MIB1 to MIB2 conversion, lost RVC

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
After a lot of waiting on tools (D-Link dub-e100, VCP, and some online help), I finally have a working MIB2STD in my 2015 GSW S.

But the rearview camera (RVC) is not working, the only thing not working.

Here is my long coding on 5F:

Anyone with experience in what could be going on, probably some other setting somewhere else?

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
If I remember, I had the issue too, and it took a couple times opening and closing the module in VCDS to get all seven of these adaptations to take:

Bill @ ATR said:

To re-enable the PDC "Park Pilot" screen and RVC overlay if not working after an MIB2 swap, open the adaptations menu in the "Information Electr." module (5F). Then make sure the following are set:

ENG122227-ENG117496-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc activated

ENG122227-ENG117500-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc_after_disclaimer not activated

ENG122227-ENG117497-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc_clamp_15_off not activated

ENG122227-ENG117498-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc_over_threshold_high activated

ENG122227-ENG117499-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_pdc_standstill not activated

ENG122229-ENG117710-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-parking_assist_0x0A activated

ENG122229-ENG117711-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-parking_assist_0x0A_msg_bus Terminal 15

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have additional retrofits on my car (2015 GSW Highline SEL) like Active Info Display, ACC, so it'll be different, but here's the coding off my 5F MIB2 to compare to yours:
02 73 02 02 00 00 00 00 01 22 00 02 00 1B 00 10 2F 01 00 F5 71 70 00 00 DE

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't think of the adaptations, and indeed this one "ENG122229-ENG117710-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-parking_assist_0x0A" was not active. Unfortunately, changing that to "active" didn't solve the issue. The old MIB1 has it inactive too.

Also, my car doesn't have parking assist, or lane assist, so I wonder if there is other adaptations that I need to change. I tried mimicking the adaptations from the MIB1 and that didn't work either.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Long shot, but have you tried the old-timey computer fix (akin to unplug, reboot, replug): Change the coding for RVC to off, turn off the car, turn it on again, code it back on?
The binary coding is so low-level that I doubt it would make a difference, but it's something I'd try.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your coding in Byte19 is D4 (11010100).
My coding in Byte 19 is F5 (11110101)

So, differences are I have bit2 and bit7 "on", whereas you have them "off".

Try F5 there and see what happens (?).

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope F5 didn't solve the issue, but worth the try, thanks!

This new MIB2 came out of an Atlas, which I'm sure didn't have the same setup as my car...so frustrating, the RVC is the only think my wife cares for, not even radio (her car).

It's as if the MIB2 is not even looking for the signal, the screen does not go black, does nothing while the emblem swings and the lights come on. I thought that was a CANBUS signal, the whole of it as soon as the shifter (manual) engages reverse.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Genuine VCDS but second hand, so I never paid and register to my name

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Found it!!!

From this forum post #10

5F adaptation:
IDE04307-ENG117712-Vehicle function list BAP-VPS_0x0B >not active -

Et voila, a fully functioning lowline-rvc with a 3Q0 035 844B (MIB2) out from a 2018 Atlas.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
My parts list:

Main unit: going out 5G0035844 (MIB1, Panasonic), going in 3Q0035844B (MIB2, Delphi). Ebay for $125
Screen: out 5G0919605H, in 3G0919605H. Ebay for $100
USB jack: removed the MDI, routed and connected 5G0 035 222 E. Ebay for $49
D-Link DUB-E100 (the black one): Groovesland for $36.56
Online help from Brazil (only 1h difference): $80...I only recommend you go with this guy if you are pretty proficient yourself as he might not be able to get every single detail (adaptations) completed.

I did buy VCP, but you don't need it if you already have VCDS. No need for VAS tool or ODIS with this Brazilian guy.

Total $390.56, I say I did not too shabby.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Super glad you got it all figured out!

