Metal vrs plastic water punp impeller

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I'd appreciate input on metal vrs plastic water pump impeller. The car is a 2011 JSW CJAA

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Every newer (Mk5 and newer) car I've done a timing belt job on that had OEM parts, has come with the resin impeller.

I'm thinking that way back when, there was an issue with them, but since then, the quality manufacturers have figured things out and they're as robust as any.

Now, of course, I'm in the single-digits sample size; I'd be curious what the opinion / experience of the "volume"-repairers like @oilhammer are.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I always use metal. I don't think the TDI's were ever as hard on the plastic ones as the gas cars were. It was definitely a common failure on the gas motors. I wouldn't hesitate to use a plastic one but given the choice I would go with the metal impeller.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I always use plastic/resin OEM ones. Why? Impellers very rarely fail and if they do you will overheat. But if an aftermarket pump bearing seized you snap a timing belt and that is BAD. Probably just paranoid but I trust the OEM bearing with plastic impeller than aftermarket.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
According to my VW dealer, VW used plastic impellers so when the water pump failed the catastrophic failure was the plastic impeller, not a broken timing belt from a steel impeller wedging into the housing.