Milwaukee, WI GTG, Saturday, May 22nd @ West Allis Auto Club

TDI
None
Whitbread, looking forward to meeting you. Your welding skills are outstanding, I'd definitely like to pick your brain about welding and the like...

Guz, when Jason did mine on the ALH you'll need a new crank bolt and seal. He used the metalnerd crank yank tool to counterhold the crank when loosening and tightening it back up, you'll also need some timing belt tools to get everything timed correctly. He also had a nifty seal puller to remove it.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Providing that the powers that be let me have the 22nd off, I will be there. Not to wrench (as I will have changed my oil by then myself), but I can have my sample puller along in case someone wants to take an oil sample, but doesn't want to change oil quite yet...

tubesguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf, RC3, Sprint 520
jasonTDI said:
If you've never done one, AND you have the tools, it'll take 7-10 hours. If I loaf it takes 4-5. If I rush 3-4.
So for me, maybe 14-20 hours, followed by a call to AAA for a flatbed? :eek:

I'll have to give you a call for my VR6/G60 combo.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Update on vendors attending

Just an update on vendors that are attending:

Of course, Jeff from RocketChip is attending. :)

Franko6- planning on attending. :) Contact him for your injector needs.

Whitbread - planning on attending but more as a participant than as a vendor. :) Contact him ahead a time with any any requests. Here is a link to a thread introducing himself, Whitbread Performance Innovations

jasonTDI - unable to attend :(

IndigoBlueWagon (Peter from IDParts/TDIParts) - unable to attend :(

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i'll be taking my name off of the general work list as i'll be getting an upgrade... GLI fronts and .:R rears. I'll be buying powerslot rotors and hawk HP pads to add to the kit. i'm going to have some awesome brakes in a month or so...

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Chris,

Last time, not only did I have a great time, I learned a bunch.

I'm going to do my best to attend. NO PROMISES, but it does look promising.

Btw: I got a Newen CNC Valve and Seat Machine. It's better than I hoped.

Hopefully, the valve and seat machine will free up time for setting injectors. I hope to bring some stock ready to go.

Hope to see you there.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Sorry guys, I'm out this time. Unfortunatly after all the stuff we have done the last two months with the house and vacation. We over spent by only $3000. I'm very bummed about not getting a tune, but even more bummed about not being able to take the day off to come out to meet y'all. I took my name off of the wiki list for tunes. I hope it doesn't stop Jeff from coming out, I see jasontdi has a few people coming out for tunes, so all should be well.
Well hope I can make the next one. Sorry again.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Well, dang. Unfortunately I have had a few things come up that will be taking my weekends through the Summer, so I won't be able to attend. :(

Thanks to Chris for setting this up again. Hope you all have as great a time as we all did last time.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
I need to change my radiator fans, does anyone think they could help me with that? I need to take the car on a 5 hour trip to an enduro the next day and there is a chance I would want my AC on the way back.

I also have a friend with a GTI who wants to get it tuned, would a 1.8t fit into Jeff's schedule? Even if it does run on gas its still a boosted VW.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
I have not changed fans on one of my cars so I can't say how difficult a job that is. I wouldn't expect it to be that bad but have not checked the Bentley manual either.

As for the 1.8T gas, I wouldn't think that should be much of a problem for Jeff either, but you may want to contact him so he can come prepared (not sure if he needs any different equipment.) His phone number can be found on his web site, http://rocketchip.com/ under the Contact Us tab.

By looking at the tuning sign-up list, it looks like Jeff won't be nearly as busy as he was during the last GTG.

decsdad

TDI
'03 golf GL
if someone can help sign me up to the list for a tune, i would appreciate it. i'm having trouble with the wiki page. i will be attending and would like to be added for a +2 tune. thanks, kevin.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
6x6man said:
I have not changed fans on one of my cars so I can't say how difficult a job that is. I wouldn't expect it to be that bad but have not checked the Bentley manual either.

As for the 1.8T gas, I wouldn't think that should be much of a problem for Jeff either, but you may want to contact him so he can come prepared (not sure if he needs any different equipment.) His phone number can be found on his web site, http://rocketchip.com/ under the Contact Us tab.

By looking at the tuning sign-up list, it looks like Jeff won't be nearly as busy as he was during the last GTG.
I heard that as long as you can get at it from the bottom with enough room it isn't too bad. I also need to replace the drivers door harness and some speakers Roger Waters blew up but that can be done whenever.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
BTW, I have a pair of TDI posters (huge) all rolled up and in the trunk of my Passat as I got them from a VW friend of mine at my local VW club in Sheboygan. He got them from the dealer. If any of you want one or both of these gems, I will bring them along to the GTG. They are still in my trunk and won't take them out until after the GTG (this car doesn't get driven during the week most of the time).

