Mini GTG/mod day with Matt-98AHU

Tap2112

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5sp (SOLD), 2002 Jetta GLS auto (gave to daughter), 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5 sp (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI PKG 2 with Nav
Mini GTG/mod day in NorCal with Matt-98AHU

Anyone need any services from TDI guru Matt in the very near future? I may be having him come up to do some clutch and tranny work on two of my TDIs and I have a four post lift for him to do the work. I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to have him do some work on other people's cars while he is here since I know some of you can't make the big GTG in March.

Haven't set a specific date for his arrival just yet but we are discussing mid Feb.

I'm not looking to make this a huge GTG since I don't want to draw attention away from the San Pable event in March - and this is at my personal home so parking is limited - but I thought some of you might benefit from the lift since certain jobs (clutch, tranny, etc) are much easier when the car is in the air. Only caveat is that the work must be finished same day as I won't store any cars on the lift overnight (it's my parking space above my wife's car in my garage).

Also, if anyone is curious about Biodiesel this would be a good chance to share ideas, tips and experiences. I have been making Biodiesel for a number of years and have been successfully using it for more than 100K miles in my 4 diesels, including 3 ALH TDI's and a 7.3L F250 4x4.

If you're interested in having Matt do some work please PM me (don't just post up here as I don't check this thread daily). I need to coordinate dates and specific jobs for Matt if this is going to be successful.

Once a date is firmed up and we have some scheduled jobs I will post up more details.

Hope to meet a few more people as it has been three years since I've been to the San Pable event.

Feb 7 UPDATE:

Just as an update. I confirmed with Matt the date of Sat Feb 16. If there is more work than he can complete in one day it will become a two day event spilling over into Sunday the 17th.

As of now I have 5 confirmed people/cars plus my own TDIs. It will be everything from timing belt and routine maintenance to clutch work, gear replacements, nozzles, suspension and custom tuning. So a little bit of everything.

And with the four post lift each of you will get a good look at the underside of your cars if you haven't already done so. Makes it easier to spot unknown issues before they become problematic.

Last edited:

Tap2112

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5sp (SOLD), 2002 Jetta GLS auto (gave to daughter), 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon 5 sp (SOLD), 2006 Jetta TDI PKG 2 with Nav
140 views and no response (and no PMs)? A bit surprised especially since it seems that some people might not be able to make the San Pablo event in March. I thought a few people might jump all over this.

Anyhow, I'll keep this offer open for the rest of the week but if there is no interest I will pull it down on Friday since I leave Sat for 4-5 days and will need to know the status before I take off.

Cheers.

kongjie

TDI
2000 Golf TDI Blue
I have work for Matt to do (timing belt and perhaps suspension) and could make a mid-February date. Feb. 9 is no good for me, but I think the next week would work.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
There is a GTG planned for March ... for which I have only confirmed the date earlier this morning.

I would contact Matt and tell him about your offer to host a mini GTG since he is up here quite often and this would make him life easier to do the work at one location.

Last edited:

Tap2112

TDI
There is a GTG planned for March ... for which I have only confirmed the date earlier this morning.

I would contact Matt and tell him about your offer to host a mini GTG since he is up here quite often and this would make him life easier to do the work at one location.
I've been in contact with Matt and we are working on a date that he can come up here in Feb. I wasn't trying to supplant the March event (in fact I specifically stated that in my post) but some people can't make the March event - including myself since March 17 is my birthday and I am hoping to be in Tahoe.

I've had a few emails and PMs about it and am trying to figure out which date will work best for everyone, including me. As of right now the weekend of Feb 15-17 is looking best since I am busy on Sat the 9th (and so is one of the people who PM'd me about having work done) and I don't think Sunday alone will be enough time. I am flexible during the week, but I am guessing most other people are not so I figured a full weekend should be scheduled - including a Fri or Mon, if necessary.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I might be in as I need to have 2 small things looked at ...

Tap2112

TDI
So it is looking like this will take place the weekend of Feb 16-17. Not sure if it will be just one or both days (depends how many more people respond with work needed)

Here is a brief recap of the work requested so far:

Member#1: clutch, injector nozzles (on two TDIs), possible custom tune, 5th gear swap, other minor odds and ends

Member#2: Timing belt/tensioner/water pump and possibly some suspension work.

Member#3: 5th gear swap

Member#4 (maybe): DSG service and new cam on B5.5 BRM5.5 BRM

Member#5 (maybe): 2 small things

Tap2112

TDI
Where dis be happ'nin? The Bay Area is so far-flung...
Discovery Bay. Let me know if you're interested in coming. I will be PMing the address to all those who plan to attend.

Tap2112

TDI
Updated first post...

Tyan

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I would like to have Matt to check out my 2004 TDI Golf. It probably needs a turbo replacement since it's making noise.

Tyan

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
what type of noise it is making?
High pitch whining noise, bearing?

Lost power, sometime drives ok, it seems like the computer is trying to compensating it with a different programing curl

Leaking exhaust from the engine compartment, which some of it get sucks into the AC intake.

