Minneapolis GTG

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. Lots of yard work to do, need to celebrate my mom's birthday and have other projects to tackle. Hope to make it whenever we have the next one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
OK, if you guys are brave enough to try it, I'm game. I'll start hitting those nuts with penetrating oil and check to make sure I've got all the parts.
Are you driving this car right now? If so I would be careful hitting it with oil as the turbo may get hot enough to at the very least cause the oil to smoke. We can get them loose with just pb blaster and a map torch on site. Shouldn't need initial oiling. Copper nuts come off pretty easy. The biggest challenge is one of the nuts is kind of buried.

atunicus

TDI
2005 allroad bhw, 2013 touareg
I am just across the river. I'll swing by with my allroad tdi.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I won't set it afire...

Are you driving this car right now? If so I would be careful hitting it with oil as the turbo may get hot enough to at the very least cause the oil to smoke. We can get them loose with just pb blaster and a map torch on site. Shouldn't need initial oiling. Copper nuts come off pretty easy. The biggest challenge is one of the nuts is kind of buried.
Not driving it everyday, I've got motorcycles and a 2015 TDI for that. Too busy today, but I'll jack it up tomorrow and after the turbo cools spray the fasteners with PB if they won't budge. I won't start it 'til saturday morning, though I may spray with PB again on friday morning if the fasteners are still frozen. Sound OK?

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Not driving it everyday, I've got motorcycles and a 2015 TDI for that. Too busy today, but I'll jack it up tomorrow and after the turbo cools spray the fasteners with PB if they won't budge. I won't start it 'til saturday morning, though I may spray with PB again on friday morning if the fasteners are still frozen. Sound OK?
Since they are copper nuts they really don't cease up. I would say you don't need to soak them. They basically break free with heat due to the expansion rate of the copper.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Exhaust system looks doable...

Since they are copper nuts they really don't cease up. I would say you don't need to soak them. They basically break free with heat due to the expansion rate of the copper.
I took off the lower engine cover AKA bash plate and gave the nuts holding the downpipe on the turbo a twist- The most accessible one actually moved a bit and I didn't try too hard on the others, so this may be an easy job. Checked to make sure I have all the parts being the box was coming open when I received it, looks like I'm missing one rubber hanger from the hardware kit but the old one looks reusable.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I took off the lower engine cover AKA bash plate and gave the nuts holding the downpipe on the turbo a twist- The most accessible one actually moved a bit and I didn't try too hard on the others, so this may be an easy job. Checked to make sure I have all the parts being the box was coming open when I received it, looks like I'm missing one rubber hanger from the hardware kit but the old one looks reusable.
Yeah with heat they will come right off then. Hard part is fitting fat hands into the tight space. I would just reuse them. They aren't a super critical part.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Should we bring any sides or meat?
Sides. I have a 10 lb Boston Butt Brining now for barbequed pulled pork. Maybe a dozen brats and Coleslaw. My wife will probably by chips but I dunno.

If you have a meat that you would like the grill will be going.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll bring my tool box that I can lift into the Golf, 4 jack stands, I'm gonna have a cordless drill and driver with anyway, and my longest breaker bar and maybe some impact sockets and easy out too. Oh, and a folding chair and diet Dew. Should I bring a floor jack or anything else?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well the event preparations will most likely be done around 10:00, That why I was saying around noon. Text me 3203671807 if y'all want an earlier start But if people want to start wrenching at 5:30 am you can do that.

I have a nice 2 ton aluminum floor jack 17 inch lift, 2 jack stands, ramps, 3/8 extensions for the 3 flange nut. I have a Dewalt impact driver 1200 ft-lb in reverse 20 volt tool. It will take off axel nuts with the car in the air. Not sure I have 2 13mm sockets though.

Oh the house smells good right now. The pork is at the 3 hour point of cooking. This time I dry brined it for about an hour with fresh ground black pepper and chili powder. Sugar/Salt Molasses Apple Cider vinegar brine.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Georgia Peach confirmed 10:00 is ok. See I married a woman who as the hostess wants everything just so for all y'all.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll try to make it before noon...

I'm bring several different sockets in the 13 mm. size and 1/2. 3/8. an 1/2 inch ratchets. Had room in the Golf so I threw in a floor jack, pair of ramps, and 4 jack stands too. I've got a lawn to mow at my old place in north Minneapolis too so I'll do that before I come over- It's a small lot so hopefully it will go quickly. See you tomorrow!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The garage is on the alley behind the house. There is room for maybe 4 cars back there. If you park in front you access the backyard by walking down the north side of the house and there is a gate.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Can't make it today. Packing the truck to go out of town in the morning isn't going as planned lol

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Chris, thanks for hosting! Was great to see a couple "old" faces and meet a couple "new" ones.

I wasn't able to stick around and heckle up to my usual standards while others got dirty. I didn't even learn any new magical incantations made up of swear words, must not have been any work getting done while I was there. :)

And silly me, I didn't even have any brisket, which was no doubt wonderful! Next time . . .

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The exhaust is in with just a couple of mount issue and a little leak. Yes you were silly as we have quite a bit left.

Yes we had a small crowd and a good time.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help with the exhaust!

Actually, you guys did most of the work. Car ran great all the way home, seemed to have picked up a bit of power from fixing that vacuum leak and cleaning the snow screen. Looking forward to future GTGs!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, you guys did most of the work. Car ran great all the way home, seemed to have picked up a bit of power from fixing that vacuum leak and cleaning the snow screen. Looking forward to future GTGs!
You experienced the best that TDICLUB does. 3 engineers with varying experience and age all working to get you car on the road. Nick said he would not wrench but he was a great resource providing guidance on other things that should be checked.