Mileage for refresh?

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Still trying to sell the green wagon. Had a prospect state that TDI's needs to have pistons & rings done at 500km (he's in the US, so may be a typo and meant miles). I would think that if the compression is still even across all cyinders and within percentage of original, there isn't a reason to do that kind of a job. Engine currently has 324K miles on it.

What have been your experiences?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Impossible to answer that question without knowing the service history and usage of the vehicle. TDI’s generally only move into the “high mileage” territory once they are past the 500,000 mile mark.
The 1.9 engines can last well past that if they have been maintained at the recommended service intervals and never overheated. If there is significant blow by, loss of compression, or lots of clattering in the valvetrain, it might make sense to look at at least a head rebuild. The wear points as far as high mileage goes on these engines tends to be the head/valve train, and the intermediate shaft and its associated bearings. Also, turbos don’t last forever.

But there have been reports of engines being torn down at 500,000 miles and exhibiting a little to no wear in the bores. only other thing I can think of is if the EGR has never been cleaned it’s probably far overdue.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
That's always been my thinking, too. The prospective buyer claimed to be a TDI mechanic but when I asked if he knew Matt (would assume buyer was in Bay Area as well) he went completely silent and disappeared. Legit specialty mechanics tend to know who else is in their industry, and since he pretty much didn't. . .busted!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
About the only thing that should need at this point would be cylinder head refresh of the exhaust valve guides, but otherwise I can't believe it would need more, and if it was running fine I absolutely wouldn't open it up to do unnecessary work.

As TDDyke said, he's trying to move your price down.

Steve

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm guessing he was actually a gasser mechanic. Then the numbers he threw out would make sense. Soon as he stated over 300K was high mileage, I knew he was trying to blow smoke up my a$$. Trying to sell a vehicle can be very entertaining.