Mini Bixenons in my New Beetle!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Thanks to your inspiration James, I ordered these parts last Friday:

1 x Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit (FXRStageIII)
Re-sealing Glue No Thanks
Projectors LHD (North American Standard)
CCFL Angel Eyes No
Bulbs New Philips 85122+ D2S
Ballasts Morimoto 5Five (50w)
Wire Harness Relay: H1
Shrouds MC-R

Tracking indicates that I should get them tomorrow...very exciting. I just hope I ordered the right stuff!
Yes, that's the stuff, but did you specify version 1 (or 1.1) FX-Rs?
The hangers I sent are for the original, version 1 series of the FX-R and probably won't fit the new version 3.0 FX-Rs.
If you get ver 3.0 FX-Rs, let me know and I'll fab new hangers for you.

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Yes, that's the stuff, but did you specify version 1 (or 1.1) FX-Rs?
The hangers I sent are for the original, version 1 series of the FX-R and probably won't fit the new version 3.0 FX-Rs.
If you get ver 3.0 FX-Rs, let me know and I'll fab new hangers for you.

James
Man, I must be behind the times. I thought TRS had gone back to version 1 and that was all that they were selling at this point, so I didn't even give it any further thought. Looking at the kit page, they don't call out the version of the projectors at all. Actually, I just looked again and it does say, "Built around our FX-R 3.0 bi-xenon projectors". So almost certainly, I will get 3.0.

So is there an easy way to tell which ones I got once I actually see them? And aside from the fact that these here brackets I'm looking at on my desk aren't going to work, is there some reasons to prefer one version over the other?

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Man, I must be behind the times. I thought TRS had gone back to version 1 and that was all that they were selling at this point, so I didn't even give it any further thought. Looking at the kit page, they don't call out the version of the projectors at all. Actually, I just looked again and it does say, "Built around our FX-R 3.0 bi-xenon projectors". So almost certainly, I will get 3.0.

So is there an easy way to tell which ones I got once I actually see them? And aside from the fact that these here brackets I'm looking at on my desk aren't going to work, is there some reasons to prefer one version over the other?

TRS did go back to ver 1, when ver 2 didn't pan out. They just recently went to ver 3, but supposedly still offer ver 1, if you ask for them.

There's a few improvements to the ver. 3 FX-R.
1. Mounting lugs moved, making it more compact allowing more shroud choices with less cutting of the shroud and easier mounting.
2. More even beam spread, with better foreground control.

Try the hanger bracket, see if it'll fit. (I doubt it will) If they don't fit, and if you can stand the waiting about 10 days, I'll order a set of 3.0s and whip you up another set of brackets.

I was planning on trying the 3.0s anyway, just haven't ordered them yet.
That'll give me the ability to mount ver 1, ver 2 & ver 3...

Let me know what you'd like to do!
James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Ackkk. Okay, I'll let you know how it looks...assuming the shipment actually arrives today...

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Well James...it looks "good", but no documentation was included, so I have to admit that I'm working in the dark here (ironic, is it not?). The Version 3 projectors don't look like the ones you've pictured, but I'm guessing that the solenoid should be at the bottom. If that's true, and if your brackets are intended to mount in the top two mounting holes, then the mounting holes on the V3 projector must be almost a half-inch closer together than on the V1 projector, because it misses by almost that amount.

On a separate note, I'm not all that jazzed with the included wiring harness. It uses a couple of big ol' relays and a bunch of bulky Y-Cables and adapters, which would not have been my first choice for a car with as little under-hood real estate as a Beetle. Honestly, I don't even understand how the included harness could actually work...at first glance it looks like it would be forever stuck on high-beam. Then again, no wiring diagram or schematic was included, so it's kind of hard to tell.

I looked on their website, but I couldn't find anything that accurately describes what I have. I think I probably have the "Heavy Duty Single Xenon Harness", but it came with some additional Y-Cables and adapters that are not shown or discussed in the PDF. I called on the phone, but the guy acted like what I have is just right (even though it is not documented). He offered some advice, but I'm afraid that I don't absorb that kind of verbal information very well...I'd prefer to see it. I'm sure I can reverse-engineer it, but I have to admit that I am somewhat annoyed it didn't just come with docs.

So anyway, if you don't think I will be able to adjust these brackets, it looks like I will need new ones. What are your thoughts?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Update:

Made more improvements and am working towards "production" quality.

