Metallic squeaking/grinding for inner CV joint?(video included)

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi , recently we started noticing a metallic sound mainly when the suspension is working on bumpers or potholes. When car was up today i was looking around and noticed the noise coming from the cv joint on the differential side or the differential itself?
Couldn't really tell which side it is coming from they both create the same sound when turned.
When car is on ground there doesn't seem to be any play when trying to turn the shaft .
What doe you guys think?
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtsyp8-pVE

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
oh thats nasty, Does this happen when you spin the other sides tire? if not, its the axle, if it does, its in the trans. Best to pull the axle off and rotate the other tire to make sure.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Rotated both tires and it sounds the same:(. So the transmission probably?:eek:
What can be done besides pulling off the gear box? Is it unavoidable?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dont get alhead of yourself yet
unbolt the axle, fairly simple, make sure you tap the alen slocket in the bolt with a hammer to make sure it seats fully. its very common to strip them out!
Once axles are unbolted, try spinning the hub by hand, if its the same, well bad news. If not, axles are not difficult to swap and or rebuild properly.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
They shouldn’t be Allen head bolts. Should be 8mm triple square aka xzn, although I have seen Allens used.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh yes, that dam tripple square. make sure you get a quality tool here, the harbor freight and new craftsman are a tiny bit too small and i have found that the old craftsman ones and kobalt are fantastic for this job. Be prepared to buy a few extra bolts

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No need to remove the axles, just jack both sides up and rotate one while the other has a screwdriver holding the rotor in place. The differential is open so both sides turn independently of one another.

But that sounds like it’s internal to the transmission, either gear gap or the cross pin is coming out. Both can be catastrophic.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Thanks for the Input. By catastrophic you mean to the transmission or possibly to the engine? So the transmission should be rebuild or there is some kind of on car cure or fix?
So I guess it has nothing to do with the squeaking I hear from the suspension?

Thanks

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I am not saying this is what it is, just that it needs to be investigated further and not assumed to be OK. I had to perform an emergency transmission swap a few weeks ago, luckily I had a spare transmission in the barn. The cross shaft came out of the ring & pinion and jammed against the case. Guess what lost. He said it had started making a slight rubbing noise but his car always made noises so he just figured it was normal for the old car.

This is what I mean by ‘catastrophic’:

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have to agree with Abacus, it doesn't sound to me like a CV problem. If it was I would expect to see changes in rotation of axle vs CV components, and I don't. Those pieces appear to be moving simultaneously which is normal.

The sound to me sounds like trans issue, or more precisely a differential issue. Exploding differentials is not all that uncommon. Here's an example just seen recently that rendered a very nice B4V VR6 car a JY parts car. Notice that this 'splosion is in the same place at that posted by Mark.

You can find other examples online in Vortex or posted on other VW forums

Steve

Last edited:

ytk

TDI
MK3
Ouch!!:eek:

Thanks for these photos. So the transmission should go off for closer inspection?
Will thicker oil/oil additive help extend the life of it?
Thanks