Methanol injection

808tdi

TDI
MK6 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Yes, and many people here run W/M.
There are tons of threads on the topic here if you do a search.

--off topic--
I see on your planned upgrades you plan to do APR stage 1 & also a DPF delete. That isn't going to work out very well.

ADFTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT, 2 door, black.
Yes, and many people here run W/M.
There are tons of threads on the topic here if you do a search.

--off topic--
I see on your planned upgrades you plan to do APR stage 1 & also a DPF delete. That isn't going to work out very well.

correct you are, forgot to change Stg1 to stg 2 when i added dpf delete. thanks for pointing it out!

Also, if running W/M injection, would i have to tune for it?

Last edited:

808tdi

TDI
MK6 Jetta, '01 Beetle
There's no stage 2 or DPF delete offered by APR....
I know this because I "went APR" and now I'm forever stuck with my DPF.
Also, if running W/M injection, would i have to tune for it?
With the generic kit that you are thinking about I have no idea. I think devilsown and Snow performance have specific applications for TDIs.
I'm in the process of working on a Snow system right now.

Last edited:

ADFTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT, 2 door, black.
ywa malone tuning has a dpf delete file. I found the snow performance kit last night. how safe is it to run W/M injection?

808tdi

TDI
MK6 Jetta, '01 Beetle
ywa malone tuning has a dpf delete file. I found the snow performance kit last night. how safe is it to run W/M injection?
It is 100% safe when installed and run correctly. I got my snow kit form vr-speed.com for 550. That's the cheapest I could find it.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I've ran a stage 2 snow performance kit (boost regulated) for about 4 years or more with no problems. You just need to ensure the mix is mainly in favour of water as too much methanol can lead to issues. I tend to use a roughly calculated 60/40 mix in favour of water.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
I've been running the Snow max mpg kit with no problems for about 10k now on a 2010 SW. The only problem I have is an occasional tough start with a white cloud if I forget to shut the meth off before I get home. Snow does tell you to shut off the system 5-10 miles from home to prevent possible pooling. Usually 5 miles does it for me, as long as I rev it up once or twice after I shut it off.

I run 50/50 mix with no problems. Even with cost of the methanol mix($2 per gallon for 50/50), it still will pay itself off, not to mention the added power/lower egts. I was surprised by the power increase, especially with 50/50. Washer fluid(70/30ish) does work, but you can tell the difference between 50/50. I use about 2 gallons +/- .5 gallons per tank. But that is with the injection set rather aggressive.

EGT's are definitely a lot lower. I used to be able to touch 1k F if I went wide open up a really long hill near my house. With the kit, I haven't hit 800F yet and normally run around 550-600 on highway when I used to run closer to 700-750.

Last edited:

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Wow, I hit 1000 F often. During regens, I have seen 1400 F a couple times in 6th gear with a heavy foot. Is that really as bad as it sounds? That's how it's been from the factory (2013 Premium Jetta Sedan 6MT) with ~8000 miles.

808tdi

TDI
MK6 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Snow kit on a MK6 Jetta

I finally got my stage 3 water methanol kit installed and running in my car. I can definitely feel more power with 60/40 injection. Now that I got my TCS button installed I'm going to schedule a few dyno runs.

That tank was full to the top 16 miles ago... But I was doing a lot of "Testing" to see what it could do :D

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I hit 1000 F often. During regens, I have seen 1400 F a couple times in 6th gear with a heavy foot. Is that really as bad as it sounds? That's how it's been from the factory (2013 Premium Jetta Sedan 6MT) with ~8000 miles.

Hint: I don't have regens ;)

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Lucky haha. I think I'll wait till the free maintenance is up before I think about that stuff.

JamesTwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Beaware of washer fluid. Not all of it made with distilled water and can cause deposits on the nozzles, and also can lead to mineral build up in the oil. Not saying it going to cause problems right way or that you can not occasionally use it.

Great source for methenal is at go carts race tracks, drag strips, etc where they burn it for fuel., buy it 5 gallons at a time, then mix it with distilled water from you local super market.

808tdi

TDI
MK6 Jetta, '01 Beetle
There is no washer fluid with methanol where I am.... ever... So I am forced to buy the good stuff. 100% M1 Methanol. It damn near knocks me on my a$$ every time the fumes hit me while I'm pouring it. I run a 60% water 40% Methanol mix. The thing with methanol is that it is capable of evaporating straight through plastic. If you keep it too long in a plastic container it will lessen the mix without you ever knowing.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
Be careful with pure methanol as well, as it will burn with almost no visible flame. The blue flame is hard to see during the day. The heat would probably be your first evidence of fire. It does look really sweet in a firepit at night though.

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Beaware of washer fluid. Not all of it made with distilled water and can cause deposits on the nozzles, and also can lead to mineral build up in the oil. Not saying it going to cause problems right way or that you can not occasionally use it.

Great source for methenal is at go carts race tracks, drag strips, etc where they burn it for fuel., buy it 5 gallons at a time, then mix it with distilled water from you local super market.
Devil's Own recommends running a solution of CLR through every 6 months if you are running less than perfect fluid. I wonder if a Brita/PUR/etc would stand up to washer fluid?

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
Why? redundancy?
The solenoid by the tank is the "main" one, which stops the mix from draining since if you install the nozzles as per their directions, the nozzles are below the tank. I had my nozzles installed above the HP EGR, so it can not drain, even if the solenoid fails.

The second solenoid(closest to nozzles) is for the power nozzle and opens when you reach that set point.

Power gains for me are quite noticeable. With it on, I have much trouble holding in second gear on dry and every gear when wet. I can also slip clutch rather easily in 6th with meth on. With it off, I have to try to do it.

My mileage as per the dash is slightly better, but hand calculation revealed it was much better displayed. I've averaged 45mpg on an entire tank of mixed driving with the meth on. Around town seems to show more improvement, which would make sense, since I only boost enough for injection on hills during highway driving, where around town, the injection is on much more frequently. I guess I could lower set point while driving on highway, but I find too low of a set point causes too much pooling.

I honestly would probably have done meth as my first mod after having driven with it for some time now, though I am not sure if power gains would be as noticeable without the tune. I would think it would only help keep the DPF clean, since it is supposed to increase combustion efficiency, but at same time, I guess the cooling effects on the EGT's could interfere with passive regens....Though if less soot passes through the DPF, it should I guess, require less regens. Just theorizing...

I've had it running for a while now and I still get impatient waiting for car to warm up so I can turn it on... :p

Last edited:

CerveloRod

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Jet Black
Be careful with pure methanol as well, as it will burn with almost no visible flame. The blue flame is hard to see during the day. The heat would probably be your first evidence of fire. It does look really sweet in a firepit at night though.
Repeatedly inhaling methanol fumes can blind you, liquid is readily absorbed through your skin, and it is really nasty stuff. I bought a special respirator for when I brew bio-d. Handle it carefully..

Rod

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I run the Cooloingmist.com stage 1 diesel kit with there recommended injector size for our small motors. I run 60%meth and 40% washer fluid. its been almost two years no issues. its like nitrous. don't get crazy with it and the motor will be happy. mine comes on around 10psi of boost. with it on power increase is noticeable from the drivers seat.