Recent improvements:
1. High precison, adjustable ball linkages
2. Quick change servo mount (allows easy & fast servo replacement)
3. Switched to digital, programmable servos.

Currently, I'm working on sourcing an electrical connectors that will mount on the headlight's back cover. The idea is to simplify and clean up the wiring. One cable and one connector would be ideal for all electrical connections, but probably not feasable due to the high voltage nature of the HID ballast, so it'll probably have to be two connections. The servo signal line is susceptable to interference from the HID's high voltage startup current.

I'm also working to improve the precision of the parts, simplify the retrofit process and eliminate trial and error alignment methods. Yesterday, I managed to successfully align the lights on the bench (off the car) for the first time. This was due in part to increased precision of the projector mount (hanger), as well as the new, adjustable servo linkage.
The ideal here would be to have the accuracy and precision such that the retrofit would not require alignment of any kind. Just bolt on and go.
My previous attempts all required tedious and time consuming trial and error alignment methods.

Concerning the effort to increase precision, I've gotten away from simple hand tools and have invested in metal working tools.
Another invaluable tool that I've aquired is a digital angle gauge that is accurate to within .1 degree. This uses the same technology (mems gyro/accelerometer) that I'm working to integrate into the hybrid auto-leveling function.

The digital, programmable servos are another exciting improvement.
Due to the headlight's design, the servos are facing one another, causing inverse rotation. I orginally used a "servo reverser" to change the rotational direction of one servo. Of the several servo reversers I tested, none offered a truely proportional inverse signal. This caused the headlights movement to be slightly out of sync with one another.
The only feasable way around that with an analog servo was to mechanically reverse the servo's wiring. Doable, but it requires tearing the servo apart and re-wiring it. (a time consuming pain in the butt)
You can buy servos that are "reversed", but they are expensive.
Well, with a digital servo, it takes about 5 seconds to hook it up to a programmer and send it a reverse command. (winner!)
Other benefits of the programmable digital servos:
1. Opens up the possibility of electronic vertical alignment of the beams.
2. Faster response than comparably priced analog servos.
3. More torque than a comparably priced analog servo.
4. Offers a fail safe point if it loses PWM signal.
5. Has overload protection capability (less chance of a failure)
6. The same cost as the analog servo I was using!

I'm now testing the digital servos - looks good!

I'm ordering the new FX-R 3.0 today to give it a look and setup a mount for it. Stay tuned!

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I had a chance to try out one of the projectors on the bench, and I was pretty impressed by the low current draw. It only pulls about 5 amps for a few seconds during start-up, then falls off rapidly to around 3 amps.

Since the Beetle's stock wiring harness is fused at 10 amps, I am asking myself why in the world I even need an aftermarket wiring harness. These lights appear to pull less current than the OEM halogens except at start-up, and even then it is very close.

Any thoughts on this?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Well James...it looks "good", but no documentation was included, so I have to admit that I'm working in the dark here (ironic, is it not?). The Version 3 projectors don't look like the ones you've pictured, but I'm guessing that the solenoid should be at the bottom. If that's true, and if your brackets are intended to mount in the top two mounting holes, then the mounting holes on the V3 projector must be almost a half-inch closer together than on the V1 projector, because it misses by almost that amount.
<snip...>
I was afraid of that. TRS didn't list the dimensions of the 3.0's mounting lugs, but I was reasonably sure they moved them. I'm ordering the 3.0 today. Once they arrive, it should only take a day or two for me to get the dimensions figured out and fab up a set of hangers for the 3.0.

In the meantime, you might be able to loosen the nuts on the bracket by applying heat to it. It's locked down with red locktite. Locktite claims 500 degrees F is required to break the bond. The bracket itself is threaded for the rods, but I only used locktite on the nuts.
If you can get the nuts loose, use a wire brush to clean the threads of locktite. If you have to apply to much torque to the nuts, you'll strip them or the rod, or snap the rod... Sorry, I made it to be permanent.

On the wiring harness, I don't have a clue what you've got. Guess I should order one of those, too, to see if they're worth using.
Do they list a part # for the harness you got?

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I had a chance to try out one of the projectors on the bench, and I was pretty impressed by the low current draw. It only pulls about 5 amps for a few seconds during start-up, then falls off rapidly to around 3 amps.