Though, I’m super curious how the Brazilian guy was able to do everything without any sort of interface to your car?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
He used just the USB connection to the MIB2 (via the D-Link DUB-E100), my laptop with TeamViewer, and an SD card which I had to switch back and forth between the laptop and the MIB2.

He did the long coding of 5F and most of the adaptations using my VCDS under TeamViewer.

I do have to say that the Component Protection fault remains, I can see it using VCDS in both the Gateway and the MIB2 unit, but the fault doesn't impede function at all.

Also, there was at least another adaptation needed to get rid of fault 1555 Check Software Version Management. I recommend downloading XaGiCo guide, the fix is there plus much much more...all you have to do is calculate the new value for this adaptation IDE02502-Confirmation of installation change in 5F

1. Use this website http://xor.pw/
2. Add current adaptation value in First Input I INPUT (hex b16)
3. Add value 51666 in Second Input II INPUT (dec b10)
4. Click Calculate XOR
5. Add the result as new value for the adaptation channel (hex b16)
6. Clear errors

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Some more info for whomever wants to do this retrofit:

I don't know all the whimsical names: composition media, composition colour, discovery, discovery pro; I wanted basically the same I had but faster, gaining USB, and Android Auto, no maps, and my car has no Fender amplifier, rain sensing, park assist, nor lane assist, only KESSY. You need to be aware (I wasn't), that even if you don't have those, the car the new infotainment is coming from might, and you'll need to select those out, or you'll have issues like my rearview camera not talking to the infotainment (or vice versa).

Part of the coding for those options is in the long coding of the infotainment channel (5F), an even bigger part is inside the Adaptations. Luckily you can save both and compare between the old parts (coding and adaptations) and the new parts.

This thread is super useful, but extremely lengthy: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/

Tips and tricks:
  • The higher the letter of your part number, the newer it is 3Q0035844 B is what I procured, for example
  • Save the long coding and adaptations. XaGiCo's guide has the method to save everything using VCDS, VCP, ODIS, or OBDEleven
  • DO NOT turn the car's ignition before you test everything out, you'll be tempted...DON'T! The moment the ignition is switched, the CAN Gateway and the new MIB2 communicate, which triggers Component Protection
  • Once set, Component Protection will be on, even if you disconnect the car's battery, and/or hard reset the MIB2, CP creates a permanent memory that this new part does not belong in this car
  • Do all your testing (maybe you get a bad part) without turning the ignition, you'll be able to test almost everything without flipping the ignition, make sure your new USB jack works, audio works, MIB2 is not stuck in a reboot loop, or blue screen

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Found it!!!

From this forum post #10

5F adaptation:

Et voila, a fully functioning lowline-rvc with a 3Q0 035 844B (MIB2) out from a 2018 Atlas.
i have the same exact issue with my retrofit, the RVC comes up 10% of the time only or after a hard reset. Can you elaborate please on what worked for you? thank you

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
@bmwM5power : explain your setup a little, what trim GSW, does it have park assist, lane assist...?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
@bmwM5power : explain your setup a little, what trim GSW, does it have park assist, lane assist...?
GSW S, no park assist or lane assist, manual tran. I got the MIB2 already coded for me, everything works except the RVC acting up, it works occasionally, but I can make it work after the system hard reset ( holding power button on the radio ), but it works till the next car shut off. Hovewer, 10% of the time it works when I start the car in the morning. Checked wiring all of that all good.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, so you do have the same car as me, which means it has a low line RVC. Did you copy 5F coding from your MIB1 and made sure you now have the same coding in the MIB2?

Couple of things that are a must for the camera to work:

1. Check Byte 19, Bit 4 in 5F long coding. VCDS has a helper, I don't remember exactly how it needs to be set, but it will make sense to you once there

2. 5F adaptation:

Now, adaptations are a pain. The list is super long, but find that value IDE04307-ENG117712 and set it to "not active"

Which MIB2 did you get, brand, model?

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, so you do have the same car as me, which means it has a low line RVC. Did you copy 5F coding from your MIB1 and made sure you now have the same coding in the MIB2?

