Milwaukee/Chicago Area Meeting

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
SHANE----5-630 HORS DE HOURVES. i will try to get hold of him for the 2 stroke oil. is there only one kind?

ShaneTbolt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, blue
There maybe a few different kinds. Just tell him it is for dirt bikes and he will bring the right type. Or he might bring what he has and I'll choose.
It has been so long since I bought 2 stroke oil by Amsoil. I'll check my favorite motorcycle store and see if he has any and what type and how much.

Looks like I'll just head straight to the brat stop from work to get the hors-de-hourves.

Rescuefireman15

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver 5 speed
Didn't have time for both GTG's so I went to Fond du Lac on Saturday. Had a great time and got ton's of things done to the car. I'll keep the next one on my schedule.

Rescuefireman15

Veteran Member
TDI
Just taking a pole. If I can get bio-diesel delievered for about 3.05/ gal would anyone in the Racine area be interested? PM me.

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Reminder

As a reminder, the Autocross drivers school is only a couple of weeks away (May 27). I know a few of you are were planning on attending but just wanted to put the reminder out anyways since Im currently the only TDI shown on the online list. Here is the thread about this and everything needed to sign up:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=166403

stephen

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
FYI - Dyno Day at AMS (Automotosports), Arlington Heights, IL

Spring is definitely on its way, especially with this 68 degree weather we are experiencing today.

D M Magazine and dud werks dyno day, dub werks called their friends over at AMS to see if we could make a date.

Heres the info:
When: Saturday, May 26th, 2007 at 9am... First Come, First Served
Where: AMS (Automotosports) 2442 E. Oakton St. Arlington Heights, IL
Who: Any VW/Audi FWD or AWD
How Much: $70.00 for 3 pulls and that includes FREE wideband.
There will be an award for highest and lowest hp of the day

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3234989

http://www.amsperformance.com/contact.php

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
mctdi said:

Heres the info:
When: Saturday, May 26th, 2007 at 9am... First Come, First Served
Where: AMS (Automotosports) 2442 E. Oakton St. Arlington Heights, IL
Who: Any VW/Audi FWD or AWD
How Much: $70.00 for 3 pulls and that includes FREE wideband.
There will be an award for highest and lowest hp of the day

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3234989

http://www.amsperformance.com/contact.php

with my clogged intake and 308K miles I might have a chance at the lowest HP!!!

Rescuefireman15

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry guys the price of biodiesel delivered would be ~$3.40/gal. I was working with someone who had out dated price lists.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Rescuefireman15 said:
Sorry guys the price of biodiesel delivered would be ~$3.40/gal. I was working with someone who had out dated price lists.
It wasn't outed until they changed the price overnight... for another data point, the price was $3.20 + delivery to us last thursday. We purchased 390 gallons. Maybe they're changing the price based on quantity... not kosher, but it looks like they're doing what they want right now. :(

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Thursday GTG

I hope to be at the Thursday GTG. I'll see how work goes.

Balckhawk Farms on Sunday was great. Those that did not show-up missed a fun time.

Being first time on a road course I was in the Novice group.
- The day starts with a Mandatory All Drivers meeting – going over general things of how we be run for the day.
- Novices then had a 40 min. classroom session.
- We then went on the tack with an instructor in the car. In a conga line, and no passing. So everyone got to see the track and instructors could see that all the novices can control their car.
- The rest of the day was rotating track time sessions for Moderate Experience, Much Experience, and Novice groups. Novices if wanted one, could have an instructor ride with them. We had (6) of these sessions, each about 30 min.

- At the lunch break there was "Track Touring". Open to any one there, an to be limited to 55 MPH. One instructor let me ride with him, in his Corvette track car. WOW did these tires stick to the road. And that V-8 had the hardest time with the 55 MPH limit.

My '04 Golf 5-speed is very far from where the Corvette is at on the track. But even if stock, in could be raced in its class and do OK. I do have a few MODs most of which I think were of some help on the track. But that’s what is great with AutoCross, each car runs within its own class. So the Corvette has to run with other Corvettes and the like.

I learned that my Golf has MUCH more bake capacity than I thought. That the front tires needed to be at 46 PSI ( measured cold ) to hold to the track good, and the rear at 41 PSI. The rear tires likely could be at less. On the track I need to work on using that brake capacity and the full width of the road through the turns. And then polish everything needed for a good lap time.

Through some higher math, I have come up with 83 miles on the track. And an on track MPG of 20.9. The lowest I ever had with the Golf.

