Michelin Primacy mxv4

cdurdle_nl

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hey folks,

Two weeks ago I purchased a new set of michelin primacy mxv4 from Costco. 205x55x16 And it appears like I am not get the same amount of fuel mileage. I normally get 800km per tank and now I get about 700km. Any suggestions?

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI on alloy rims.

Thanks,

Chris

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
New tires (for me) have an MPG penalty until they "wear in".

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
100km is a lot of different, you may have same issue or you pushing harder:D

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I actually picked up the same tires, different size. I love them so far. I'm not noticing any difference in fuel mileage, but then again I did just remove my studded winter tires.

Hank101

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sedan
I recently replaced my stock tires with Michelin Energy-Savers, and did not notice a change in mpg until broken in (several thousand miles). I now notice a gain of about 2 mpg. Much quieter as well.

I now believe that there is a "break-in" period, but am unclear on what actually "breaks-in".

fnord

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 115K
I got a set of MXV4's a couple months ago and saw the same mpg penalty. I upped the tire pressure to what's listed as max load on the fuel filler door (don't remember psi off the top of my head.. I'm thinking 32-ish). Mileage has improved and ride is super smooth and quiet.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I have 14k on mine, I believe the first two or three tanks were a little lower. Now it's the same as the stock tires, I had the Connti's.
They sure handle better!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
cdurdle_nl said:
Hey folks,

Two weeks ago I purchased a new set of michelin primacy mxv4 from Costco. 205x55x16 And it appears like I am not get the same amount of fuel mileage. I normally get 800km per tank and now I get about 700km. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
This is absolutely and positively normal. While I do like new tires, they really take anywhere from 300 to 500 miles to so called "break in". How you break them in can also have an effect/affect on their longevity.

Now I am pretty serious about longevity, so I break tires in at much lower speeds and far gentler than I normally drive. As a consequence I do not experience mpg loss to not as much. (you can see how the variables would balance out?) So the real hit can be anywhere from .5 mpg to 3 mpg. So if you are losing 100 km per tank of say 10-12 gals...i.e., high normal.

Another thing that (I am swagging as the information is not provided) might affect the figures are Costco folks are DIRECTED to put in oem PSI recommendations, which may/may not be what you normally run. So for example, the 03 TDI has oem recommendations of 26 psi. I run them @ 38 psi (85% of max side wall pressures). Just that alone can and does make a HUGE difference. The affects/effects are both short AND long term. Not many folks have posted over 100,000 miles with 26 psi/44 psi or even in Michelins case of 26 psi /51 psi. Additionally while I think the Michelin is the superior oem tire, I posted 112,300 miles on oem GY LS-H's.

Last edited:

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
yup..... I got the same tire with the exception of them being 15". Costco goes by VW recommendation on tire pressure, so get them to bump them up to 38-40 lbs.( I actually run mine at 42 lbs., some will probably flame me for that), and see the difference my friend. The ride is superb. Milage will be good after an allowed break in period as mentioned above. You will absolutely love those tires my friend.:)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
No flame here. That 42 #'s/51 psi is actually 82% of max side wall pressure.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I run 90-95% of MAX on my Primacy tires ~ 45-48#.

If we change tires to something other than original OEM tires, isn't the VW recommendation irrelevant? Shouldn't the PSI be based on the tires specs?

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
The pressure "recommendation" on the fuel filler door is for load carrying capacity and has little to do with the max rating of the tire.

Keep this in mind if you run a change tire load ratings. The "recommended" air pressure would no longer apply. For example I ran Yokohamas for a while and they were only 89H instead of 91H so needed a little more air.

I run mine higher anyway so not a problem. Generally 85% of max is fine unless you may be in a situation where tire temps could get really high. An example would be high-speed runs for extended durations.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stirer said:
The pressure "recommendation" on the fuel filler door is for load carrying capacity and has little to do with the max rating of the tire.

Keep this in mind if you run a change tire load ratings. The "recommended" air pressure would no longer apply. For example I ran Yokohamas for a while and they were only 89H instead of 91H so needed a little more air.

I run mine higher anyway so not a problem. Generally 85% of max is fine unless you may be in a situation where tire temps could get really high. An example would be high-speed runs for extended durations.
It might seem that way, but the oem could hardly base their 26 psi recommendation if they did not know the standards 1. H rated 2. max side wall pressures of 44/51 were there. 3. etc.,etc., were in place.