Since the Beetle's stock wiring harness is fused at 10 amps, I am asking myself why in the world I even need an aftermarket wiring harness. These lights appear to pull less current than the OEM halogens except at start-up, and even then it is very close.

Any thoughts on this?

I ran 35 watt ballasts off the stock wiring with no ill effects, at all.
If you're sure about the 5 amps on startup, you should be fine, as 55 watt halogens draw about 4.5 amps.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I ran 35 watt ballasts off the stock wiring with no ill effects, at all.
If you're sure about the 5 amps on startup, you should be fine, as 55 watt halogens draw about 4.5 amps.
I should probably do some more testing...I don't know how sophisticated the ballasts are, but it is conceivable that they could pull more current at lower input voltages if they are regulating the high-voltage output. My bench power supply was set at 13.8 volts while I was testing...the ballasts might pull more current at, say, 12 volts. It would be nice if I didn't need the harness though...

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I should probably do some more testing...I don't know how sophisticated the ballasts are, but it is conceivable that they could pull more current at lower input voltages if they are regulating the high-voltage output. My bench power supply was set at 13.8 volts while I was testing...the ballasts might pull more current at, say, 12 volts. It would be nice if I didn't need the harness though...
Yeah, TRS's website claims them to be 8 amp draw (when cold starting). That's cutting it a little close... Still, theoretically, the fuse should protect you, if you choose to run without a harness.
The thing I don't like is that the bug's wiring is awfully thin. Not sure of the gauge, but it's at least 18 gauge, if not smaller.

BTW, I've got the FX-R 3.0 on it's way and should have the hanger for it figured out within a few days of receiving them. One advantage is that the shrouds should fit better, with little or no trimming. Version 1 requires quite a bit of trimming to get most shrouds to fit.

Version 3.0 also appears to have improved foreground lighting, smoother distribution with less streaking. We'll see - I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Last edited:

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Yeah, TRS's website claims them to be 8 amp draw (when cold starting). That's cutting it a little close... Still, theoretically, the fuse should protect you, if you choose to run without a harness.
The thing I don't like is that the bug's wiring is awfully thin. Not sure of the gauge, but it's at least 18 gauge, if not smaller.

BTW, I've got the FX-R 3.0 on it's way and should have the hanger for it figured out within a few days of receiving them. One advantage is that the shrouds should fit better, with little or no trimming. Version 1 requires quite a bit of trimming to get most shrouds to fit.

Version 3.0 also appears to have improved foreground lighting, smoother distribution with less streaking. We'll see - I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I tried it at a lower voltage, and while I was using a different meter, it looked like it was pulling more current. The lowest I could go was about 11 volts and at that voltage the run current was about 6.5 amps. Interestingly, it would not start at that voltage. Apparently it very briefly pulls very high current at start-up, so when I introduced enough test leads to my setup to actually measure it, the lamp wouldn't start. The spike was too short to see with my multimeter. I have another meter that has some peak-reading capabilities...I'll try it with that one when I get a few minutes.

In any case, I think the case for stout wiring was made. These ballasts need significant current to start, if only for an instant, so a high-resistance connection just won't work reliably.

Meanwhile, I'll try to wait patiently!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I tried it at a lower voltage, and while I was using a different meter, it looked like it was pulling more current. The lowest I could go was about 11 volts and at that voltage the run current was about 6.5 amps. Interestingly, it would not start at that voltage. Apparently it very briefly pulls very high current at start-up... <snip>
The ballast draws more current during the "startup" phase than during "run" mode, but I've read that most ballasts will draw even more current during a "hot re-strike". Hot re-strike occurs when when you cycle a hot bulb on - off and then back on. Many early HID ballasts and most metal halid lights couldn't restart a hot bulb, without allowing them too cool off.
The newer digital ballasts (like yours) get around this problem by providing a higher voltage "startup" phase (around 30k volts) for a hot re-strike.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
On the wiring harness, I don't have a clue what you've got. Guess I should order one of those, too, to see if they're worth using.
Do they list a part # for the harness you got?
I didn't notice this question before...the Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit page just describes it as, "Wire Harness Relay: H1".

When I spoke to Andrew on the phone, he told me that I have this one:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf/trs_tech/Heavy_Duty_Single_Xenon_Harness.pdf

but I also have a bunch of Y-cables and adapters that are not shown in that PDF.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I didn't notice this question before...the Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit page just describes it as, "Wire Harness Relay: H1".

