Milwaukee, WI GTG, Saturday, May 22nd @ West Allis Auto Club

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
squire89 said:
is there a line for the lift? possible to add that to the wiki? or lift requests?
I figured we'd handle use of the lifts like we did last time. Once we are ready to bring vehicles into the building, we'll look at the 'General Work List' and who's doing what and see who has the greatest need for using a lift. We have two functioning lifts now. The two post that we used last time and we now have a drive on hoist also. The drive on hoist is best suited for jobs that don't require the removal of the wheels, but that can be done if need be.

FWIW: an 'impact screwdriver' is a very useful tool to have when removal of the rotors is necessary. That phillips screw that holds the rotor to the hub is often times a pain to remove.

Sooch,

Do you have one of these?? If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can see one here: 'impact screwdriver'

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
my brake project might have just switched to the front suspension refresh as well...my friend may have a set of gli spindles and hubs....

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
6x6man said:
FWIW: an 'impact screwdriver' is a very useful tool to have when removal of the rotors is necessary. That phillips screw that holds the rotor to the hub is often times a pain to remove.
Just my 2 cents on the hand impact driver - don't bother with the one from Horrible Freight. Buy the Craftsman one from Sears. The difference is astounding. And this is a very, very handy tool to have around indeed.

I bought the former to remove the float bowl screws from my motorcycle's carbs and wound up buying the latter immediately. Also FYI there was a rolling change from the Philips head to a Torx head for the rotor retention screws, so you may need an impact grade Torx bit (T25 IIRC).

TDI
None
x2 on the Crapsman version, it will last much longer. In a pinch you can use one of your screw driver bits and a 1/4 in socket, along with a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Then I lightly tap the bit into the screw to make sure its seated fully then use my 3/8" impact to zap it off. Never stripped one yet, works the first time.

Chris, thanks for the advice. I got the TT bushing kit, 4 TTY bolts, but I forgot the ball joint bolts. I'll probably end up taking the top nut off the ball joints and popping them out (hopefully). If not I have a driveshaft nut for R&R of the inner CV boot, and I may end up getting a set of ball joints just in case we need to demolish them.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
x2 on the Crapsman version, it will last much longer. In a pinch you can use one of your screw driver bits and a 1/4 in socket, along with a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. Then I lightly tap the bit into the screw to make sure its seated fully then use my 3/8" impact to zap it off. Never stripped one yet, works the first time.

Chris, thanks for the advice. I got the TT bushing kit, 4 TTY bolts, but I forgot the ball joint bolts. I'll probably end up taking the top nut off the ball joints and popping them out (hopefully). If not I have a driveshaft nut for R&R of the inner CV boot, and I may end up getting a set of ball joints just in case we need to demolish them.
I may have (2) sets of the three BJ bolts and nut plate. The dealers are not to bad on price for these, either.

TDI
None
Ben, you may be my new best friend! :D 356k miles on yours, holy crap! Do you drive to AZ and back every week? I guess we'll figure out the best plan of attack when its up in the air...last time I checked, the ball joints were solid, replaced the driver's side tie rod recently so I still need to get an alignment. As far as removing the ball joint from the control arm, it would probably only affect camber a couple degrees, nothing too terrible but I'd like to put it back where it was if possible...

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
just spray paint the location of the plate on the control arm. thats the standard procedure for most people. you won't see the paint anyways :)

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
so just a question. i was wondering if anyone has an extra engine cover they'd be willing to part with. i am interested in one that has no cracks/major scratches, has an emblem in good to perfect shape.

pm me with what you got

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
I was hoping for something in WI :( but i'll keep an eye on that one. thats how much i was looking to spend total and i'm guessing that shipping is going to be like 20ish bucks

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Ben, you may be my new best friend! :D 356k miles on yours, holy crap! Do you drive to AZ and back every week? I guess we'll figure out the best plan of attack when its up in the air...last time I checked, the ball joints were solid, replaced the driver's side tie rod recently so I still need to get an alignment. As far as removing the ball joint from the control arm, it would probably only affect camber a couple degrees, nothing too terrible but I'd like to put it back where it was if possible...
I have not been to AZ yet.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Well guys I may have to pull my name from the tune list. We have been doing some pretty hefty work around the house, and we have gone over budget by a few thousand. So unless something changes in my financial world Im out for the tune. I will still try to make it though, just won't be getting tuned. Royal bummer for me Ive been looking so forward to it. Maybe later in the year I'll be better off. Sorry I hope my dropping off the tune list doesn't cause any problems.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Well, it does not help. I think Jeff needs 10 (new) tunes to make it worth his time to travel all the way to WI. We are currently at 8 including D-cell.

WI_Norskie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Galactic Blue
Probable additions to the tune list

FunJetta is planning on having a retune for his A4 and new tune scheduled for his daughter's A4 2.slow wagon. Ya, I know it is a gasser. I'll remind him tmw to add himself to the wiki.
Odds are we won't arrive till about 2 as there is a pleasure drive being put on by another co-worker (has a supercharged Honda S2000) that morning starting in Baraboo. Last year it was a great day for a drive. The run down the switchbacks into Devil's Lake was a blast.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I can pretty much guarentee that at least 4-5 of my clients will be there for sure. They just don't frequent the forums but have the date and location.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Yes, I also have a hand impact driver, but it seems like everyone else does too :p

Anyone have a stock, uncut, rear lower valence for a 2005 Golf that they might like to sell me? This would be the black plastic piece that somehow fastens to the bottom of the rear bumper cover. I am planning to do some hitch and exhaust work and would like to replace mine with one that is not cut up.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonTDI said:
I can pretty much guarentee that at least 4-5 of my clients will be there for sure. They just don't frequent the forums but have the date and location.
Thanks for passing the word along.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
mctdi said:
6x6man

Do you need any help with setup and tear-down for the GTG.

Ben
Ben,

If you are available the Friday evening before, we can do like last time. We'll plan on organizing the shop then so things are ready for Sat morning. Depending on the weather forecast, we'll see about putting some Parking signs out, make sure the grass is cut in the area where we may put overflow parking.

Afterwords washing the floor in the mechanical area would be nice. We also have to be sure to move any projects back in that we moved out.

jasonTDI

TDI
I won't be there due to prior commitments. Sorry guys.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i'm sure that you'll be missed jason. along with your seemingly limitless knowledge.

is...frank(unsure if thats the right name I apologize if its wrong) going to be there pop testing nozzles? i wanted to get mine tested the last time but he and i were busy at different times.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course, Jeff from RocketChip is attending. :)

As for other vendors, I PM'ed the following:

jasonTDI - unable to attend :(

IndigoBlueWagon (Peter from IDParts/TDIParts) - was uncertain at the time, thought he had a family thing going on that weekend. I need to follow-up with him. :confused:

Franko6- never received a reply. I need to follow-up with him. :confused:

TDI
None
I was talking to Frank a week ago or so and he said he may come...but it would be good to follow up with him. I'll probably convince myself to upgrade nozzles once again... :D

Pugsley

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle
How hard is it to change a clutch? Was thinking of upgrading to something over stock if it can be done at the GTG.

jasonTDI

TDI
If you've never done one, AND you have the tools, it'll take 7-10 hours. If I loaf it takes 4-5. If I rush 3-4.

Pugsley

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle
Never done one in my Beetle, Done many on my sand rail. Ill wait then to do the clutch. This time I would like to "hang out" more then I did last time.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Im certainly planning on attending. Would anyone with vagcom be interested in doing the remote window mod on my a5? If so what would you want.

Guz15

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
What Special tools are required for a front main seal? Is there a specific extractor tool and installer? I think mine is leaking.