Mid Michigan summer GTG --Saturday, July 25th

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
lrpavlo said:
PhDwanna
Certainly don't want to contradict Coolwht, but if your car is indeed an A3 as per your signature you already have the "upgraded" clutch doesn't it?
True, forgot the A3's and 99.5 A4's have a more robust clutch. Also depends on just what level you chip it to. RC1 is gentler on the the clutch than RC2 or RC3 for example. Driving style is another factor - if you have a heavy foot upgraded clutch would probably be a good idea. Many factors here - it's not "just a chip" as you're discovering but at least you're asking the right questions.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Old Navy said:
But if anyway I can swing the trip I will be there in the big white ghost with the gun-sight on the hood.
Great!
I hope you make it up, Walt.

BTW
We have a new motel for the out-of -towners at EXIT 133 off I-96...A Holiday Inn Express. It is at the next exit east of the Fowlerville exit.
I will get more info later......
It is an option to the Best Western flop house in Fowlerville. ;)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have an A3-I put PP520's in and the RC2/3 switchable in-didn't notice slip at first(at around 170k),but noticed it about a year later(maybe more/less) around the 185k mark-I'm at 209k now.Most of my slippage is in 4th/5th if I really get on it.I'm wondering if I switched to the Sprint nozzles I could make clutch last longer.My car body wise is at the point where I do not want to do a clutch-I will try to make this GTG,but something usually comes up at the last minute.Is there a way to do Google or Maquest so it doesn't route through Canada? I don't have a passport or EDL,so I would prefer to go through PA & Ohio instead.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Never mind about the directions-just did Mapquest and it takes the 90 to Michigan-about a 100 miles more than the Google(and going through Canada).Will anybody else bring kids? Last GTG I took them too(and wife)-they were getting bored,or else I would've stayed longer.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
JETaah said:
Great!
I hope you make it up, Walt.

BTW
We have a new motel for the out-of -towners at EXIT 133 off I-96...A Holiday Inn Express. It is at the next exit east of the Fowlerville exit.
I will get more info later......
It is an option to the Best Western flop house in Fowlerville. ;)
Hey anything besides the fleebag at Fowlerville. Last time I stayed at a Holiday Inn East of you somewhere, would have to look it up and see. It was a very nice stay and no bedbugs or meth fumes. ;)

I will make this one God willing and the Mississippi don't rise. :D I may come through KY and take a drive across the KY Parkway, very pretty 4 lane highway.

TDIDIESELBOBNY
Will anybody else bring kids? Last GTG I took them too(and wife)-they were getting bored,or else I would've stayed longer.
I may have to bring the 4 year old, but that is not set in stone.

Last edited:

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Now that it's getting closer to July, I guess I can commit.
Commit?
Sounds adulterous!
The wagon's turning 250,000 this month. Would like to do a little work (NOT a TB this time!:) )...but something that goes well with homebrew. Lets' not drop a car on anyone. See ya in Joo-ly.:cool:
JohnD

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Stinkyfingers said:
Now that it's getting closer to July, I guess I can commit.
Commit?
Sounds adulterous!
The wagon's turning 250,000 this month. Would like to do a little work (NOT a TB this time!:) )...but something that goes well with homebrew. Lets' not drop a car on anyone. See ya in Joo-ly.:cool:
JohnD
Man it sure has been sweat not worrying about a TB on a car, or special oils for cam driven injectors.

rbrennick

TDI
A Few ALH 5 speed cars
I am finishing up a 1Z rebuild (it's on an engine stand currently);
do you think that if I brought a GQ ECU to Jeff/ RC with my
build/mod specs and requested deletions (5th inj, cat, etc), it
could be done?
Would anyone know what time "the line starts" in the AM?

Thanks,
Rich/ Big Rapids area

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
hmmm,

pending that I get my vacation week switched - I will bring my jetta up for RC3 as it should be ready by then, injectors will be balanced within weeks and the clutch will be going in before the end of may. I saw this thread a while ago, did OP remove the attendance list for potential chipping? I was going to list myself with what I have - but I also know Jeff is usually a first come first served kind of man

RC is still on i can assume?

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Concerning Rocketchip: there is no advance list for Jeff's services. It is first come, first served and sign up starts when Jeff puts out the sign up sheet at the GTG. There is no set time for the start of Rocketchip - when Jeff is ready it starts then. He is usually among the first to arrive as it takes a little time to setup.

I have no afflilation with Rocketchip other than being a customer and the above statement is based on my observations of seeing Jeff at many GTG's.

