Metal in fuel filter

Slou92

TDI
2014 Jetta
I've researched this topic and I found mixed opinions. Most posts I've found are older and I'm wondering if there is more experience now.

2014 TDI, 40k fuel filter change. Just like at 20k, there was some metal flakes in the filter housing. They do stick to a magnet. I called the dealer at 20k to document and the service manager said that is normal and they usually stop finding them at the 60 or 80k filter change. I installed the 2micron kits at 30k and there was no contamination found under the metering valve.

There is less metal this time, but I've had the 2micron kit for the last 10k.

How concerned should I be that the HPFP has an impending failure? For those that work on these cars, is this normal? Is it possible that these flakes are from the lift pump or aux pump?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Metal is a sign of failure.

Save the metal chips, for documentation.

Also, the dealer will tell you anything, they have no idea how to evaluate metal fragments, they're just parts changers based on ECU codes... No codes, no problem.

You may want to get with somebody and do a pump output pressure check...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A pump output test will probably tell you nothing. IDK how you would even do one on a CR pump. I think that the CR pump's pressure/delivery would not change much until the pump is toast and by that time drivability would indicate there is a problem.

Metal chips are a sign of impending failure. It's just hard to say how soon the CR pump will crap it's self. The dealers recommendation might have some merit, because they probably have some experience with cars that have the CR pump and have seen some that have completely failed.

I do agree with DBW's assessment though, dealers are for the most part, parts changers that have no clue about how to actually diagnose a problem.

I'd say that if you keep seeing metal at each filter change, your pump is on it's way to complete failure.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
upsbroke: Are you being serious? If so, your post isn't very helpful.

My JSW is at 90k miles. I found very, very small amounts of bright, shiny flecks at 7k miles, was told (here!) that it was going to die soon. Rusty sediment removed from the FF canister at 30k miles.

Spotlessly clean FF changes every since, about every 15k miles between changes.

Running Optilube XPD every tank.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I also had a few very small aluminum looking shiny specks in the canister at 20k. Every time since then it's been spotless. At over 105k now. The size of the particles as well as amount seems to be more important than the mere presence.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
I change my fuel filter every time I do an oil change, and I have done three so far, and every time there has been a very small amount of metal sitting on top of the filter housing (probably about half a dozen flakes). If you don't look for it, you'll miss it, so I wonder how many people, or mechanics, change the filter and think there is no metal, but if they took the time to look closely and wipe the filter housing out with a rag once it's drained and have a close look at it they might see some metal.

IMHO it's normal while the engine is "young"....

Slou92

TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm not going to dump the car… I like it too much. Worse case scenario, I'm glad I got the 2micrin contain flow and pure flow adapter installed. If it does fail, I'll do the work myself. That said I really don't think it's HPFP related. If it were that pump I don't see how it could make metal shavings for that long and not have failed by now.

I'll let everyone know if this progresses. My plan is to change the fuel filter at the next oil change and see if there are any more flakes. I drive 40k per year, so it won't be too long.

ranger1

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Even with 2micron's filter kit installed, it may take some time to completely flush out the metal particles already in the tank and lines before you installed his kit.

You could always drop the tank, drain it, then clean it and the fuel lines thoroughly.

Then see what shows up in the fuel filter, with a 1 or 2 micron fuel return filter, you shouldn't see much at all.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Changed my filter for the 5th time about 3 weeks ago- 143,000 km on the od- saw a couple of flecks, I've seen a very small amount at every change- now that I drive this car I'm adding an additional lubricity additive with every fill up- will change out the filter early to see if there is any difference.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I used Opti-Lube XPD and XL for the life of my 2012 Passat and I had metal flakes at each filter change.

I do not view this as a fuel lubrication issue, I think it is a initial pump break in issue and the flakes take time to move through the system.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
ISurvivedNMU: "...and I had metal flakes at each filter change...". How many filter changes/miles are you talking about?