Michelin pilot sport AS3+ 2015 GSW TDI S and now I feel like it needs an alignment

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
I put the Michelin pilot sport AS3+ on my old 2011 JSW TDI and I drove wonderful. So I had them installed on my 2015 GSW S(16 inch wheels) and it feels like it’s wandering a lot. Takes a lot more effort to track the car straight at highway speeds (70-75 mph).

I’m going to get the alignment checked hopefully this week. Has anybody else had a similar issue when getting better performing tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
It may have sounded like a re-purposed the tires for my 2011 on this car. That is not the case. This is a brand new set of tires on the 2015 GSW

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
You just spent $500+ on brand new tires. Why wouldn’t you do an alignment?

You make a good point and I have no reasonable answer. I obviously not cheap lol

I’ll schedule an alignment.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
If you plan on keeping the car a long time, especially with that 165k mile warranty, I recommend Firestone’s Lifetime Alignment.

It’s ~$120 but you can bring your car in every week to have the alignment checked if you want. Pays for itself after two alignments (which with the amount of potholes we have here in CT), which is worth it in my opinion.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Depending on your local Firestone dealer, the lifetime warranty can be a mixed blessing. If they have a high turnover rate, which mine has, not only will there be a whole new cast of bead-busters every time you visit, but the alignment tech will be an underpaid newbie. And "inexperienced" is a not an adjective you want associated with the guy aligning your car. Yes, the latest Hunter alignment racks are designed to be "foolproof", but Hunter engineers are very sharp folks and can't imagine the level of foolishness some humans can achieve. Its not the tech's fault; its the management that hires him and won't spend the money or take the time to apprentice and season him or pay him his worth.

I used the lifetime warranty exactly twice before I learned my lesson. You might be lucky, though, and have an enlightened manager running your local store and in that case, yes, the lifetime warranty is a great deal, especially if you drive on bad roads.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I totally agree with Chris. The same guy at the same shop has been doing our alignments for the past ten years.

Depending on your local Firestone dealer, the lifetime warranty can be a mixed blessing. If they have a high turnover rate, which mine has, not only will there be a whole new cast of bead-busters every time you visit, but the alignment tech will be an underpaid newbie. And "inexperienced" is a not an adjective you want associated with the guy aligning your car. Yes, the latest Hunter alignment racks are designed to be "foolproof", but Hunter engineers are very sharp folks and can't imagine the level of foolishness some humans can achieve. Its not the tech's fault; its the management that hires him and won't spend the money or take the time to apprentice and season him or pay him his worth...

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Subscribing to, see how those Pilots turn out and to add that sometimes a new set of tires can feel a bit "squirmy" for a thousand or so miles. Also you have a deeper tread on a new tire and I've been told that can cause a squirmy feel till they wear in a bit, or till you get used to the feel of the new tires. That tire is also softer than the longer mileage rated ones. Personally I've only experienced this once and it was on a 3/4 ton truck, and it did either go away or I got used to the different feeling.

I am not a tire expert just throwing out what I have heard and my one experience with it. I am real interested in those pilot sports, I was just looking at them last night.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You might be lucky, though, and have an enlightened manager running your local store and in that case, yes, the lifetime warranty is a great deal, especially if you drive on bad roads.
My local Firestone in Bristol, CT has been excellent with all the techs being friends of my nephew. Have also had a great experience at a Firestone in Hixson, TN and Fishkill, NY that I've visited in a tire emergency.

Completely 100% dependent on how the franchise is run..like any other franchise. Whereas I've had my rocker bars destroyed (thanks VW and their insistence on pinch welds) by a Costco tire shop.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Subscribing to, see how those Pilots turn out and to add that sometimes a new set of tires can feel a bit "squirmy" for a thousand or so miles. Also you have a deeper tread on a new tire and I've been told that can cause a squirmy feel till they wear in a bit, or till you get used to the feel of the new tires. That tire is also softer than the longer mileage rated ones. Personally I've only experienced this once and it was on a 3/4 ton truck, and it did either go away or I got used to the different feeling.

