Might be the MAF

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
My car sat for a week while I was in Florida. When I returned and started the engine the CEL came on.

The engine would operate in limp mode until it was warm, and then the turbo would kick in and run OK.

I cleaned the MAF with electronic cleaner. Reinstalled and still the CEL. Removed MAF again and and cleaned with isopropol alcohol. Let dry and reinstalled. Still throws CEL.

I've got an appointment on Wednesday at the dealer.

What'cha think?

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
Bingo David, you shoulda called me! You know I am the local MAF-loss expert
Unplug it and cover the connectors with some electrical tape. If it's the MAF you will still get a CEL but you will notice high and continuous boost, and there won't be an initial "super-limp" limp mode. Good luck.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Try running the car with the MAF connector removed. If the car runs better, it is the MAF.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaydhall:
Try running the car with the MAF connector removed. If the car runs better, it is the MAF.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did just that this morning and ran fairly well.

I'll let you know how that appointment goes on Wednesday. I have 19,000 on the odometer and wonder if they will make the repair or if they can obtain the part. So far I've had nothing but good experience from my dealership.

Later,
DEZ

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
I took the car in for service. They ran a diagnostic on it, determined it was the MAF and installed a new MAF. WOW, what a great experience that confirms that Maxwell VW is an exceptional dealership that has provided excellent service. In the midst of a trend toward complaints, I have nothing but good experiences with my dealership.

They even provided me a free loaner with my appointment.

Thanks for the input help, guys.