MFSW upgrade in 2009 JSW!

whackit

TDI
2009 sportwagen
Hi folks, I just installed the much needed and unfortunately missing MFSW in my 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. I'm sure this will be a popular upgrade so I thought I'd leave some tips.

The basic information is contained in this exceptional thread.

http://forums.jettamkv.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=121

There are a couple of issues as it pertains to our car.
The control module that was in my car was PN:1K0 953 549 BR. this module will not work with the mfsw. The current part number and the one I used is: 1K0 953 549 BK.You'll also need the newer style of MFSW airbag harness which only has a single purple airbag connector. this is PN: 1K0 971 584 C Lastly you'll need a wheel! These are available in many outlets I suggest you try ebay first. I have part numbers for the current GTI sport wheel with paddle shifters: IK0 419 091 DDTDL and this is for a normal style (round wheel like our car came with) leather mfsw with paddles from an EOS: IQ0 419 091 SVFT. I didn't research the non paddle versions but they should be variations of those numbers. note that most any MFSW will work. just make sure you get one that uses your airbag (3 spoke not 4).

I have one caveat when it comes to the installation that differs from the DIY.
It is very easy to remove the control module entirely, not seperate the circuit board like in the DIY. Simply unscrew the screw. It's just a small torx, nothing special. Look at your new module. You will see two posts with catches sticking up from the back. one near the front and one by the connectors. you simply use a screwdriver to release these latches on the old module. it was ridiculously simple. note that my car also did not have the warning tape in the diy so you won't give away that you were mucking around here. Also the "square bit" is simply a 12 point 12mm star bit. These are available at almost any auto parts stores and are cheap.

So to the results! Everything works great! Cruise, Rear Wiper, all buttons active. The stalk MFD controls still work. The only difference is that the menu button on the wheel now cycles you through all the menus instead of bringing up the main menu. in other words. push. audio. push. convenience. push. MFD. etc. I like that way better than the previous menu selection method. And the best thing... PADDLES! This alone is worth the whole ordeal. The car is so much more sporty when using the transmission in manual mode and the paddles make it effortless. It's like a video game. I highly recommend this upgrade.

All in with new parts from a source like 1stvw (they are great) it would cost around $800. The parts can all be had for much cheaper if you check classifieds and ebay. There are also numerous other module part numbers that will work. you can check here:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(1K)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for this post! It was exactly what I've been looking for. I have the wheel ready to go. Now I just need to get the harness and module.

Did you vag-com the car right after the swap or did you have to get someone to come over and help you or did you drive it somewhere to have it coded? I don't have a vag-com so I want to know if I'd be able to do the swap then drive to a friend's house or if I'd need to do the swap AT my friend's house (50 miles away).

Thanks again for the info.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a used MFSW but I'd love to install one with paddles as well. Interested in providing me a wheel w/ paddles in trade for my normal MFSW w/ some cash?

Also, I need the following parts to finish this if anyone has a line on them (besides buying new)...

Single-ignitor airbag harness - 1K0 971 584 C
Steering Wheel Control Module - 1K0 953 549 BK

bromwich

TDI
2009 JSW
Perfect tips and parts - I just finished it on my 09 TDI JSW. And I definitely second the results - it is fantastic fun using the paddles! Instantaneous response - far better than the ordinary shift. Much much more sporty. It was totally worth it.

The job was painless - only tip I can offer is make sure you center the steering wheel well. I didn't realize it was off until I was done, then had to do it over. The do-over only takes 5 minutes but it's a pain. I'd suggest noting where the lines line up on your old wheel before you remove it. I was so eager to remove it I never stopped to look.

Also - I didn't have to do any vag-com-ing, everything just worked. I had to reset steering and windows, that's it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wish you had posted this a month or so ago. I bought the wrong MFSW harness (with two airbag connectors) and now I'm waiting for delivery of the correct one. I can also add that there seems to be a variety of Steering wheel controllers used in 2009 Jettas. According to Vag-Com my JSW has a 1K0 953 549 CQ controller. I know a guy with a sedan w/ factory MFSW and he has a 1K0 953 549 CD controller. When my harness arrives I will test and see my controller works with the MFSW. Did your "BR" (the one that did not work) controller accept the coding for a MFSW or not; or did it just not work after changing the coding?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to replace the clockspring (slipring) assy. That was my fear.

Don

Last edited:

DamselDiver

TDI
2005 TDI New Jetta 2009 JSW
I just got my MFSW w/ Paddles for my 2009 JSW. I installed the steering wheel today. The harness and module weren't available locally so I ordered them from 1stVW.com. I have a guy that services Audi, & Porsches with the proper ODB VAG tool, If I have trouble coding it with the ECS Master VAG tool he'll fix it for me. I also want to turn on Scandinavian DRL and coming home lights if possible.

I'm really looking forward to having my Parrot BT work properly and paddleshifting.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

DamselDiver

TDI
MFSW W Paddles Mod MkV JSW

I just got my MFSW w/ Paddles for my 2009 JSW. The harness and module weren't available locally so I ordered them from 1stVW.com. After I installed the hardware I coded the soft code with VCDS. Everything works, but the volume for the stereo. The phone button works, the MFD+ works, cruise control on the stalk works, and the rear wiper works. The paddleshifters also work properly. No fault codes registered on this mod.

Does anybody have any ideas about getting the volume buttons on the steering wheel to work?

Thanks
Cheryl

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
DamselDiver said:
Does anybody have any ideas about getting the volume buttons on the steering wheel to work?

Thanks
Cheryl
In my experience holds true for you, you can change the coding and get the radio volume buttons to work, but the price you pay for this is that the wiper stalk MFD buttons won't work anymore (the MFSW buttons do work, however). You might also get a fault code saying that the steering wheel controller is not correctly coded - but it works OK. It's your call which is more important - all the MFSW buttons working, or a (harmless) fault code and no stalk buttons.

Good Luck

Don

DamselDiver

TDI
Recoded and all's well

I recoded with VCDS using a soft code of 0012122 and everything works. I can control the MFD+ from the buttons on the right side, but the stalk no longer controls the MFD+ display. I don't have any fault codes. I can live with this. I found the codes on a post from a vwvortex thread.

I was told that the parrot bluetooth wouldn't work with iPod, but when I press the phone button on the MFSW, the iPhone goes into voice dialing mode, the iPhone also answers with the button on the wheel. I'm pretty sure I can use the phone even if it's not out on the dash.

The paddleshifters are pretty cool and the buttons light up when the dash is lit. All in all I'm really happy with the mod.

Thanks to everyone here on TDIClub.com and VWVortex.com that helped and posted instructions and photos, the knowledge base on these forums is simply incredible. Finding the right parts would have been infinitely more complicated without the groundwork laid down by the members here.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Cheers
Cheryl

Last edited: