MFA Cluster Conversion! Pictures!!!!

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
I picked up mu new European (UK) TDI Sport cluster yesterday from Komet155 (Joe).

unfreakinbelievable!

This was far better than I had imagined!

The Speedo goes to 160, granted the only way the stock TDI would hit 160 is falling off a cliff.
But the cluster itself is beautiful. I will be going to the dealer after work to get the 4 digit secret code. That seems to be the only hitch in the entire equation.

Joe, thanks again for your help, It was a pleaseure doing "bitnes" with you.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: SVTWEB ]

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
how much for the cluster and how do you plan to make the MFA functional. Also is it possible to enter your correct mileage so you do not need to stamp your title with a changed odometer stamp.

osidak

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
The cluster was $440, the supporting hardware: Wiper Stalk, outside Temparture sensor, and various connectors came to $100.

There are only 5 wires that need to be run, the hardest is the one for the outside temparature sensor.

The whole cluster can be programmed via a VAG-COM including the updating of the cluster to the correct milage.

Whoo Hoo!!!! I'm a lucky dog!

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
Would you mind posting some part numbers for the items neccessary. It's something I've been thinking getting myself.

Thanks,

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Gentlemen.... We have success!

THe cluster went in without flaw. It took about 1 hour to run the wires for the stalk. The only thing left for me to do is run the outside temparture wire. I ran out of time last night.

Coding the module was very very easy with the VAG-COM. A footnote on 2002's. They have the Imobilzer III system that requires a different coding procedure. You need to have the SKC (Secret Key Code) from the OLD cluster to adapt the new one. It automatically pulls the milage and safware coding all on once. Earlier years require you to do this in separate steps.

The only casualty was the small trim at the bottom of the cluster. The tabs break off with the slightest pressure. I have one on order.

I will post a pic if someone can get me some space, or I can email it to someone to post.

All I can say is this is slicker than stepping on slugs in bare feet......

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
email it to me and I can post it temporarily

let me get this straight - you got a MFA cluster that works with the TDI that reads miles per hour?

Sounds too good to be true?

Does it give mileage readings and all that?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
So was the stealer required to code it or no?

Also, what was your total cash outlay for this mod?

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
OK Guys, It's all good. Everything works just like it was installed at the factory.

Joe is great to deal with, everybody drop him a line and get the group buy thing going again. paternos@worldnet.att.net

Here are the details. The only differences are in the way you have to program them.

Parts that are needed:
1.UK Cluster with MFA (for those who don't know, UK clusters are in MPH, and they make them for TDI's)
2.Wiper stalk for MFA Cluster
3.Outside Temperature Sensor
4.Clip for the above sensor to hold it into the bumper
5.Plug for the above Sensor
6.Pins for the above Plug
7.Plug for the Wiper Stalk
8.Pins for the Wiper Stalk
9.Pins for instrument cluster
10.15 Feet of wire

You also need access to a VAG-COM or a cool dealer.

Diconnect the battery before performing any work. On 2002 and later vehicles, get the IMMOB. code with a VAG-COM before you disconnect the Cluster. Also, write down you mileage for future coding.

Removing the cluster takes about 10 minutes. Unfortunately I didn't know the secret to removing the trim at the bottom so I had to order a new one.

Remove the top Steering column trim, then move the steering wheel to the bottom, outward position. Using a small flat blade screw driver, release the small tangs that hold the lower trim from the bottom of the cluster. At the bottom of the cluster are 2 T20 Torx screws. Remove them and pull the cluster out. Disconnect the 2 connectors on the rear of the cluster. That's all that's to it.

Next, remove the Airbag, and steering wheel. With the steering whell out of the way you can remove the lower steering wheel cover. This will now allow you to remove the Wiper stalk.

You have to make 3 wires 18" long with the pin for the wiper stalk on one end and the pin for the cluster on the other. You then need to make 1 wire 18" long with a pin on one end for the wire stalk and a round terminal end.

Connect the 3 wires to the appropriate terminals, and the 4th goes from the stalk to a ground screw behind the cluster.

Make a wire 10 Feet long with a cluster terminal on one end. Place it in the appropriate pin #26 on the green cluster connector. Feed it through the firewall towards the front left lower grill. This is where the temparature sensor goes. Cut the wire to the correct length and attach it to Pin 1 of the connector for the temperature sensor. Make a wire and connect it from Pin 2 to a ground under the battery.

Reverse the assempbly procedures. Power up and code with the appropriate procedures for your year of vehicle.

Total time was about 4 hours. Total cost was about $500. My dealer gave me the immob. secret code without any questions. All in all I rate this about a 6 out of 10 in difficluty. According to the computer I'm averaging 53.2MPG. I'll let it run through a couple of tanks, then I'll use the VAG-COM to make a adaptation to the MPG program to be closer to the milage that I really get.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Boy, you A4 guys are lucky. This is such a painless conversion compared to the A3s and B4s (whose clusters can't be re-programmed by central diagnostics).

Shouldn't your MFA also read oil temperature? The A3s did. I know the A4s have an additional reading that the A3s didn't (instantaneous MPG), but I wasn't aware that they deleted any functions.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
So-these MFAs are from the UK??? Doesn't that mean your mpg will be in iMPERIAL gallons??? Someone already asked this-but I don't know if it was answered or not......Also-what does this give you-mpg and temperature-or other info as well????

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
All of the functions for mesurement are based on the country code that you select when in your basic programming. There is a 5 digit code that sets the basic program of the cluster.

Example 07232

The first 2 digits tell the cluster what options you have. IE- brake pad inticator, Low coolant, Etc.
The 3rd Digit is the Country Code.

1 - ECE
2 - USA
3 - Canada
4 - UK
5 - Saudi Arabia

The 4th Digit is for Service Interval, we in the US don't have one so it is set to 3.

the 5th digit is for the pulse constant for the speedometer. This is set depending on what engine/Transmission combination you have.

The County Code's do the following.

1 - ECE: 24-Hour Time, Milage in KM, Fuel in Liters, Outside temparate in Cel. , No buzzer when door is and keys are in ignition, Default Language is German.

2 - USA: 12 Hour time, Milage in Miles, Fuel in US Gallons, Outside Temparature in F. , Open Door Buzzer, Default Language is English.

3 - Canada: 12 Hour Time, Milage in KM, Fuel in Liters, Outside temp in C Default Language is English.

4 - UK: 24 Hour Time, Milage in Miles. Fule in IMPERIAL Gallons, Outside temp in C. Language is English.

5 - SA: Not Idea... Didn't try it.

You can also go into one of the configuration channels and change the language to suit your needs.

You can also do an adaptation on the Fuel guage and the MPG indicator to more closely match your cars actual.

Akula13

TDI
jgordon6866
Web Thanks,
i will be ordering mine om nonday, cmon guys we all want this and Joe does know his stuff and the guages are going to take off if we can get enough peopls to order them
again web thanks if you have pics please e-mail to me

thanks
James Gordon

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
SVTWEB,

This is awesome! Thanks for being the guinea pig to see if it worked!
Could you pass along the part numbers for everything that you needed?

Also, do you have an auto or a manual? It would be nice to get part numbers for both types of cluster (with and without the gear indicators).

-davin

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
DavinATL,

From the information that I have there is no difference between the part numbers for Auto/Manual. When you code the cluster, if your option code show automatic it places the PRND321 at the bottom of the display.

I'll shoot some pics after work. Fred just told me how to sign up for space.

Just a footnote, a couple weeks ago I made a post that was flamed by many with the attitude that It couldn't be done. All I ask is how would you like your crow....

Akula13

TDI
jgordon6866
Web,
im hurt, all we earned is a little measly crow, BTW the group buy is still on. joe sent me an e-mail today i will order mine on monday and will wait for the group price. i think he is taking $250 deposit to secure a spot cmon guys lets get in line.

Web i like my crow boiled in oil

thanks
JAmes Gordon

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
hey im still interested ..is there any way to get the us country code but with 24 hour clock?..my older scirocco and jetta had them and quantum i prefer 24 time to 12 hour..let me know who do i email again for the group buy ?..i think the # of people talking about this here and on vortex has confused me..ha..one of you emailed a pic already ..thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I'm glad to see you got it working. But a few of questions remain:

(1) How do you calibrate the outside temp reading since I would expect the length of wire and gauge to affect the circuit resistance and thus the accuracy of the reading?
(2) I was going through the vehicle warranty and saw the clause: If the speedometer unit is replaced, the "speedometer replacement record" must be filled in by an authorized Volkswagen dealer.
Did you do this?
(3) Can you give more step-by-step instructions of what you did in VAG-COM since most of us don't have a "cool dealer"?

CountryBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-Speed
That is so cool. I remember seeing you get flamed on Vortex about this. Glad it worked! I wish I had the money, cause I'd buy it for my car even tho I don't have it yet!

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
MIGOLFGLSTDI....

1) Your one of those people that "think" you have the answer to everything aren't you
.... To give you a quick lesson in electronics, the way the circiut is designed, you would need several feet (i.e.- 100+) to make a large enough difference to effect the accuracy of the sensor. Were not dealing with a scientific instrument here, were only trying to get the ambient temparature. +/- .5 degrees isn't going to matter. Not to mention do you really think that VW takes the time to enginner all the variables of the resistance in the wire due to the engine heat under the hood, or the cold of an arctic winter....

2) The mileage never changed, If you want to do that to your car, fine, If I ever sell it I'll check the box that it was changed and reset to original mileage. My unit was not changed by a dealer so they did not have to fill out the paperwork.

3) Read a few posts above.... If they are unclear, get yourself a shop manual. It will go into better description on how everything comes apart, and even tells you the pin locations. I spent about 10 hours on this job. It's not rocket science, It's just using the shop manual and common sense! If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then perhaps you shouldn't do it. The shop manaul also gives a fantastic description of how to program the cluster. That part took all of about 10 minutes. It'a listed under OBD-Replacing instrument Cluster.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
SVTWEB, No I don't think I know everything.

Q1 was based on knowledge gained many years ago when I built my Heathkit weather station and calibrated it. Plus I put an aftermarket rearview mirror in my other vehicle with simultaneous temp and compass display. Its instructions specifically stated that the unit was calibrated with that specific sensor and cable. Shortening the cable or damaging and repairing it would affect accuracy.

Q2 is concern that someone might do this and VW would find this as a way to disallow any warranty claims. My concern is for all the club members. I don't want them to get screwed by service managers and "fine print".

Q3 is also for concern of club members. I have the Bentley Service manual and it says nothing about coding the mileage. Not all members are as full of common sense as you and need step-by-step instructions. If you had more common sense perhaps you wouldn't have broken the trim piece.

I do appreciate the effort you have put into this and shared the info. You get a big thumbs up from me for this.

Just think a little about the entire audience here. You have people with the ability to build these clusters from scratch to people that only know how to put the key in the ignition and turn it.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
This is great, I'm drooling on my keyboard. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one.

Can someone repost the details/costs (and part numbers?) for the group buy?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
SVTWEB,

Ok, geat mod. Now, you are required to go to the Westminster GTG at TGI Fridays in Owings Mills(just south of Heritage VW) on Sunday October 21st at 4pm.

Hope you can make it.

Lito

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
That truely is a an awesome mod I will be getting a hold of you when I get a hold of some cash. I thought the cluster would be in km but it is just like ours minus the water temp being in °C. but oh well.

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
I know this is probably a silly question but will it work on a 2000 TDI? I notice the cluster is quite a bit different in appearance. If this will work with a 2K car I will buy. Don't have the money for it but I will buy it.

osidak
00 Jetta TDI gls

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as can it can be determined, the cluster will work in all MK4's. When a quesry is made on the part number it shows that it will work with all the compression ignition engines. 99-02.......

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
SVTWEB,

that is one VERY kewl mod. The finished product looks great! Nice job and effort.

One other issue that comes to mind: Since this is a Euro cluster, it must have the LED in place for the rear fog light indicator which my cluster is missing.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: dieseldorf ]

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
I've been looking for this conversion for some time also. My concern is that my Golf is 99MY and it doesn't have CAN bus to the instrument cluster. MY00 and newer have CAN gateway on the instrument cluster and are conected to CAN bus.
Now, I don't know much about this, so would anyone know if MY00 cluster will work on MY99 vehicle (maybe somebody tried it?)? Also, is it possible to put immobilizer III cluster in a car which previously had Immo II or are ECU, keys and some other changes necessary?
Thanks very much.