Mineral oil for fuel?

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Specifically, I’m wondering if anyone has ever experimented with waste transformer oil (mineral oil) as an alternative diesel fuel in an ALH or a 7.3 Powerstroke or any diesel. I may have access to a good supply and am thinking about testing it in a few Diesel engines I have around my house, and if all goes well, trying it in the TDI and the Powerstroke.

Also, to those who feel the need to warn me about PCB’s (I’ll only be obtaining tested, non-PCB oil), road taxes (there is paperwork in LA you can fill out to remedy this), the dangers of “alternative fuels”, or any other theories/opinions about how bad it might be, please refrain from making these types of comments. Please know that I love you all and am already aware of all of these risk. I’m simply looking for peoples experiences in its use, if any.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
It's been discussed here previously, and most of the talk was about PCBs. But from my memory of the discussion, it didn't work very well.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
depending on viscosity you may need to cut it a bit. I've done the WMO thing and RUG seems to work best for thinning.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
depending on viscosity you may need to cut it a bit. I've done the WMO thing and RUG seems to work best for thinning.
I figured viscosity will be a determining factor. At the end of the day, it’s gotta spray. Most likely, if I use it in anything, I’ll be adding it to diesel fuel at probably a 50% max. I’ll keep the blending with RUG in mind. I have a lot of positive experience with my own biodiesel in the TDI and Powerstroke.

Keep the comments coming.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
I would do some research into the additive pkg in the transformer oil. They used something other than PCBs to make it last. That may cause serious build up in the injectors or pistons/rings. Metal based additives do not burn, they build up. The reason soap has to be removed from biodiesel. The sodium or potasium sticks to everything.

j p liddy

TDI
d24 tic
hi a friend of mine used transformer oil in his 940 tic d24 volvo years ago its a VW engine ,as he had access to it as it was free ,
he did a lot of miles with it ,the volvo was sold and still on the road today but with standard diesel now ,
these old generation diesels thrived on it, but not sure how a more modern diesel woud cope !

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I would do some research into the additive pkg in the transformer oil. They used something other than PCBs to make it last. That may cause serious build up in the injectors or pistons/rings. Metal based additives do not burn, they build up. The reason soap has to be removed from biodiesel. The sodium or potasium sticks to everything.
Will do. I was wondering the same thing.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I love rhe free discusion but the past limited discussions I've read here we quickly shut down...? The sense I got was the older transformer oils were very hazardous due to harmful pcb level. Probably not a good idea considering.