Again, since there is no way that VW could test EVERY possible tire that is recommended for the VW, nor the long lists of PLUS +sized aftermarket and oem options, nor could the tire manufacturers test EVERY possible tire and every possible configuration, etc, etc, and yada yada,(endless here is the point), the whole system depends on STANDARDS.

Your last piece of information can be seen as confusing. So for example, I routinely run 38 psi (44 psi MSP) 6.25 hours in 104 degrees F AMBIENT. (desert) 584 miles, 12.1 gals, A/C full blast and trunk filled to the gills and 3/4 people. I would be loathed to run the oem recommendation of 26 psi and/or the 30 psi. In fact most oem owners manual specify a higher PSI for sustained higher speed highway travel. (i.e., Honda Civic) Since VW's are made to run the autobahn and in fact come with H rated tires (130 mph) there is a redundancy, that is not repeated too much in VW owners manuals.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Turbospool said:
(snip) ( I actually run mine at 42 lbs., some will probably flame me for that), (snip)
__. No flame from me either. I've never run a stock tire on my '03 wagon but on my '02 sedan, I found rattling vibration from the road plus unnerving "tramlining" on truck ruts at around 38-40 pounds (actually, really bad at 40 pounds) with stock 195 Michelin tires. But they were almost as comfortable at 37 as they were at 32 so that's where I kept them. That car averaged almost 57 MPG over its life of 129K miles. I'm pretty sure that low 40's on pressure would have made the MPG's better but I'd have been miserable.

(Note; I live in a agricultural area - trucks carrying hogs and chickens to market rut our roads pretty bad; plus I don't think our roads are rated very high - we don't have bad winter condition. All this might make our roads rougher and more rutted. Just what works for me, but I'm not going to flame anyone else for finding what works for them.)

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mrGutWrench said:
__. No flame from me either. I've never run a stock tire on my '03 wagon but on my '02 sedan, I found rattling vibration from the road plus unnerving "tramlining" on truck ruts at around 38-40 pounds (actually, really bad at 40 pounds) with stock 195 Michelin tires. But they were almost as comfortable at 37 as they were at 32 so that's where I kept them. That car averaged almost 57 MPG over its life of 129K miles. I'm pretty sure that low 40's on pressure would have made the MPG's better but I'd have been miserable.

(Note; I live in a agricultural area - trucks carrying hogs and chickens to market rut our roads pretty bad; plus I think our roads are rated very high - we don't have bad winter condition. All this might make our roads rougher and more rutted. Just what works for me, but I'm not going to flame anyone else for finding what works for them.)
Your post is another piece of data that indicates 38-36 psi seems to be one of the factors of longer tire life (129,000 miles), without having quite as punishing ride. So on a 51 psi max side wall pressure tire that would be 75% to 73%. On a 44 psi max side wall tire 84%.

Indeed VW seems to have gotten closer to that @ their current oem recommendation (2009 TDI) of 38 psi. (51 psi max sidewall pressure tires)

(as a side note: there are no 44 psi MSP tires recommended as for the 03's for example)

I have been running the 38psi/44 MSP on a new set of Toyo's TPT and the wear per 1/32nd matches the oem GY LS-H's tires (15,500 miles per 1/32nd). On a 2009 TDI, the oem tires are at a similar rate (15,000 miles), but since it is a 51 psi tire, I run more like 44/43 psi. The ride is firmer but not punishing.

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Try Reading These

cdurdle_nl said:
Hey folks,

Two weeks ago I purchased a new set of michelin primacy mxv4 from Costco. 205x55x16
And it appears like I am not get[ting] the same amount of fuel mileage.
I normally get 800km per tank and now I get about 700km. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
:)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

and

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

As far as Costco prices are concerned, they are becoming far to high IMHO. :(
Their prices are easily bettered. How? Email me privately and I will explain.

HTHs.

:D

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have these tires on a non-VW vehicle in 205/60R16. The tire dealer aired them up to 36-38PSI and I thought the ride was pretty punishing. I let air out once I had gotten home and given the tires a chance to cool. I used the OEM recommendation of 32psi and that seems to be a lot better.

I didn't lose any mileage on the first couple of tanks so I am hoping that once these wear in that the mileage will be an improvement on the Kumhos that came with the car.

