Metal shavings where they shouldn’t be

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
While doing a oil change and snooping around I found some metal shaving in the intake pipe around the Evap trap:

I’m also getting a a weird screaming noise from 2000-2400RPM when the turbo should be spooling up under load. I need to check to see if all the piping coming into/out of the turbo aren’t broke but that wouldn’t explain the metal in the intake. If the turbo is failing would it send metal that far up? BTW my car is a 2002 with 240k miles on it completely stock. Thanks for any help

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Usually debris that far up the intake tract it means there's a leak in the air filter or associated tubing. Said leak could have gotten to the turbo and caused the screaming turbo. I'd quit driving it until you replace the turbo, as it blowing up could have more consequences.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I wonder if the metal shavings are from the turbo fins?

Maybe take the air tube off the turbo and look at the tips of the fins.

Check for play in there also.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
I wonder if the metal shavings are from the turbo fins?

Maybe take the air tube off the turbo and look at the tips of the fins.

Check for play in there also.

Here’s some pics of the turbo impeller. Only a slight amount of play front to back (of the front and back of the car). No play left and right of the car. A trusted TDI guru from here recommended to replace the turbo seeing the wear on the impeller. Damn! I didn’t really want to spend $1k on a new turbo and parts.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Foreign object damage. Likely from sand or something else that made it into the intake track past the air filter somehow.

I don't really see how that metal you see could be from the turbo though as it would need to be travelling upstream. More likely the metal got in there from some other source and is what is causing the damage on the turbo fins.

I had a turbo with the same type of damage and it also screamed at a certain RPM. Likely caused by the air whistling past the damage at high rpm on the impeller.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe pull the intercooler and check the oil in the bottom of it for glitter?

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Foreign object damage. Likely from sand or something else that made it into the intake track past the air filter somehow.

I don't really see how that metal you see could be from the turbo though as it would need to be travelling upstream. More likely the metal got in there from some other source and is what is causing the damage on the turbo fins.

I had a turbo with the same type of damage and it also screamed at a certain RPM. Likely caused by the air whistling past the damage at high rpm on the impeller.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sand could be highly likely as we spend a lot of time at the beach and the sand here gets in everything.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Used Turbo? I know you take your chances but it's probably a quarter of the cost, assuming you do the labour yourself

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Now the question of is it worth it to spend $1250 to replace the turbo etc or just buy a newer model diesel gate TDI.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Dealers choice. I'd fix, but that's because my wife has a NMS tdi, and I don't really care for it.

Declan023

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI VNT 17, crappy 0.210 nozzles, Malone stage 4 tune, manual swap, 3 Bar map
that doesn't look that bad. If its boosting, not making noise and doesn't have much play i'd say don't change it. Just a waste of money imo
Edit: didn't realize you said it was making noise nvm then. just make sure its the actual turbo first.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now the question of is it worth it to spend $1250 to replace the turbo etc or just buy a newer model diesel gate TDI.
That's what I did.
The 03 was great while I was using it but it was time for a newer toy. :D
The newer ones do have more power also.