Metalnerd rear brake tool

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
Hey fam!

I was wondering if anyone may have the Metalnerd rear brake compressor tool (or something similar) that they want to sell or get rid of. The time is coming for me to do my brakes and just thought I'd put a feeler out here first, instead of paying $50 for the tool.

I'm planning on buying the Fremax High Carbon rotors and Akebono pads and was also wondering if anyone has experience with these. Any feedback would be appreciated. More bite from my brakes and something that inspires a little more confidence would be a welcome change.

Thanks in advance!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Honestly, the kit was posted above, or this one:

Is half the price of your Metalnerd tool...I can vouch that they do the trick. I've re-build all 4 calipers on my Golf (including R&R'd the parking brake mechanism, all the seals, etc) and the kit worked perfect. Will work for just about any vehicle you may or may not have also...not sure your resistance to getting the kit?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I recently installed fremax rotors and akebono pads on my golf... Nice quiet brakes.
No extra bite as far as I can tell...
They are listed as oem replacements, so I would expect them to perform that way.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
I recently installed fremax rotors and akebono pads on my golf... Nice quiet brakes.
No extra bite as far as I can tell...
They are listed as oem replacements, so I would expect them to perform that way.
2nd that. Same setup has performed nicely on my 03 Beetle.

Also, I'm not familiar with the Metalnerd tool. You should be able to get a loaner tool from an O'Reilly or Autozone store if you have one nearby. It would be similar to the Amazon tool mentioned above.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Honestly, the kit was posted above, or this one:

Is half the price of your Metalnerd tool...I can vouch that they do the trick. I've re-build all 4 calipers on my Golf (including R&R'd the parking brake mechanism, all the seals, etc) and the kit worked perfect. Will work for just about any vehicle you may or may not have also...not sure your resistance to getting the kit?
Yep - probably not nearly the quality of the Metalnerd version, but something like this for <$20 should suffice for the typical DIYer.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a harbor freight disk tool set with the windback tool. It was $29.95 when I bought it and it has worked just fine

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
I think that the auto supply store tools are on loan. Pay a deposit and get a refund when you take it back. I've used this on several occasions when I needed a puller or something that I don't use too often.

I love tools and I have a bunch of them. Tools for wrenching, woodwork, drywall and painting, and so on....

The problem is that I'm not the best at keeping up with those tools that aren't used that much. I have found that its is easier to let someone else keep up with those for me. It just costs me a little time. Time that is usually spent looking for what I need. Less stress.

Fortunately, I do have those resources close by. I have also found that I don't do much business otherwise at those local stores any longer. Usually only in a pinch. That's unfortunate.