MFD MPG not really accurate??!!

skigolfmike

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG SEL
As a software engineer, verifying the gas mileage, speedo and odo were the first things I thought about, mine is about 8-10% optimistic. I did just get 48 mpg on a trip to Ohio from VA with the computer saying 50.9, so ...

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I gather most of the reading error is due to the very slow response time to changes. I had a 2000 model Honda Insight and it was ultra fast in changes to mpg. This 2013 VW is terribly slow compared to that car.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Can I ask a real dumb question: why is the mpg info on the MFD wrong at all? Why does it read high? After all, I'm sure VW engineers can make it accurate if they wanted to.

Is it simply just VW marketing trying to make the car appear to be getting better mpg than it's really getting? I think I know the answer to that.

After a few law suites, manufacturers tend to be careful. They don't want to have your specific car to error in such a manner that properly inflated tyres are too high or low. Specifically the usual serious problem usually ends up.

They also want to make sure that they don't want to have your car telling you that you are going 75 when in real life it is going 85. That kind of error can be a killer.

Remember the Ford Firestone problems.