Metal Oil Filter Canister?

moto7man

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Six Speed
I have a 2015 Jetta TDI and I hate the plastic oil filter canister, it just looks like an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone sell a metal canister to replacement the cheap plastic one?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I think I have seen them on ECS, but it’s been a few years since I was looking at those since I’ve changed to an older vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRA engines, all the inline 2.5L engines, and the belt driven DI turbo gas engines (BPY, BPG), do, too. The steaming pile of fail EA888 engines have constantly breaking plastic water pump housings, too, and the later EA888 engines added insult to injury by gracing the plastic water pump housing with electronic actuators.

So yeah, lots of plastic on engines that could be replaced with cast/machined aluminum to fix a LOT of issues as the cars age. And there is likely a market for anyone doing so.

So far, the only items I have seen improved this way are some engines' coolant flanges (mostly belt driven 1.8t stuff, like AWMs and AWPs), and the early EA888's water pump housing, and maybe a few thermostat housings on some engines. As far as I am concerned, they are ALL a liability. And would benefit from an improved replacement.

In this age of 3D printing and whatnot, to aid in the making of molds, since not all plastic bits can simply be remade in aluminum without some minimal design changes, I'd hope someone can do just this.

Because replacing a leaking/cracked oil filter/cooler housing on any of the above mentioned VAG engines is a big expensive job. And I've done quite a few of them over the years. Not [yet] on one of the 2015 TDIs, but the day is coming I'm sure.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
They only last about 1,000,000 miles upgrade something else like new hoses.