Mid Michigan GTG -- Saturday, July 10th

buildingup

TDI
None
Other than people working on their cars and helping others fix their cars. Is there anything planned such as dyno or anything. Not that I don't mind meeting new people just wondering if events are planned.

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
it takes about 3 hours by someone who knows what they're doing with no issues encountered along the way. Most TB's take 4+ hours.
My first timing belt-- with plenty of pointers from Glen, took about 9 hours-- but I'm a klutz. The 2nd one took about 5 hours, but Kirk did a lot of the critical stuff and I didn't have to keep looking in the "how-to" pages.
JohnD

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
I'm sure there will be plenty, but someone with Vagcom on sat mind helping me clear my glowplug CEL?

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
I am sure there will be many vagcom set ups at the gtg. I will have mine and be happy to help out.
see you there..

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
We'll look forward to seeing you Bruce and Eric! Here's to safe traveling.

Oh, and you too Peter (by the way which vehicle from the stable are you driving this time?)

Hoping for safe travels for all out-of-staters including but not limited to: (Peter, Bruce/Eric, and Frank/Mary, and Jeff-RC) - we're fortunate to have you all make the trek.

Does anybody know if Dave (TDIMeister) is planning on making it - I think he's back from Germany now, right?

Kirk

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Other than people working on their cars and helping others fix their cars. Is there anything planned such as dyno or anything. Not that I don't mind meeting new people just wondering if events are planned.
I'm gonna say no Dyno and these GTGs are usually way too informal to have scheduled events. If you have any Qs or concerns, just walking around and talking to people will more than likely get all kinds of willing helpers. You can even get your own event going. :D BTW, I'll be throwing some empty jugs in the trunk for used fluids again, just in case. :eek: See y'all tomorrow!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
MOD,

I should have included you in that out-of state welcome too, as your purty far up their buddy! After the GTG, I'm going to be in Elk Rapids next week.

Kirk

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
Looking forward to meeting everybody. Hope everyone has safe travels!

I'll be the newb kid standing in the corner :D

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Aw c'mon Kirk, there's lots of Michigan North of US-10! It's not that much of a drive, especially without snow. :eek: I will try to make it safely tho. Watch out for deer everyone and enjoy the drive. Diesel is $2.88/Gal. up here now so at least it's more affordable than some past years.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
It's 2.88 or 2.89 at the BP at 10 mile road exit off of US131 too. Are you driving the Beetle?

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Well this has been relegated to be a social only / pick up parts GTG for me. I have been having some back issues recently and the doc says no to any work until he figures out exactly what it is..
I do plan to have the injectors looked at, but will have to wait on the suspension overhaul.
Unless I can find a helpful soul willing to do it for some green paper. and a little assistance from me. I will bring all the tools that I've got just in case..

See you tomorrow!

\/\/

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya know I might nix the whole wheel bearing idea and just do that later on my own time. I finally have the title for my 92 Jetta, I think I'll drive it :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm here in Fowlerville. 15 hours, partly because of heavy thunderstorms, partly because of stops for Parker the wonderdog.

Filled up at the Erie Island Plaza on the Ohio Turnpike. 735 miles, 48.0 MPG. Not bad for the cruise set at 75 and air on the entire time. I always get worse economy heading west. Maybe I'll hit 50 on the way home.

See all y'all tomorrow!

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Would like to make it out and see some of the old faces, just too dang much work right now. I'm not complaining about it though. Have fun everyone!:D

-Jason

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Unless I can find a helpful soul willing to do it for some green paper. and a little assistance from me. I will bring all the tools that I've got just in case..

See you tomorrow!

\/\/
What a coincidence. We brought the suspension stuff with us. Find
Eric when you get here and haggle with him. He's willing for the right inducement. ;)

TDI
Well this has been relegated to be a social only / pick up parts GTG for me. I have been having some back issues recently and the doc says no to any work until he figures out exactly what it is..
I do plan to have the injectors looked at, but will have to wait on the suspension overhaul.

See you tomorrow!

\/\/
Hey Will, I had planned to help you with the suspension work. If Marty has spring compressors and the other tools, I think we can knock this out for ya. Look me up and we'll see what we can do.
Kirk... I'm bringing the Jetta, need to do the DSG 40K service and maybe pop the VC off for a look at the cam and lifters for wear. Are you bringing the "War Wagon"? :cool:
Fair Wifey is whipping up a broccoli salad as we speak so brace yourselves! :D See ya tomorrow.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
I'll bring spring compressors just in case. The Wheel Bearings showed up from Aaron today so hopefully I can get 'em swapped out tomorrow. I can lend a hand with the suspension if it's not too crowded under there......

I haven't heard anybody pipe up if they wanted me to bring the canopy (10' x 10') unless I hear otherwise it's staying home.

I'll see everybody tomorrow. I'll be hitting the road @ 5:00 a.m. my time, but I'll check in here before I leave the house.

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm willing to gopher, wrench hold, whatever for peeps. I plan to get some advice and hopefully some leads on parts I need. Be awesome if the experts didn't mind going over the car with me to look for what needs replacing... I suspect rubber pieces are at EOL on my car with the bangs and wiggles I'm getting on our OOOHHHhhhh so great roads. You can tell she's German, she doesn't like anything but perfection for the roads she travels.

Baring that, I'll probably be in the corner doing some minor repairs, heck maybe I can talk Jetwag into helping me light my boast gauge. :)

Can't wait to get her to her first Marty GTG.

Last edited:

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Sorry guys (and you, too Sandy). I won't make it today. Bad night last night. I had loaded-up the meat and VAGCOM 10-point whatever-it-is-now.

Stay dry and have fun...Dave

Caledoniatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta
Leaving work (JCI in Battle Creek) at noon to noon:30, hopefully Frank remembered a set of injectors to swap, I remembered the $. Looking forward to meeting other TDI geeks (at least that's what my family calls me)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm now in Ohio staying the night before heading home. Thanks to Marty and Sandy for opening your home, and for an excellent day. I really enjoyed matching names with faces, and it was gratifying to see some real wrenching going on at a GTG. Michigan TDIers are hard core.

On another note, Michigan is one of my favorite states for driving. You guys are aggressive but consistent, and drive FAST. I like that.

Parker had a great time, despite no goose presence this year. He's exhausted. Thanks to all who ordered stuff, and I'm already looking forward to the next one!

TDI
Well, we made it back to Saginaw safe and sound. No more excitement once we got that last intake hose clamp on right. :eek: Thanks again Marty and Sandy for your kind hospitality. As always, you make us feel welcomed and put up with my antics.:p Now to start pricing cams and saving the pennies. Yeah, yeah might as well do the TB too eh? It never ends...

TheRedMagi

Veteran Member
TDI
uggg... just got home. Was almost the last to get his nozzles in. Still trying to figure out how that occurred. Thanks Marty and Sandy for letting us invade your home! Chili was excellent... the company was even better... And I walked away with redone injectors and a RC2+ tune! Go fig! Bad news, clutch slip! But I figured that the clutch was starting to go anyways this week.

Thanks to Frank, Bruce, Eric, Growler (sorry missed the real name), Russ, Kevin, Jeff, Marty, Sandy for a great time! Thou really late :)