The Primacy MXV4 is the top rated performance all-season tire by Consumer Reports, which did sway my decision. We'll see how it works out.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
This link says it all re: new tires and rolling resistance (thanks to Derrel and TireRack). It should be on the FAQ page, because it is a FAQ.

Plus - as also mentioned above, Costco (and some other shops) will only fill the tire to what is posted on the fuel door, and 26 psi ain't enough!!! The absolute minimum for A4 cars is 32 psi. I find that 36f/34r is the best compromise between comfort/handling/mpg. If travelling with the family and stuff, 38/36 is best.

Ray

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Another Thing About Costco and Others Places as Well

raybo said:
This link says it all re: new tires and rolling resistance (thanks to Derrel and TireRack).
It should be on the FAQ page, because it is a FAQ.

Plus - as also mentioned above, Costco (and some other shops) will only fill the tire to what is posted on the fuel door, and 26 psi ain't enough!!!
[Right you are!]
The absolute minimum for A4 cars is 32 psi. I find that 36f/34r is the best compromise
between comfort/handling/mpg. If travelling with the family and stuff, 38/36 is best.

Ray
:)

Another 'rule' from Costco:
Costco will not 'allow' anyone to go bigger than what is already listed for their vehicle. :eek:
i.e. My new JSW came with some Bridgestone EL 400-02s. The stock size is 205/55-16s.

As I wanted to gear it up slightly, I enquired about mounting 205/60-16
Michelin Primacy MXV4s on the new '10 TDI JSW with DSG. ;)
'No can do' I was told by the still wet-behind-the-ears employee waiting on customers.
"That size is bigger than the three (3) percent Costco allows" I was told. (Well siss on you pister!)
That and the fact that the tires I had asked about were $123.99 plus tax plus $15 (!) to mount and balance 'em plus, and as mentioned above, they're not I]'allowed'[/I] to properly inflate my tires higher than the VW recommended PSI of 35 psi cost them my business by actually did me a big favor. :p
Total price would have been well North of $625 and they wouldn't even do it!

The tires I bought from Discount Tire, the GY Assurance Fuel Max cost me only $90 each.
No shipping charge and no tax! I ordered them in size 205/65-16 and they do fit like a fine glove. ;)

And to boot, Wally Mart mounted and balanced 'em for the hugh sum of only $40, so I saved another $20. Total mounted and balance was $400, and I got exactly what I wanted and saved over $225.

So I got exactly what I wanted at a very good price and when inflated to 40 psi 'cold' they do
ride much better than the original Bridgestones at that same pressure and I believe they roll
much easier also. Those larger tires 'geared it up' more than five (5) percent I believe.
(24.9" to 26.5" diameter increase. Tire revs dropped from 837 down to 790 per mile.)
You know my F E is bound to improve somewhat don't you think? :confused:
I will keep you all posted either way! :cool:

Don't know where CR bought their GY Assurance Fuel Max tires, but they surely paid far too
much @ $129. They paid more for their GYs than they paid for their Michellin Primacy MXV4s!

Questions, and comments welcomed. :cool:

:D

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I run 35 PSI in my Primacys. I find that anything higher than that and I risk damage to my dental work. It's quite bone rattling. But with 35 PSI I have seen over 740+ miles a tank and 56 MPG. So I'm in the "Q" zone now.

I was unaware that Costco sold brand-named tires. I paid $123 a pop for my MXV4s.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB_TDi said:
I run 35 PSI in my Primacys. I find that anything higher than that and I risk damage to my dental work. It's quite bone rattling. But with 35 PSI I have seen over 740+ miles a tank and 56 MPG. So I'm in the "Q" zone now.

I was unaware that Costco sold brand-named tires. I paid $123 a pop for my MXV4s.
What is the MY oem psi recommendation?

That very well could be the case; as mine are run with oem struts and shocks. The oem suspension is designed and engineered to execute a more compliant ride. This compliant ride is vilified for many reasons and by many different folks. Other reasons can include tolerances and preferences. So if you have gone to any combination of suspension components, aka "upgrade/s": a stiffer set of struts and or shocks and springs, stiffer poly "xxx instead of oem rubber parts, stabilizer bars, angle stabilizers, lowering, low profile tires, etc., etc., ...., So while it is oxymoronic to want a stiffer combination of suspension components and want a lower tire PSI because it is too "STIFF"...