Jeff should be there - I can't recall him missing one of Marty's GTG's in all the years I've been attending. I'm sure if he can't make it it will be posted in this thread. Until then, assume he is coming and save your pennies if you are taking the plunge!

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi - RC will be attending ;-)

Lurchalicious said:
RC is still on i can assume?

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Old Navy said:
If you can't make it and since you're in KY, he occasionally makes it to mine here in Swamp East MO.

Weather and other factors permitting a 1000 mile plus drive. :eek:
well since this GTG is about an hour from my in-laws family in MI ill using it as "hey lets go visit your family - but on this day I will be gone lol"

I saw a thing earlier - are dogs allowed? It looks like a big place and my Lab loves people

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
The problem with dogs at GTG's is people will be working on cars and lots of oil & grease to get on dog and besides some people do not like dogs or are scared of them. Not to mention when food is around the dog often becomes a real PIA and that can be very annoying to many people.

Just something for you to think about. We are thinking about fencing in a portion of our yard for a play area and dog run for the boys in the future, but got to save another load of gold.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am hoping Peter brings the old grey Goose back this year. that was good times last year.

TDIrapin

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ DSG
hmmm...I will add this to the calendar. Hard to pass up after last year's! Thanks, Marty for hosting again.

Depending on the project list maybe I could sneak on the hoist for a bit to put a panzer plate on the car. Been meaning to do that for the longest time and maybe this is a good reason to do it!

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
I'm putting this one on my calendar and hope to make it. Last year was great! To me it demonstrated what true community is meant to be.

I hope to have my clutch done before then. If not I hope to do it there if possible.

I am NOT bringing cash. Do not allow me to get near Jeff to get a chip upgrade......

JP

-Adonis-

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Black Jetta GLS TDI
I'm going to try to make it out there this year, but can't make any promises right now. I want me an RC tune real bad :D.

Then I gotta save for a new clutch :(. lol

There's a good side and bad side to everything it seems :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TDiTran

TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Silver
TDIrapin said:
Depending on the project list maybe I could sneak on the hoist for a bit to put a panzer plate on the car. Been meaning to do that for the longest time and maybe this is a good reason to do it!
I have to make one of these get-togethers - sounds like fun. I have a Panzer Plate sitting in my garage too. Doesn't do a bit of good there! If we get some lift time, I'll give you a hand & then let's see if we can set a record throwing one on my Golf...

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
TDiTran said:
I have to make one of these get-togethers - sounds like fun. I have a Panzer Plate sitting in my garage too. Doesn't do a bit of good there! If we get some lift time, I'll give you a hand & then let's see if we can set a record throwing one on my Golf...
Wussies! Panzer plates are easy to put on with car on ramps. The two of you get some rhino ramps, and take turns being on top.....;)

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
paramedick said:
Wussies! Panzer plates are easy to put on with car on ramps. The two of you get some rhino ramps, and take turns being on top.....;)
Man you are a character Paramedick. I will be finding out I by the end of the month what the dates will be for the 7th annual GTG here at my place.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ooo I might have to make the trek out there again for that one :) it's been too long

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I'll bump this up to the top again and agree with the 'medick :cool: the ramps are fine for Panzerplate installs. Too much reaching too far up with a hoist! ;) Of course it might be just me as I'm kinda used to the floor/bellypan perspective anyway. :eek: I just hope "The Usurper" AKA TDIrachet can make it to take some pressure off these old bones, how about it Capn'Kirk? Is she back from the wilds of Canada and still willing to get under TDIs?

CaptainKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I have it on my calendar and am looking forward to coming to Marty's again. We even have another TDI in the family that needs a chip....:D. We're also looking to change the springs and bring one of the fleet back up to stock if I don't get it done by the GTG. The previous owner lowered it.

TDIRatchet is back from the wilds of Canada and has just started a summer job. We don't know if she's going to be able to make it but she'd love to show us all how to turn a wrench....

She just finished 2 strut jobs and a brake job here at home. You should see all the mechanic's heads spin when they find out she really knows what she's talking about....

With all the talk of Panzer plates, I can bring a set of ramps and an assortment of tools. Do we have any AC experts that will be there? How about nozzles and injector testing...

See everyone at Marty's.

TDiTran

TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Silver
paramedick said:
Hey, you get me laying on my back in grass on a warm summer day and I'll be asleep in a Michigan microsecond! That's OK, wake me up when it's over...:D