MIleage after Timing Belt Change

mattrj17

TDI
02 Jetta GLS
I recently got my timing belt changed by a reputal mechanic and I've noticed a decrease in economy. Is this an issue that can be easily fixed?

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
define reputable!

Did your mechanic replace all the needed parts? Did he check the timing with vag-com? Did he lock everything down with the proper tools?

I'd check all this in a hurry, and if you need some encouragement, search for "timing belt fail"

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
What kind of car is it? Engine type?

Matt, welcome to Fred's!

It's most likely your timing is way off. Can you track down your local TDI go-to person and have them review the job performed by your local "mechanic"? I would do this sooner as opposed to later for the reasons nethead mentions.

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
I'm just north of you in Port Saint Lucie. You're more than welcome to swing by this weekend and we can check and adjust your IP timing if it wasn't done using VAG-COM.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
york77777 said:
Dieseldorf, where is that gas station? That $1.15/gal diesel looks very appetizing :)
Yorkie, I'm afraid that pricing is from a kinder time. During my journey to and from NH today, I witnessed two jaw-droppers:

• $3.749/gallon (Getty)
  • $3.899/gallon (Mobil)
:(

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Wook660 said:
I'm just north of you in Port Saint Lucie. You're more than welcome to swing by this weekend and we can check and adjust your IP timing if it wasn't done using VAG-COM.
__. Hey, Wook, I'm really glad that you're offering to help him (I really like it when we see that kind of cooperation on the site) but I have to say that if it's running as badly as described, there's a good chance that it's not *just* the basic ignition setting. If it were my engine, I'd want the cam-to-crank timing checked as well as the "stick-the-pin-in-the- sprocket" mechanical timing of the fuel injection pump. After all, the computer is supposed to take over the injection timing once the engine is running so if it's not running well (as opposed to hard starting), it could be more than just VAG-Com settings.

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
If you want to spend the time Sunday morning we can check all of that. It's up to you, I have all the tooling and have done a few A4 TDI belts. I'm not sure where he said it was running all that bad, all he said was he had a drop in fuel economy, not hard starting problems. Either way, the offers on the table.

mattrj17

TDI
02 Jetta GLS
Thanks wook, I have been so busy lately, but not busy ebough to take a trip to daytona this past weekend. Scanguage 2 reported an average of 36.6 at 71 mph on i95, bear in mind that ive had the sg2 for about 3 days now. Could the calibration still be off?