When I spoke to Andrew on the phone, he told me that I have this one:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf/trs_tech/Heavy_Duty_Single_Xenon_Harness.pdf

but I also have a bunch of Y-cables and adapters that are not shown in that PDF.
From the best I can tell, the only difference is the the "harness input" plug. This plugs into one of your lowbeam bulb connectors and acts as the trigger for the relays. The beetle uses an H1 bulb, which standard spade connectors will connect with. Worse case is that you'd clip the connector off and crimp on a couple of spade connectors.

So it shouldn't be a problem, no matter which harness they sent.

James

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
From the best I can tell, the only difference is the the "harness input" plug. This plugs into one of your lowbeam bulb connectors and acts as the trigger for the relays. The beetle uses an H1 bulb, which standard spade connectors will connect with. Worse case is that you'd clip the connector off and crimp on a couple of spade connectors.

So it shouldn't be a problem, no matter which harness they sent.

James
Sure, I can wire just about anything, so it's not a big problem for me, but I can see where it might be for some folks. At some level, I just want to be able to plug it in and start enjoying it...I'd like it better if I didn't have to reverse-engineer or re-engineer the kit. Maybe I was expecting too much.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Sure, I can wire just about anything, so it's not a big problem for me, but I can see where it might be for some folks. At some level, I just want to be able to plug it in and start enjoying it...I'd like it better if I didn't have to reverse-engineer or re-engineer the kit. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Unless it's specifically made for the car, it's not going to be an exact fit.
Takes alot of time, effort, and money to make a retrofit plug and play.
Ask me how I know! ;)

Even then, some folks will easily be able to install their own, some won't.

James

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I just received the 3.0's for my wifes Solara, it is plug and play except for mounting the parts and running a lead to power and ground. There should have been two connectors with no leads/pins in them. The leads from the shutter solenoid should plug into that connector, after you have fed the wires out through the bulb cover at final assembly. That connector should plug into one of the 'extra' plugs in the harness to give you your hi beam. The other connector in the harness should plug into your original connector going to the original bulb. This is assuming you did get the correct harness.
In one of the HIDplanet forum posts on the 3.0, somebody did post the mounting hole measurements, I can't find it right now, but it was not a TRS post.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I just received the 3.0's for my wifes Solara, it is plug and play except for mounting the parts and running a lead to power and ground. There should have been two connectors with no leads/pins in them. The leads from the shutter solenoid should plug into that connector, after you have fed the wires out through the bulb cover at final assembly. That connector should plug into one of the 'extra' plugs in the harness to give you your hi beam. The other connector in the harness should plug into your original connector going to the original bulb. This is assuming you did get the correct harness.
In one of the HIDplanet forum posts on the 3.0, somebody did post the mounting hole measurements, I can't find it right now, but it was not a TRS post.
From the pdf Mark linked, the relay harness shown has no provision for the high beam solenoids. No matter, because for the beetle, all you have to do is put spade connectors on the pigtails from the solenoid and plug them to the stock high beam bulb connectors.

I sent Mark a projector mount that fits ver 1 (or 1.1). Even though I'd read that TRS was now shipping ver 3.0, it completely slipped my mind.

Ah well, I've got the 3.0 FX-Rs enroute and need them anyway. The margin of error is so fine that I wouldn't even want to think about making a hanger bracket from dimensions only.

Have you fired up your 3.0s yet? I really like the output shots I've seen and can't wait to see what they look like in person.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Thanks for taking the time to reply Jim.

I probably wasn't very clear, but I wasn't really looking for help hooking it up...I'm kind of technical about things like this. The point I was trying to make was that the harness was not properly documented, and it's bulky. I'll probably chop it up and streamline it so that is will be a more elegant fit for my particular car, but again, not everyone has a cable shop at their disposal.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
From the pdf Mark linked, the relay harness shown has no provision for the high beam solenoids.
They include y-cables and adapters, presumably for that purpose...it would probably work fine on most cars, but seems like an awful lot of clutter for a Beetle.

No matter, because for the beetle, all you have to do is put spade connectors on the pigtails from the solenoid and plug them to the stock high beam bulb connectors.

I sent Mark a projector mount that fits ver 1 (or 1.1). Even though I'd read that TRS was now shipping ver 3.0, it completely slipped my mind.