I am not a tire expert just throwing out what I have heard and my one experience with it. I am real interested in those pilot sports, I was just looking at them last night.

I will definitely come back and update.

I’m being patient with it for the moment and will schedule a alignment next week just for peace of mind and hopes of better tracking. It’s like mild corrections in steering are too much input to the wheels.

They are really grippy and quiet. I mostly drive on the highway and it’s been windy lately, so that will amplify the twitchiness. But I’ve also driven at night with very little wind and it’s still twitchy. I have a wind compass on my phone for awareness regarding fuel economy mainly, but it helps with this too.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Some VW Need dealer alignments due to the steering electro Matic? This is something the dealer can only do lifetime alignment places cannot align these types of cars

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Some VW Need dealer alignments due to the steering electro Matic? This is something the dealer can only do lifetime alignment places cannot align these types of cars

Citation needed.

Between this and your 20k oil change intervals, I’m pretty sure you just take any little piece of nonsense you read on the internet as gospel.

JayOdom

TDI
2011 JSW
Citation needed.

Between this and your 20k oil change intervals, I’m pretty sure you just take any little piece of nonsense you read on the internet as gospel.

I’m curious about that as well. Our dealer here is really good and I’m thinking about having them do the alignment on my car, because if they find a problem I have an extended warranty.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
[emoji848]on the 20 k oil i do Oil analysis and if it’s fine I leave it in there test show nothing wrong no reason to change and dealer brought this to my attention on the alignments

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
As stated in the previous thread, you're adding four quarts of oil in that 20k. Of course the test reads fine.

And the dealer told you only they can do alignments?! Must be true.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I will definitely come back and update.

I’m being patient with it for the moment and will schedule a alignment next week just for peace of mind and hopes of better tracking. It’s like mild corrections in steering are too much input to the wheels.

They are really grippy and quiet. I mostly drive on the highway and it’s been windy lately, so that will amplify the twitchiness. But I’ve also driven at night with very little wind and it’s still twitchy. I have a wind compass on my phone for awareness regarding fuel economy mainly, but it helps with this too.

Sooo I need to buy tires pretty soon and was looking at the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ vs the Michelen Premiers.....any updates on the Pilots?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Depending on the tire size, the pilots a/s 3+ will be different in precise tracking. If you go for the firestone alignment, have them set machine to minutes rather than tenths, set toe to zero. If you like how it feels then leave it at that setting. With the 225/40/18 on mine, it tracts like on rails.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Depending on the tire size, the pilots a/s 3+ will be different in precise tracking. If you go for the firestone alignment, have them set machine to minutes rather than tenths, set toe to zero. If you like how it feels then leave it at that setting. With the 225/40/18 on mine, it tracts like on rails.
Mine are 205/55/16s, are you saying you are running Pilots?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I can't decide between the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Michelin Premier A/S. I absolutely do not need a high mileage tire and the Pilots sound great although a bit noisier than the Premier which I wouldn't mind the tradeoff for the better traction and braking. I really probably don't even need an A/S tire as they will probably never see snow or ice, or temps below freezing. (We actually have 2 seasons here, hot and hotter) Any opinions welcomed at this point.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The pilots aren't noisy but might not be quite as quiet as others. I think your tire size should be 225, not 205.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I am still on the fence if I should even replace them at all right now, 30K miles on them and 4 years old but I don't know the history except that they sat on the storage lot for 2 years during the buyback. When it comes to tires past experience has made me leery of gambling with them, albeit this is really the first light car I have owned. Heavy cars seem to be more brutal on tires.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
I just put the continentals extreme contact 225/45 zero 17

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My mistake, my S came with conti's 16 and now wears 18's with the as3+ 225/40/18. The electromechanical steering system with its controller I believe makes alignment far more critical to steering feel than hydraulic systems were particularily with a precise tire like the pilots.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
And this is why a dealer needs to do the alignment and not your normal discount house or tire store they don't even know what this is. Ask me how I know been there done that