Last edited:

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Chris,
IIRC, you metioned before the last GTG you hosted a store near your shop where one could pick up some brake fluid for our cars. Is this correct or am i just getting old?:rolleyes: or maybe i'll just have to pick some up at the dealership. I'd like to flush my system this weekend if someone could help me out with the proper tools?

Lookin forward to this weekend.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Guz15 said:
Chris,
IIRC, you metioned before the last GTG you hosted a store near your shop where one could pick up some brake fluid for our cars. Is this correct or am i just getting old?:rolleyes: or maybe i'll just have to pick some up at the dealership. I'd like to flush my system this weekend if someone could help me out with the proper tools?

Lookin forward to this weekend.
Do you mean here?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=BRAKEFLUID

Pegasus is not far, but need to call before hand about Sat. hours.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Will anyone have a set of GLI Recaros in an A4 at the GTG?

Am considering getting a set, but would like my girlfriend to sit in them before I go spend that kind of money on seats.

Picture stolen from Bora Parts
[/IMG]

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
mctdi has it correct.

If you call your order in and prepay it, I'd be happy to pick it up Friday afternoon on my way to the club for my regular day. PLEASE BE CERTAIN TO LET ME KNOW IF I NEED TO PICK ANYTHING UP FRIDAY, OTHERWISE I WON'T BE STOPPING THERE (but it is kind of on my way.)

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
leicaman said:
BTW, I have a pair of TDI posters (huge) all rolled up and in the trunk of my Passat as I got them from a VW friend of mine at my local VW club in Sheboygan. He got them from the dealer. If any of you want one or both of these gems, I will bring them along to the GTG. They are still in my trunk and won't take them out until after the GTG (this car doesn't get driven during the week most of the time).
i'll take them. are you looking for some cash for them or just to get rid of them? either way, let me know.

TDI
None
Jcrews has a set in his 99.5 Jetta, PM him and convince him to come! :D I was trying to coerce him into it but haven't heard a solid yes or no, I'm sure he'll chime in soon...~channeling Jcrews~:D

Fix_Until_Broke said:
Will anyone have a set of GLI Recaros in an A4 at the GTG?

Am considering getting a set, but would like my girlfriend to sit in them before I go spend that kind of money on seats.

Picture stolen from Bora Parts

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
1.8T's aren't a problem for Jeff. Just like doing a TDI.

Tell your friend to get some new plugs though. They need new plugs every 20K or so to run good. Jeff will tell you the same thing.

TDI
None
I added some stuff for sale to the Wiki. Does anyone need any of these items in particular before I post them to "private items for sale"? Let me know and I'll bring them to the GTG.

Also, does anyone have update info about the construction and the routes to take/avoid coming from Chicago?

EDIT: If anyone needs CAT 2u filters, there is a Caterpillar dealer down the street from my house. I can swing by and easily pick them up for anyone who needs them...

Vielen Dank! - Ryan

Last edited:

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
6x6man said:
mctdi has it correct.

If you call your order in and prepay it, I'd be happy to pick it up Friday afternoon on my way to the club for my regular day. PLEASE BE CERTAIN TO LET ME KNOW IF I NEED TO PICK ANYTHING UP FRIDAY, OTHERWISE I WON'T BE STOPPING THERE (but it is kind of on my way.)
I just need 1 litre correct. i can place the order tomorrow. I will PM you to confirm. thanks for assisting.

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
I added some stuff for sale to the Wiki. Does anyone need any of these items in particular before I post them to "private items for sale"? Let me know and I'll bring them to the GTG.

Also, does anyone have update info about the construction and the routes to take/avoid coming from Chicago?

EDIT: If anyone needs CAT 2u filters, there is a Caterpillar dealer down the street from my house. I can swing by and easily pick them up for anyone who needs them...

Vielen Dank! - Ryan
The roads are good. I take the 94/294 corridor daily from Racine to Burr Ridge (I55 & I294). It gets jammed up a bit as you enter WI in Kenosha County. Watch out for the hwy patrol in the construction zone. He likes to sit right behind all those rubble piles.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe all the ramps for the Zoo Interchange should be open during the GTG, (but you may want to check the link mentioned by squire89.)

As for I-94 between Milwaukee/Chicago, I don't travel it that often so I can't say, so I'd follow Guz15 advice