Couple of things that are a must for the camera to work:

1. Check Byte 19, Bit 4 in 5F long coding. VCDS has a helper, I don't remember exactly how it needs to be set, but it will make sense to you once there

2. 5F adaptation:

Now, adaptations are a pain. The list is super long, but find that value IDE04307-ENG117712 and set it to "not active"

Which MIB2 did you get, brand, model?
its PREH, the coding was done for me, i got it plug-n-play with coding done and CP removed only added the 8 inch screen and USB port

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have VCDS, verify long coding Byte19 is D4 (11010100), and adaptation IDE04307-ENG117712 is set it to "not active"

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have VCDS, verify long coding Byte19 is D4 (11010100), and adaptation IDE04307-ENG117712 is set it to "not active"
the thing is when i go to there and click long coding helper i get the this message

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Well...that is weird. However, you do have D4 coding in Byte 19...I only spot a few other differences in coding from my own long coding.

Can you get into the Adaptations, or does it give you Error also?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My guess is VCDS isn't bringing up the long code helper because the software on that unit doesn't match the hardware. My quick search for 2GM hardware shows it might be from a VW T-Cross. The hardware from most of the radios is very similar though not exactly alike which allows you to flash software from other radios and even other regions.

But you might get weirdness with their function and VCDS may not have a reference file in their database that corresponds to the HW/SW combo being read from your module. So leaning on the side of caution, it does not give you the long coding helper.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its PREH, the coding was done for me, i got it plug-n-play with coding done and CP removed only added the 8 inch screen and USB port
Where/who did the unlock and coding for you?
Perhaps they locked out certain functionality (?).

On my (hacked) unit I got from APG, I have to go into TESTMODE (hold MENU button for like 10sec or something until a menu screen comes up), then the Green Engineering Menu, then something like "Allow access next 3 (or 10 - two different options) starts".

Then I reboot and I can access it with VCDS. You can already get in with VCDS, so I'm not sure that's gonna help you at all, but maybe it's worth a look-and-try (?).

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Where/who did the unlock and coding for you?
Perhaps they locked out certain functionality (?).

On my (hacked) unit I got from APG, I have to go into TESTMODE (hold MENU button for like 10sec or something until a menu screen comes up), then the Green Engineering Menu, then something like "Allow access next 3 (or 10 - two different options) starts".

Then I reboot and I can access it with VCDS. You can already get in with VCDS, so I'm not sure that's gonna help you at all, but maybe it's worth a look-and-try (?).
I got it from a person selling these on mk7gti forum, it came from Brasil, they did all the hacks and programming, and theyre also on this issue trying to help, but told me this is the first time they see issue with the RVC on these units. At firts they said it might be related to the parking sensors that I dont have. I do not know what exactly car this unit came off of.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it from a person selling these on mk7gti forum, it came from Brasil, they did all the hacks and programming, and theyre also on this issue trying to help, but told me this is the first time they see issue with the RVC on these units. At firts they said it might be related to the parking sensors that I dont have. I do not know what exactly car this unit came off of.
If the infotainment is set for parking sensors, the RVC won't work correctly. Check that adaptation I mention, at the bare minimum, although there might be other adaptations that are specific for all those extra sensors

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
If the infotainment is set for parking sensors, the RVC won't work correctly. Check that adaptation I mention, at the bare minimum, although there might be other adaptations that are specific for all those extra sensors
i will do that, if it lets me, but I was told this unit is set for the parking sensors disabled, they took all the info about options on my car and vin before thy coded it

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
i could not find IDE04307-ENG117712-Vehicle function list BAP-VPS_0x0B in adaptation. The closest similar thing i found was this, and it was set to "not activated"

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry bmw, I have nothing else to offer, as I don't recall which other adaptations and bytes in long code need to be "fixed".
What I do remember is that all the possible ones to trigger codes, or stuff not working right had to do with parking sensors, or adaptative cruise (ACC)