Might Buy an A3 TDI 2011 with 80k Miles...

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
Long time mkiv golf tdi owner here. I've been considering an A3 for sale locally (as stated in title) that appears to be one owner. It has the eTronic transmission, and I'm not sure what that is vs the DSG. I don't know if it's been "dieselgate reprogrammed" yet. But before I get to that I was hoping some other persons with A3 TDI knowledge could advise about reliability and maintenance. I'm fairly handy, have VCDS and the will to do just about any repair short of engine or transmission rebuilds. I replaced the timing belt on my ALH golf so I have that going for me. Any advice, anecdotally or otherwise is appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Sportback is based on the Golf A5 platform, all ours got the 02E DSG regardless, and are all FWD.

The Sportback is essentially a Golf, with a very slightly more "wagonish" rear end, but not quite. They also all continued to use the CBEA engine (balance shafts), whereas the Volkswagens all switched to the CJAA 2010+.

I feel the Audi is more leaning towards a GTI in its driving experience, or at least closer to that than the 'regular' Golf.

BK97

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI Premium
Long time mkiv golf tdi owner here. I've been considering an A3 for sale locally (as stated in title) that appears to be one owner. It has the eTronic transmission, and I'm not sure what that is vs the DSG. I don't know if it's been "dieselgate reprogrammed" yet. But before I get to that I was hoping some other persons with A3 TDI knowledge could advise about reliability and maintenance. I'm fairly handy, have VCDS and the will to do just about any repair short of engine or transmission rebuilds. I replaced the timing belt on my ALH golf so I have that going for me. Any advice, anecdotally or otherwise is appreciated.
I have a 2011 A3 TDI, 160000 kms on it with the eTronic shifters but I never use them (160000 kms = 100000 miles).
My HP fuel pump went in 2019, the DPF failed recently as well plus a DPF sensor but all was covered under the Dieselgate extended warranty.
If anything these cars seem to have lots of little electrical issues.
I still like mine, very fuel efficient.
Buy it.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I have an ‘11 A3 TDI as well. Love it. Sold my ‘09 JSW MT6 for this. No regrets on going from stick to DSG.

the DSG “e-tronic” transmission requires filter/fluid service every 40K. if you have a fill kit and vagcom it’s not bad to DIY on a Saturday or some evening. Bottom drain then bottom fill get to temp by monitoring vag com and you have the correct level. Then Follow the adaptation instructions from rosstech and you’re golden.

The DMF can get noisy on these and will also need replaced some day. I did the DMF and timing belt at 130k miles.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
Its a great car, mine lasted 305k before the tranny took a dump. You just need the timing belt and waterpump replaced every 120k and the DSG fluids done and it will run forever

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Its a great car, mine lasted 305k before the tranny took a dump. You just need the timing belt and waterpump replaced every 120k and the DSG fluids done and it will run forever
Would you say every 120k miles and/or every 10 years?

GianinesA3

TDI
2011 Audi A3
Hey there new the the tdi forum. Just bought a 2011 A3, etronic shifters and S trim, 92,500 miles in the middle of September 2022. I live in N. Michigan. All maintenance performed per schedule. First TDI ever had, although I do have MB 4 cylinder, circa 1976 in my sailboat. Only issue right now is oil change, intervals and the left mirror turn (blinker) led does not work and the dash left turn signal light flashed but is dim when it does flash (this just started). Very enjoyable car to drive. Any thoughts?