MIL light

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I have a 04 Jetta that I just picked up used last weekend. It has 69k miles on it. Drove it work in the rain yesterday. It worked fine. Went out to start it in the afternoon and I had to crank it 3 times before it started. The MIL light came on shortly after it started and stayed on. Drove 120 miles. Stopped for fuel. Fueled up and restarted just fine. MIL light came on again then went off after about 30 seconds. It didn't come on today. What could this be an indication of? Did it have something to do with me refueling?

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
hook it up to vag com to find the fault codes

but it probably sounds like a glow plug problem or a plugged fuel filter

(hard starting) - just had my car fixed for the same problem

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did the previous owner provide any maintenance history? Have you made the time to make sure that any service that was overdue, has been caught up?

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not know any history of this vehicle. I will bring it into the dealer today to find out what the codes are. I do know that since it is a certified unit from a VW dealer that they have done all required maintenance on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
watatrp said:
...since it is a certified unit from a VW dealer that they have done all required maintenance on it.
That doesn't always mean much when a dealer is involved. Not being negative, just forewarning that TDI's have some specific needs, mostly because they are diesels and last a LOT longer than the average gasser.

If it's CPO, is there a warranty?

You may also want to find a local guru who would go over the with/for you, just to be sure everything is up to par.

Tony

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
I took it back to the dealer and they got the codes. They did some research and found a TSB that directed them to change a wire harness. It does have a 24 mo. 24k bumper to bumper warranty. I did also find out that when they serviced the car, it got new tires, brakes, fuel filter and proper oil with the oil change. I drive quite a few miles and will need a timig belt change in about 3 months and have contacted a tdi mechanic. I'm getting 45 mpg so I'm happy with that.