Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Right now, the only choices on MB USA's website is V6 and V6 + 4WD.

Really a shame, because the 4 cyl I think does an excellent job for most Sprinter needs as a light delivery or vocational vehicle. The tow rating is the same, the cargo capacity is actually more, it has a better transmission, costs less to purchase, uses less fuel, and looks to be a LOT easier to service should the need arise.

It is a fantastic base engine for the model, I think.
X2. And the Sprinter version is single turbo. The E250BT sedan and the GLK250BT SUV have bi-turbo, so what you said and more. I can zip around in the crack fueled, rocket tanked streets of LA with confidence.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
System Error Message

"Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative" message came a few times today.
It's all over MBworld.org with the stuff flying to the extent of "with power loss" and "and then MB repurchased my car." In my case no power loss, the dealer said there was no error codes and updated my software. He said there were other cases of the message that had both error codes and power loss that were handled according to their error codes. Very harrowing experience. No truly reassuring explanation and will have to see. I would have traded in on the spot if there was a 2018BT to trade for. At least I felt the dealer was trying to inform me the best he could. No charge for service. Nothing on NHTSA about a safety problem. Meanwhile I have to live with a notch less confidence in my ride. They also have a theory that radar sources temporarily "jam" the feature. I hope that's all it is. First blip in 32k.miles.

Some of the MBworld posts said they turned off and restarted the car to stop the problem at least temporarily. One poster said he disabled the collision feature with the command menus program on the steering wheel rocker switch, which only lasts until the car is shut off. I hope I never have to try any of that. I like having the feature, at least so far. Mercedes was the first to offer radar/auto braking which is now on many makes. The technology is so new I guess there still are bumps ahead.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Stuff like that I would rather not have. Not that at its root is a good, solid purpose, but to some extent it adds so much complexity that it WILL require attention, and in the period up until then, the driver may have become so poor at actually driving that they become dependent on the technology.

bobdfsh

Finally a hitch

I ordered Curt model 11001 hitch for my 2015 E250 bluetec diesel. I had our car at a dealership because of a check engine light. While there mechanic overheard my discussion with a parts employee and later the mechanic told me that he could put a hitch on the car. I was back in Missouri last week and I am pleased to report that the gas version does in fact fit the diesel. It took the mechanic 5 hours to install and the MB dealership charged $209.00 for the install. Curt recommends the use of a stabilizing strap with the hitch. I have not loaded my bikes on it yet but it seems very substantial.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope it works well. Keep us updated. I am still planning to try installing a hitch using a harness to avoid splicing (splicing is the routine hitch wiring method). If need be, I want the option of reversing the install before claiming warranty coverage. My recent maintenance experience about a system error involving my collision avoidance system for instance, was preambled by the dealer intake guy giving me a warning that my rear end collision repair may have voided my warranty coverage for any repairs needed (which didn't happen). I told him that A) there were no options on my car that had sensors for rear collision and were no parts of the collision avoidance system in the rear; B) That the error was all over MBworld for cars that had no rear end collision repairs. He covered the repair with my warranty, but if I had had spliced wires I may have had to at least fight an attempt to stick me with a mess.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I ordered Curt model 11001 hitch for my 2015 E250 bluetec diesel. I had our car at a dealership because of a check engine light. While there mechanic overheard my discussion with a parts employee and later the mechanic told me that he could put a hitch on the car. I was back in Missouri last week and I am pleased to report that the gas version does in fact fit the diesel. It took the mechanic 5 hours to install and the MB dealership charged $209.00 for the install. Curt recommends the use of a stabilizing strap with the hitch. I have not loaded my bikes on it yet but it seems very substantial.
So the MB dealer installed the hitch for you?
Did the dealer install your Curt hitch?
Were electrical connections also done?
Which dealer in MO did this for you?
TIA

Last edited:

bobdfsh

I bought the hitch from etrailer.com and took it to Mercedes Benz of Columbia Missouri who did the install for me. I didn’t want any electrical connections. Just a hitch for my bike rack

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Paddle Shifting

I've learned how to paddle shift with the car. When I exit the freeways, I exit at speed and hit the left paddle maybe 4 times. This doesn't rev the engine. A second later I tap the brake, and since I'm already at a lower gear I just have to tap the brake to engine brake too. Then I hit the left paddle another 2 or 3 times until the engine revs and press the brake. Caveat, engine braking occurs without illuminating the brake lights, so check your rear view first. By now I'm almost stopped but sometimes I hit the paddle again to stop. Notice I'm not considering what gear I'm in, I just eyeball my speed and listen to my revs. Never downshift on slippery roads, you need to stick to your brakes on them. Also, if I'm merging, I down shift 2 times or so, so when I hit the gas I get a second faster response. The car responds downshifting or not, but that second faster when I'm merging is needed sometimes since I almost never floor it. When I weave in freeway traffic, I also use sport mode.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Readers and E250BT/GLK250BT/SprinterBT owners

Thousands of readers have viewed this thread nearly fifty thousand times. It is about a great car, the car I dreamed of since I experienced my Jetta TDI ten years ago. There are also over ten owners here who have shared glowing reports on their cars. As we pass the fifty thousand view mark, I hope a few of the owners and readers who visit here tell us about their cars, and interest in this thread. I have enjoyed sharing my journey from my Jetta for these last two and a half years. I recall my feelings on that first post, I kind of dazedly said "Done is done". I can report today, as I have since, that it all worked out beautifully.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Downshifting downhill, Michelins

Another way I downshift is when my speed is too high on a down hill in order to avoid having to ride my brakes. I've been watching how fast I click the left lever, stopping at fourth so my engine revs hold at about 3.5k. That brakes me to about 75 on the extra steep spots, but doesn't risk a jerky stop on the freeway. I'm being extra cautious since I'm not sure the car would drop to third if I kept clicking down at that speed. Manual (paddle shifting) has built-in limits on what shifting is allowed, so presumably dropping to third would red-line and be disallowed. Again, never manual shift in the rain or snow, that's what the high-tech brakes are for.

I've got 35k on my Michelin MO Primacys. There is tread, but I think 40k on them will do. I've patched them about ten times (patch, don't plug). I had nails in the tread which showed as low tire pressure cels. I had leaks, not flats. My spare is sitting in my trunk still unused.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
new (10k mile) 2016 E250BT for sale $45K

call IA dealer: Tanner 515 250 1876

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
An owner, Ernst, emailed me and said the E250BT air filter was tricky to change. Any more on that Ernst?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Biomass Biodiesel

Holy melt down Batman! I pull into a Chevron station on the Antelope Freeway outside of LA for diesel. I go to the diesel pump. It looks like every other diesel pump. Only it has a tiny 3" sticker that says it's not B5, it's Biomass Biodiesel blend B6-20. So, in one second I could have completely destroyed my car. Any catastrophic meltdown from that would have cancelled my warranty at the same time. Thanks Chevron. Looking at what Mercedes says about it, Biomass blend is worse than Biodiesel Blend. Apparently avoid the orange sticker more since they sound confusingly alike.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf

No siphoning fuel, stem is blocked, or access underneath tank. Only fuel port is under back seat cushion which flips up.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Tires

I am considering new tires, General Altimax RT43. I'm wondering whether I have to get MO tires to work with my tire pressure sensors. Anyone know? The Generals are rated higher on Tire Rack but cost nearly half.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Holy melt down Batman! I pull into a Chevron station on the Antelope Freeway outside of LA for diesel. I go to the diesel pump. It looks like every other diesel pump. Only it has a tiny 3" sticker that says it's not B5, it's Biomass Biodiesel blend B6-20. So, in one second I could have completely destroyed my car. Any catastrophic meltdown from that would have cancelled my warranty at the same time. Thanks Chevron. Looking at what Mercedes says about it, Biomass blend is worse than Biodiesel Blend. Apparently avoid the orange sticker more since they sound confusingly alike.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/serviceandparts/biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf

No siphoning fuel, stem is blocked, or access underneath tank. Only fuel port is under back seat cushion which flips up.
Are the E250 BTs having HPFP issues like the TDI and some BMW diesels have been having?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Not that I know. The problems warned about in this fuel warning is that Biomass will be absorbed into the oil and dilute it (thereby overheating and seizing the engine?) It also talks about 100% Biodiesel coking the injectors and clogging the fuel lines and the emissions systems. But no mention of the fuel pump being effected. This is a new car model and I doubt if the median miles of the ten or so owners who have checked in on this discussion is more than 100k. Mine is 40k. My car's mileage has increased to 33 combined and no fuel pump issues. Unlike the Jettas, it is biturbo, and maybe that helps somehow. I don't even know how the HPFP is related to the turbocharger.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. So the e250BT is a common rail diesel with a HPFP. I didn't know for certain.