Ah well, I've got the 3.0 FX-Rs enroute and need them anyway. The margin of error is so fine that I wouldn't even want to think about making a hanger bracket from dimensions only.

Have you fired up your 3.0s yet? I really like the output shots I've seen and can't wait to see what they look like in person.
I fired up one of my projectors, but I have to admit that I don't have enough experience with HID lights to know if what I saw would be considered to be "good" or not.

What I saw was a pattern that was not completely consistent and which had chromatic aberrations. Maybe that's standard stuff...I don't know. It was however, pretty dog-gone bright! I'm really anxious to see the results on the road. I'm also curious to know how you will find the performance compared to the others that you have tried, since you actually have the empirical knowledge to make a good comparison.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
What I saw was a pattern that was not completely consistent and which had chromatic aberrations. Maybe that's standard stuff...I don't know. It was however, pretty dog-gone bright! I'm really anxious to see the results on the road. I'm also curious to know how you will find the performance compared to the others that you have tried, since you actually have the empirical knowledge to make a good comparison.

It should have an upward "step" at about the center of the "cutoff" line, the right side of the "step" being slightly higher than the left side.
Also, ideally the cutoff line will appear sharp and in focus.

The chromatic abberation is also known as the "color band" and ideally should be limited to the top edge of the cutoff line. This color band is normally blue or purple (sometimes appears gold/yellow with the certain bulbs, or if there's a spacing/adjustment problem).
As you drive down the road, the "color band" is what causes the subtle blue/purple "flicker" effect seen by oncoming traffic. To many, "flicker" is considered a highly desirable attribute, and is enhanced by the clear lens.

As distance from the projector increases, the step and color band will increase is height, and the width of the beam will increase.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
It should have an upward "step" at about the center of the "cutoff" line, the right side of the "step" being slightly higher than the left side.
Also, ideally the cutoff line will appear sharp and in focus.

The chromatic abberation is also known as the "color band" and ideally should be limited to the top edge of the cutoff line. This color band is normally blue or purple (sometimes appears gold/yellow with the certain bulbs, or if there's a spacing/adjustment problem).
As you drive down the road, the "color band" is what causes the subtle blue/purple "flicker" effect seen by oncoming traffic. To many, "flicker" is considered a highly desirable attribute, and is enhanced by the clear lens.

As distance from the projector increases, the step and color band will increase is height, and the width of the beam will increase.
The cut-off is stepped, as you described, and I would say that it is sharp and in focus.

I had read somewhere where someone was talking about how great the color band was on some projectors, but hadn't thought of it as being particularly desirable. From my perspective, I'd rather they just look as much like what came on the car as possible because I don't want any grief from the local officials. That, and I am typically a little distracted by oncoming drivers that have distinctive-looking headlights.

In fact, getting back to the point that my own headlights are as bright (and desirable?) as the ones on most of the other cars is one of my main reasons for wanting to upgrade. If I take my car out on a solitary road on a dark night, honestly the stock halogens don't seem all that bad, but as soon as my eyes get desensitized by the bright lights of oncoming traffic, or when I find myself driving in my car's own shadow because the car behind me has so much brighter lights than mine, I feel I need to be more competitive just to stay safe.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
The cut-off is stepped, as you described, and I would say that it is sharp and in focus.

I had read somewhere where someone was talking about how great the color band was on some projectors, but hadn't thought of it as being particularly desirable. From my perspective, I'd rather they just look as much like what came on the car as possible because I don't want any grief from the local officials. That, and I am typically a little distracted by oncoming drivers that have distinctive-looking headlights.

In fact, getting back to the point that my own headlights are as bright (and desirable?) as the ones on most of the other cars is one of my main reasons for wanting to upgrade. If I take my car out on a solitary road on a dark night, honestly the stock halogens don't seem all that bad, but as soon as my eyes get desensitized by the bright lights of oncoming traffic, or when I find myself driving in my car's own shadow because the car behind me has so much brighter lights than mine, I feel I need to be more competitive just to stay safe.
Yes, the color band and flicker effect is purely subjective, and will cause some notice, however, they look about the same as most newer OEM HIDs. If your lights are properly aimed, you shouldn't have any problems. The only advantage of the flicker is that it seems to cause oncoming traffic to be more consciencious in dimming their lights. Don't know, but maybe they've been flashed with bi-xenon HIDs before and it's a kinda of Pavlovian response? :)

Other vehicles will not wash out your view of the road with FX-Rs.

