Mileage and MAF Sensor

jake8842

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS 5spd
When i monitored my coolant temp mine was not completely steady but i tested mine in the winter when it was about 15 degrees outside. I was not having issues but wanted to make sure thermostat was not sticking open.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Jake,
I am not having issues either except for the mileage drop! The car still runs like a champ.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Could the newer fuels be and issue that you can't compensate for?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I just performed the "cage mod" and the effects were immediately noticeable. So my MAF does not appear to be bad after all, it was the connectors.
As far as newer fuels causing lower mileage I am not sure yet as many members are still getting great mileage even with winterized fuels.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Check the coolant temp. First place to start and the easiest.

Check my sig for a link.

Please post here want you find.

I checked and just changed the sensor, right away the temps went to 89-90 Celsius whereas before the change earlier today the temps were between 68 and 70 Celsius. I will report back mileage improvements.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
The FE improvements have been almost instantaneous. I post mileage tuesday night after i fill the car up.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
I have an 02' Golf, as of the last 3 or 4 fill ups my MPG has dropped from 44.5 to 41.5 I have done nothing different. Its even changed over to summer fuel. I am at a loss I have checked my MAF as well as my Coolant Nothing bad at all. I am getting ready to do a EGR delete and a Chip. But I would still like to know where my MPG has gone.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have an 02' Golf, as of the last 3 or 4 fill ups my MPG has dropped from 44.5 to 41.5 I have done nothing different. Its even changed over to summer fuel. I am at a loss I have checked my MAF as well as my Coolant Nothing bad at all. I am getting ready to do a EGR delete and a Chip. But I would still like to know where my MPG has gone.
First find where your mpg has gone and then do the mods. 5th gear would be something to be considered once you find the lower mileage issue.
How is your thermostat? Intake and the rest cleaned? MAF cleaned? Cage mod? If your mileage has dropped wit summer fuel there is an issue ... Brakes dragging, bad wheel bearing?

Last edited: