Metal in the oil

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
It looks like a piece of casting of some kind, but I have no clue as to what may have broken off.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
How big is that piece? Is it magnetic? Is that round area machined, or was it hit once and made that mark?

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
It was about 14mm diameter and 3mm thickness. Not magnetic. Yes, the round area inside looks machined

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
How is your oil pressure? The only internal parts that I can think of that are nonmagnetic are the head, pistons, oil filter housing, and oil pump. My guess is oil pump or filter housing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Looks like a piece of casting that was backing up a blind hole, then a longer than normal fastener threaded in and blew out the bottom of the blind hole. Any recent work?

Any symptoms with engine?

If engine is running fine, keep driving.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
How is your oil pressure? The only internal parts that I can think of that are nonmagnetic are the head, pistons, oil filter housing, and oil pump. My guess is oil pump or filter housing.
I don't know exactly the pressure, but I think it's ok since there are no warnings and engine's running quieter.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Looks like a piece of casting that was backing up a blind hole, then a longer than normal fastener threaded in and blew out the bottom of the blind hole. Any recent work?

Any symptoms with engine?

If engine is running fine, keep driving.
Nothing, no recent work.. i think that this engine was never opened.

But I have to confirm that with the previous owner.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Non-magnetic?? I thought you stated it was caught by the magnetic drain plug??
Sure looks like the bottom of a machined out stud/bolt hole.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK. I blew by this: "(caught) by the magnetic drain plug."

That means everything I guessed is wrong again. :D

So that means it could be something like a front or rear crank seal housing blind hole as Ski mentioned. It could be ALOT of things because I certainly agree with Ski that it was the back side of a blind hole that was pushed out by installing a bolt that was too long.

Are there any oil leaks?

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
The engine runs well, I guess. No excessive oil consumption(up to 0,5liters per 15.000km) , average 4.8 l/100km(~49 MPG),...

There are no visible oil leaks.
Yap, you think that it could be pushed by a wrong size bolt when timing belt was changed?

So, should I keep driving it?

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Dan, I doubt that this came from the followers. It's 3mm thick, the "backside" isn't smooth enough and a follower is more brittle.

I would want to know where it came from and would pull the pan and valve cover.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
casting part from motor mount on rear of motor? if it was a blind hole and your block is relatively dry a weep should develop eventually and you could find it and seal the threads of the bolt with some kind of gasket sealer? Thinking motor mount as they would get the most stress. when was you timing belt done last?

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
I don't know... my mechanic said that wasn't worth remove the oil pan to see exactly were it was.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Minor update:
Took out the oil pan to retrofit a oil level/temperature sensor and guess what, found another piece of metal like the one in the photo that is on the first post. So far I know my engine block has two holes... any guess where?
It's all dry, no visible oil around...