Minor electrical problem

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Car: 2011 JSW TDI 6sp
My center instrument display between the tach and speedo went dim a while ago. For a while it would reliably light up at some point every day, then it went dim for about a year. Display still there, just not lit up. Fast forward to this summer, moved to central CA, A/C had stopped working months before, and the display started reliably lighting up every day again! It was 100f every day for a while, driving was pretty miserable with no a/c. Then I got my a/c fixed, and the display lights up no more.
My question is, like, what the heck? My only idea is old water damage from leaky sunroof(permanently sealed shut now so no more water).
Vcds says intermittent something-or other, I don't remember. But the light obviously still works, as does the rest of the gauge cluster and cluster warning lights, so I'm not gonna replace the cluster.

Does it seem like something I should bother trying to fix, or a can of worms I should leave closed? I'm used to it being dim, but I admit it was nice being able to see it lit up for a while!

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Ooh, also, if there's a way to turn off the annoying thing that tells you to shift up or down, I'd love to turn that off if I can get the display lit back up. It's super distracting and gives terrible advice.