using the smaller leaded gasoline size nozzles for diesel fuel, it should work for that too. it will open the flap/door in the new 2013 VWs and the smaller unleaded gas nozzles should fit into it (with any luck). I have not tried this. The biggest downside to using these adapters is that the auto shutoff feature on the pump nozzle probably won't work. Therefore, you have to be really careful when using one of these adapters.

Have Fun!

Don