My experience with stock halogens wasn't good.
Here's what I've gone through:
1. Tried Silverstars - tiny improvement (not worth the money)
2. Tried a Phillips high $ halogen - about the same as Silverstars.
3. Polished the headlight lenses (tiny improvement)
4. Bought new headlights (tiny improvement)
5. Installed an H1 HID kit (small improvement - still not enough)
6. 1st retrofit -Mini H1@ 35 watts (huge improvement like 300%+)
7. 2nd retrofit FX-R @ 55 watts (large gain in width, noticably > range)
8. 1st leveling motor range control (can get the most out of the HIDs)
9. Tried the FX-R 2.0 (not as good as the original FX-R)
10. Months of testing and countless revisions...
11. Waiting of the FX-R 3.0 to arrive.

I never found the bug's halogen headlights to be much good, especially the lowbeam. The stock halogen lowbeam gave at best 200' of usable range (2 seconds or less @ highway speeds), and barely 25' of usable width.
With the FX-Rs, my lowbeam gives me 400-500 feet of usable range and at least 200 feet of usable width, probably more. And if there's no oncoming traffic, I've got 10 seconds + of usable range in front of me @ 70mph, all the while lighting fence row to opposing fence row.

James

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I found the post of the 3.0 dimensions, they just list the differences between the 1.1's and the 3.0's, I suspect not helpful at all to MrMark. To be honest, they are a bit confusing as well, I had trouble making sense out of them. I have fired mine up in the yard, holding them in my hand, lots of light. Wife was impressed by how they lite up the driveway/road, haven't told her yet they are for her car. But I have not finished the install into the headlight so not sure yet how they are on the road. The only pics I have seen of the 3.0's are the low beam. They do look more uniform than the 1.1's, but lots more foreground lighting, some say too much, at some expense of width. I have not seen any high beam shots yet.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I found the post of the 3.0 dimensions, they just list the differences between the 1.1's and the 3.0's, I suspect not helpful at all to MrMark. To be honest, they are a bit confusing as well, I had trouble making sense out of them. I have fired mine up in the yard, holding them in my hand, lots of light. Wife was impressed by how they lite up the driveway/road, haven't told her yet they are for her car. But I have not finished the install into the headlight so not sure yet how they are on the road. The only pics I have seen of the 3.0's are the low beam. They do look more uniform than the 1.1's, but lots more foreground lighting, some say too much, at some expense of width. I have not seen any high beam shots yet.
From the beamshots I've seen, the width looks ok, but I'd gladly trade a little width for that smooth output. I've seen a highbeam shot somewhere on HIDP, and it looked about the same as version 1.

For what I'm doing with leveling motors, the additional foreground may be a real plus, especially when the beams are elevated. Sure, too much foreground is a bad thing, but not enough isn't so hot, either. For my purposes, version 1 borders on "not enough" foreground.

James

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
FX-R 3.0s arrived. Dimensionally - they're about the same size as the ver 1. The slight reduction in size is due mainly to the relocation of the mounting lugs.

With any luck, I'll get to test them out, tonight.

MrMark

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
FX-R 3.0s arrived. Dimensionally - they're about the same size as the ver 1. The slight reduction in size is due mainly to the relocation of the mounting lugs.

With any luck, I'll get to test them out, tonight.
'Sounds like fun...I look forward to your comments!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
'Kind of surprised you didn't light up those new projectors last week James...(?) Any issues?

Sorry, between being cramped for time and daily thunderstorms, I haven't had much chance to work on these the last few days.

Yes, there's a small issue. The 3.0's heat shield prevents using the simple slotted attachment for rotational adjustment. I've fabbed up a few different hanger brackets to get around this problem, but haven't had the chance to try them in the car.

I have fired them up on the bench @ 35 watts, and like what I see so far. As per your concern, they have a much smaller 'color band' than the original version of the FX-R. It's almost non-existant. They also have more foreground, similar to the Mini H1's, which I personally like.
The cutoff line appears sharper the my ver 1.1's. The beam is also smoother with much less "streaking" than the ver 1.1.

It'll be Wed. or Thurs. night before I can really try these out. Hang tight.

James