There's some oil in the inter-cooler. Not sure is normal or not.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
On a PD, that is almost certainly an exhaust leak from the egr cooler.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
On a PD, that is almost certainly an exhaust leak from the egr cooler.
Justin is very likely spot on with that one. Bring it on by, I'll have a look and verify! Let you know what parts you need to fix it up.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Your offer is a very generous one that did not go unnoticed. I am sorry that I have not responded. I have been lurking to see when a date would be selected. I have work I would like Matt to do. He and I have been in and out of contact over the last few months regarding a Mark IV shifter mod. The last I knew he was looking for parts. I could also have a TB done, or I could wait for the next GTG. My schedule always revolves around my children. They normally visit with me on the first and third weekend of every month. Looks like that means this one will not fit with my schedule.

Tap2112

TDI
Your offer is a very generous one that did not go unnoticed. I am sorry that I have not responded. I have been lurking to see when a date would be selected. I have work I would like Matt to do. He and I have been in and out of contact over the last few months regarding a Mark IV shifter mod. The last I knew he was looking for parts. I could also have a TB done, or I could wait for the next GTG. My schedule always revolves around my children. They normally visit with me on the first and third weekend of every month. Looks like that means this one will not fit with my schedule.
Sorry you won't be able to make it. Won't be anything compared to the big event in March but a few of us can hang out and get some work done on our cars that can't make it to San Pablo.

This probably won't be the last event I have. Other than somewhat limited parking, my place is set up for entertaining.

oddjob

TDI
2001 Golf
If there's time, I'd like to have Matt check over my car too. It makes a whining noise under hard acceleration but seems to run ok otherwise.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
If there's time, I'd like to have Matt check over my car too. It makes a whining noise under hard acceleration but seems to run ok otherwise.
How many miles do you have on that turbo?

If the whining noise is indeed a failing turbo... DO NOT WAIT to replace it... it can really damage your engine when it goes

Tap2112

TDI
How many miles do you have on that turbo?
If the whining noise is indeed a failing turbo... DO NOT WAIT to replace it... it can really damage your engine when it goes

Hmmm, my wife's car makes a whining sound (generally only in 4th gear under hard acceleration). Beginning to wonder if this is the same turbo failure symptom. I never hear it in 1st or 3rd gear and only on a rare occasion in 2nd gear. But quite often in 4th gear.

Is there a test, or something other than an educated guess to determine if a new turbo is necessary? Guess I could just ask Matt in 3 days when he gets here, come to think of it.

Tap2112

TDI
So the day is drawing near for this event. Matt is scheduled to be here on Saturday and it will be a full day of fixing rides and hanging out.

I live on the water with a huge deck for BBQing and enjoying the nice weather we're supposed to have so feel free to bring some potluck (pasta salad, dessert, chips/salsa, soda, beer, whatever). I'll provide hot dogs and hamburgers (even Boca burgers for anyone who is vegetarian).

Let's make a fun day of this...not just a day of wrenching on the cars.

kongjie

TDI
2000 Golf TDI Blue
I'll provide hot dogs and hamburgers (even Boca burgers for anyone who is vegetarian).

Let's make a fun day of this...not just a day of wrenching on the cars.
How considerate. I am vegan so that would be great. Don't know if I have the time to come up with something pot luck but I will bring some beer for sure.

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
I'll try to make it sometime during the day so I can meet people. The clutch I ordered still hasn't arrived (ordered from Boraparts.com), so I've emailed Matt and let him know. Hopefully he can fit me in at the next GTG.

Tap2112

TDI
Which clutch did you order?

Tap2112

TDI
The day is here. See everyone at 10am or a bit after. Weather is supposed to be awesome so it should be a good day!

SMR

TDI
Currently: None :(, Previously: '04 Golf GLS, '12 Jetta 6M; Non-TDI Diesel: 116d EffDynEd
And a good day it was! Thanks, again, Tom. And thanks to Matt for installing my gear and letting us watch his expertise in motion.

It was great meeting everyone. I hope I'll see you guys again in March.

[Tom, be sure to get pictures of those biodiesel-treated injectors!]

kongjie

TDI
2000 Golf TDI Blue
Great day and many thanks to Tap2112 for hosting this mini-GTG, for his hospitality and his generosity in sharing his varied expertise. It was eye-opening. Lunch on the deck overlooking the water wasn't bad, either. ;)

And of course thanks to Matt's hard work into the wee hours I drove home with a new timing belt and the assorted extras.

mudhen1

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks to everyone for making it a great day, and especially to Tom for providing the venue and great chow. I went on the Bora Parts website last night and they have the injection pump i need for about $400 off their regular price. Great timing. I will be all over that tomorrow morning so I will have it for Matt to install in March.

Tap2112

TDI
Glad it worked out for everyone and it was great meeting some new people. Matt had two full days of work. Saturday working on everyone else's cars and Sunday all day working on my two TDIs.

Loving the updates Matt did to my cars (including the cool window/key fob mod) along with the added power my newest TDI now has.

Thanks to Matt for all his hard work Matt and to everyone who came out and made this a successful event.

Turns out I might be able to make the March event after all so I may see some of you again next month.