Last edited:

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I've had a belt slip at 38K on one of the the OEM Conti's on my 2006 Jetta TDI. Also the tires are almost worn out from a treadwear perspective, which would make them among the worst I've ever had for treadwear so I'm leaning on not getting a second set of the Conti ProContacts.

I live on gravel and am considering these Michelin Primacy tires as they seem decent and have a much better treadwear rating, which is important on gravel. Does the consensus of the group think it's worth $50 more (which is what I can do locally with the Michelins vs. the OEM Conti's) to go with the Michelins? Locally I can't get a good deal on the Contis.. another reason for me to consider the Michelins.

There are other tires that might fit the bill, like Turanza Serenities, but I'd have to order them from a place like tire rack and then pay someone to mount and balance them.. so really for simplicity these are the two I've narrowed it down to. Is there any reason not to go with the Michelins?

Thanks,

Fred

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michelin's for $50 per set higher price? Absolutely a no brainer.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
I've been running TOYO's and only getting about 45k out of them. For the $ difference I plan to go to Michelins. Do you guys recommend the Primacy or Energy. I think the car came with Energy's originally (that's what the spare is). My dealer recommended the Primacy because he says the treadwear is much better and the Energy's won't save very much fuel. What do you guys think?

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
The Primacy are the updated version of the Energy... As far as I can tell from my research (not first hand) the Energy tires are not nearly as good as the newer Primacy tires are, especially in wet (rain) traction. Go for the Primacy version.

I guess I'm off to spending almost $700 with tax for these installed. I do hope you all are right and they are good tires. I hope I can get >40K out of them.. the Contis basically sucked after about 25K but were awesome from a handling standpoint prior to that. Are any parts for a VW reasonably priced? ;) $700 hurts for tires for a passenger car.. Especially after I had to have the rear brake pads replaced at 38500 miles. (They were shot alright)...I've NEVER had to do that on any other vehicle before 65K before. I'm really wondering about my two VW's now... I wasn't really expecting the total damage at 40K to be over $1K (with the upcoming 20K mi interval service, brakes and tires)... ow.. Makes up for the 43 MPG quite a bit, doesn't it?

I suppose I'll get over it..;) I have to start doing some of the work myself. Once it's out of warranty for sure...

Fred

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
ruking said:
It might seem that way, but the oem could hardly base their 26 psi recommendation if they did not know the standards 1. H rated 2. max side wall pressures of 44/51 were there. 3. etc.,etc., were in place.

Again, since there is no way that VW could test EVERY possible tire that is recommended for the VW, nor the long lists of PLUS +sized aftermarket and oem options, nor could the tire manufacturers test EVERY possible tire and every possible configuration, etc, etc, and yada yada,(endless here is the point), the whole system depends on STANDARDS.

Wrong.

The recommended inflation pressure of 26 psi is for the load rating of the stock tire. On my 2003 Jetta 91H tires were supplied with a recommended inflation pressure of 26 psi. Should you choose to use a different load rating for a tire (say 89H) then you must adjust the pressure according to the load you place on the tires. If you change the original tires with those of a lower speed rating then that is your choice but your choice and should be done at your risk also. Also, if you change the loading of the vehicle you must adjust for this in the tire inflation pressure - see your fuel door.

Manufacturers supply tires with a speed rating beyond the speed capability of the vehicle or the governed limit of the vehicle.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stirer said:
Wrong.

The recommended inflation pressure of 26 psi is for the load rating of the stock tire. On my 2003 Jetta 91H tires were supplied with a recommended inflation pressure of 26 psi. Should you choose to use a different load rating for a tire (say 89H) then you must adjust the pressure according to the load you place on the tires. If you change the original tires with those of a lower speed rating then that is your choice but your choice and should be done at your risk also. Also, if you change the loading of the vehicle you must adjust for this in the tire inflation pressure - see your fuel door.

Manufacturers supply tires with a speed rating beyond the speed capability of the vehicle or the governed limit of the vehicle.
You certainly are wrong, even you say it in your quote... yourself. So you are saying there are no standards!!?? That is patently incorrect. Of course you should not change the standard (from 91 H to 89 H my op ed), but IF you do, then who knows what the psi adjustment is; let alone use the same 26 psi!!?? The door also gives the so called "full load adjustment for a 91 H tire. It does NOT give 89H load figures !!???

Last edited: