Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
At TDIFest 2004 we had a midnight movie session on Saturday where the new and old Italian Job was screened. We were wondering what kind of interest there would be for a repeat of this and if there were any suggestions for movies/themes. It wouldn't actually start at midnight, but probably when people started arriving back from the Victory Brewery tour.

Last edited:

WI_Norskie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Galactic Blue
:rolleyes: Suggestions? :D

(even though it wasn't any where near a TDI)

Herbie - Fully Loaded

Herbie Goes to Monty Carlo

Herbie the Love Bug

Herbie Goes Bananas

Herbie Rides Again

:) :D :) :D :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
'Gone in 60 Seconds' is entertaining...

I'm still laughing about 'Eleanor'...

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Clerks
24 Hours of LeMans, 2006
The Gamers
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Automotive related would be the #1 item and VW or Diesel #2. Someone mentioned to me the 24 hours of Lemans with the Audi TDI, but I think that might be a little too long....

We can show the RallyVW crew doing Pikes Peak, but I'm looking for some other suggestions and general interest at this point in this. Strange that we've got more suggestions from people than those actually interested enough to click Yes on the above poll...

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
With enough beer would it really matter?

I was actually thinking Transporter 2 also. The A8 is pretty sweet.

If only someone had DVD's of like 5th gear. Amazing show and pretty funny. The episode where they try and get 40 mpg's in the A8 with the v8 diesel was great.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
I have the Top Gear DVD: Revved up.
I havent seen it in a long time but I remember is a funny and silly topgear production, they were doing silly tricks with rediculous cars. exotics, trucks, superminis etc. Check this link, they describe every scene:Virgin Megastore and here is the AMAZON UK listing with reviews.

If you dont buy Topgear magazine at barnes and nobles or Borders every month you need a doctor :p
I have the original PAL version and made a NTSC version by changing the IFO properties (which means it will not work in Sony DVD players circa 2004).
I have a very good LG Divx/DVD player that plays all formats too.t is originally in PAL.

I definatly recommend watching something fun and not watching something cheesy just because it has VAG cars in it. But if thats what people want then I guess we need to watch I ROBOT which has the AUDI Lemans concept car. (seriously they released a concept car that had the same exterior) but of course watching Irobot would be rediculous. Transporter 2 was ok for the kind of movie it is but lets face it the A8 got little screen time, I would rather watch Ronin (although the Irish chick in that movie has the worst taste in clothing)

I nominate Top Gear DVD's AND/OR Divx eppisodes of their BRITISH broadcast because
1-I dont think that many of us have watched them on this forum. Sorry but unless you are downloading videos and movies "illegaly" or are such a fan of Top Gear that you ordered the DVD's or have BBC british satelite broadcast. I could be wrong, things may have changed but I am confident the Discovery Channel broadcast is tailored for the U.S. market and they do not sell their DVD's here.

If you havent read Topgear Magazine or watched TopGear T.V. I highly recommend it.
But be fowarned it will put a crack in your romance with VW when you realize that Brits view the Golf the way we view the Camry, the anchors of the show and audience choosing in a 'show of hands vote' the Focus Type R over the Golf R32(TV show, they said the R32 is a more safe and conservative choice!), showing a R32 4motion system not hugging the track and keeping sideways on the track's curve like an Audi does(TV) and the survey they did on top 100 cars putting the Bora in 50th place and the Golf in 70th place and Skoda and Seat beating them both (from Dec 2003 magazine).

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
VW Derf said:
Strange that we've got more suggestions from people than those actually interested enough to click Yes on the above poll...
Guilty as charged...:( :D

But if the movie starts well before midnight, I might make it through the first half...:rolleyes:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Hamsterdiesel said:
'Gone in 60 Seconds' is entertaining...

I'm still laughing about 'Eleanor'...
The original Toby Halickie version, or the sanitized Disney one with Nick Cage?
What about Halickie's later films, "Junkman" specifically, where he topped the carnage contained in "Gone"?

I didn't vote either.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
The TopGear video I got is called Revved Up.
I updated my original post with links. Seriously read the Virgin Link, it is hilarious what they do on this video!

I will do my best to get the other DVD's they sell, and my little brother has a collection of VW/AUDI based videos from their UK tv show.

Where and how do we watch the yet to be determined movie? Does the Hotel provide us with a projector and screen?

The Hunt Valley, MD Mariot (which does big events) provides this service.

If anybody wants a copy of this DVD just IM me and I will bring it to TDIfest for free (or beer).

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
where are we watching these movies?
how many hours can we watch?.........

damn no votes for top gear? :(

Like I said if anybody wants a copy at TDIfest let me know I will make 10 to give out

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
The plan is to have the movie run in the hospitality suite.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
mycruiseagent said:
Vanishing Point - with the return of the Challenger on the horizon.

MCA
Which Vanishing Point - the original or the remake? (Both are on DVD.)

And if we're going to consider classic Mopar movies then I nominate 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry' in that case!

Outside of Disney's Herbie pickings are fairly slim for VW content in movies though unfortunely.....

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
There's always Pike's Peak and the RallyVW team...

I won't tell you how it ends...;)

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
I am good for Pike's Peak and the RallyVW team or Vanishing Point. (orginal)

If you want a diesel related movie. How about Maximum Overdrive? :) bunch of diesel trucks and stuff running around on their own. Then they need feeding. :D I know i recorded it off of tv but i can't remember if i ever bight the dvd. I know i inten to.

Also, i would vote yes but all i have are the pool results and no option to vote. so here is my Yes.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I thought I was the only one who didn't remember voting...All I see are the results. Put me down for a Yes.