Yes one does remove some tread from the tires doing this. And yes you'll head home with less brake pad material. But you are likely to go home with a great big smile on your face. I know I would like to do this again sometime.

Ben :D :D :D :D

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
Can't make Kenosha this month - pout!

Oh Crud! - I knew there was somethin' good I wanted to do Sunday! Glad to hear you had fun, Ben!

I won't be able to make Kenosha this month - got "kid-wrangling" to do for a friend whose roomies are out of town, Thursday.
Jack - do you want me to get the signs to your son? Or is it too late?

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
mctdi said:
I hope to be at the Thursday GTG. I'll see how work goes.

Balckhawk Farms on Sunday was great. Those that did not show-up missed a fun time.

Yes one does remove some tread from the tires doing this. And yes you'll head home with less brake pad material. But you are likely to go home with a great big smile on your face. I know I would like to do this again sometime.

Ben :D :D :D :D

even though it's in my backyard I have not been to blackhawk farms, but I have been on road americas track and it was a blast and pretty much the same as you described. I know I had a smile for weeks after only doing 3 laps(12 miles).....didn't want to abuse my 300K mile daily driver to bad!!

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Blackhawk Farms is a 2 mile [ actually 1.95 mile if any one want to be correct to 1/100 of a mile ] and on a driving school day, you get 20-30 min. track sessions. If one goes the full 30 min., about 16-20+ miles, the brakes can get very hot. So hot that I had lost one the palstic center caps from the left front wheel.

Were as in Autocross one goes 3 laps, 6 miles at Blackhawk, so the brakes still get hot. But everything cooks.

Ben

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
we need a seperate thread on the auto cross events. i missed being at another one. when is the next event? i would like to get some pix.

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Hey, you are out there! We missed you at the last meeting. Ben and I wanted to give you a hard time for not showing up at Blackhawk Farms.... :)

Jack_Berry said:
we need a seperate thread on the auto cross events.
That would be the TDI Motorsports forum. Everything for that HPDE event was in there. I also advertised a bit in this thread to make sure people knew about it the event.

Jack_Berry said:
i missed being at another one. when is the next event? i would like to get some pix.
I would say that as your punishment for not attending you should have to coordinate the next event. :D

stephen

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
mctdi said:
... the brakes can get very hot. So hot that I had lost one the palstic center caps from the left front wheel.
Ben
I really wish I had thought about it at the time but I have one of those IR thermometers. Would have been interesting to see what the temps were like. Lately Ive been using it to figure out which of the brakes werent working on my `66 Bug. Was quite helpful.

Have you noticed any changes in your MPG since that day? I kinda wonder if that day burned out all the carbon and loosened everything up because I got an extra 100 miles on the last tank. Course, for a couple weeks afterwords the car was going "Vroom! *Im* a race car!!" at every stoplight. Its still a little rev-happy at times but I think its finally starting to accept again that its just a daily driver with a 4spd auto. :p

stephen

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
shepner said:
I really wish I had thought about it at the time but I have one of those IR thermometers. Would have been interesting to see what the temps were like. Lately Ive been using it to figure out which of the brakes werent working on my `66 Bug. Was quite helpful.

Have you noticed any changes in your MPG since that day? I kinda wonder if that day burned out all the carbon and loosened everything up because I got an extra 100 miles on the last tank. Course, for a couple weeks afterwords the car was going "Vroom! *Im* a race car!!" at every stoplight. Its still a little rev-happy at times but I think its finally starting to accept again that its just a daily driver with a 4spd auto. :p

stephen
I cann't see any change in MPG.

Jack you could go this weekend. I don't think I'll be able to make it there. May be next month.

Ben

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
o you mean l-a-s-t weekend? nope too busy. didn't even make it to the party.

anyone coming on thursday? since the weather is nice what do we do sit out back?

ShaneTbolt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, blue
This Thursday I'll be at Fuddruckers for my fathers birthday dinner. Have to see what time the party there ends if I can make it or not.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
kharmin said:
I vote for "sit out back", fersure!
Revised and Updated - It's pretty chilly right now, down here in the flatlands ~ maybe outside tain't such a good idea?

Who else is planning to come to the Brat Stop tonight?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Sorry, work didn't let out in time to make it to the meeting.

Did anyone show up?

Ben

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep - Jack and Hal and Ernst ( sorry, bro, I can't remember your exact forum handle!) who has a silver 2004 Passat, but isn't "2004Passat". Nice ride! - but fairly hard to find!
A good time was had by all, and I hope we didn't permanently scare off Ernst!