If you shop for these cars, there is maybe 20 used for sale with about 30k miles nationally. Which says to me few are selling these cars even after their leases are up. MB must have sold thousands of 2014-6 diesels and everybody is hanging on to them, not dumping them with bad HPFPs and major engine damage. Some of the 2014s at least have over a hundred thousand miles on them. No sign of HPFP issue I'd say.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
They barely sold (or leased) any new ones here. That is why there are so few. And of course for only three model years, 2014-15-16. Very rare car. I think MB has done so much of the on again/off again and spotty availability with diesels, plus the changing demographic in their buyers here, they've just lost that core repeated MB diesel buyer crowd.

My grandparents were that crowd, and I credit them for exposing me to the world of diesel powered passenger cars. Because without that, I may not have ever had any interest at all. I grew up with them. My earliest memory is of an old W110 diesel sedan, maybe a 1965, which gave way to a W115, then a couple W123s, a W124, and finally a W210. And across those chassis sold here, that was the peak of popularity here for them.

Now, I think most new MB buyers are concerned about how easily they can overwhelm the traction control system while spinning giant expensive tires and slathering "AMG" all over everything. Very different demographic than my dorky eccentric grandparents driving their dorky eccentric car while their dorky eccentric grandson ooed and ahhed all over it. I could care less about some new E63 with its ridiculous 600+ hp engine. :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet Mercedes sold fewer than 10,000 of these cars in North America. Perhaps fewer than 5,000. However, I agree that HPFP failure is probably not an issue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In my opinion Mercedes has lost its way in North America, even more so than BMW. The new cars look flashy and cheap to me. I sat in a C-Class not too long ago and the amount of plastic "chrome" was overwhelming. VW and Audi interiors are far better. Exterior styling? Forget about it.

In the 5 years or so I've owned it my '93 Taxi has evolved from an old diesel Mercedes to an oddity. But it still drives great. Interesting that they could make a mid-sized sedan that comfortably seats four that would happily run at 80 MPH with only 119 HP on tap. People don't appreciate that kind of engineering achievement any more. They just add power.

Styling aside, I would have welcomed an E-Class with the new OM654 diesel. But I guess that's not gonna happen.

oilhammer

TDI
Well not all is lost. They managed to make a 10 passenger van that cruises easily at 80 that only has 160hp. :D

And not much of any chrome, either. ;)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is a keeper. If I ever get a 2 car garage, I'm hunting down a GLK250 BT, great little SUV. MB had a magnificent achievement with these until the lawyers took over from the visionaries. The cachet of clean diesel was all theirs. That inspired gasser sales too. If you look at where luxury prices are paid, MB has trended down, with luxury pick ups (diesels) trending up. Some day the drivers will take the wheel again at MB.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I read that BMWs HPFP is the same brand as the TDI... and a few folks with 328D and 535D were having issues.. mostly after moisture got into the system.

I guess its really important to buy diesel from busy places where the fuel doesn't sit around for extended periods.

I wouldn't doubt if MB used a totally different brand HPFP.. not finding any posts with failures on the BT's

I almost picked up a A7 TDI last week at a dealer... when I returned to sign papers it seems like someone backed into the rear bumper of it and caused some damage. Changed my mind about it.

I'm between a E250 and 535D.. found 2 535D's that i really like and the straight 6 engine is a major plus for me. Plus those cars tuned are monsters. Decisions decisions..

Peach State TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Have been in the same dilemma for few months and found some low miles 535D's in the south and almost got it but walked away in the last minute driving my wife crazy. Drove a E250 and just did not like the interior. We ended up with a second CDI when we found one at 40K. Have got it tuned by Andrew (JR tune) and the turbo lag is completely gone and it is around 250ish and getting 28/33 mpg. No complains for now!

oilhammer

TDI
I read that BMWs HPFP is the same brand as the TDI... and a few folks with 328D and 535D were having issues.. mostly after moisture got into the system.

I guess its really important to buy diesel from busy places where the fuel doesn't sit around for extended periods.

I wouldn't doubt if MB used a totally different brand HPFP.. not finding any posts with failures on the BT's

I almost picked up a A7 TDI last week at a dealer... when I returned to sign papers it seems like someone backed into the rear bumper of it and caused some damage. Changed my mind about it.

I'm between a E250 and 535D.. found 2 535D's that i really like and the straight 6 engine is a major plus for me. Plus those cars tuned are monsters. Decisions decisions..

The pumps are all Bosch. Doesn't matter, though, as some have a higher than expected failure rate some do not. Just like Valeo makes HVAC cases for both VAG and ChryCo stuff, but they do not behave the same, because they are not made to the same design specs.

I have replaced a couple MB HPFPs for leakage, both older higher mileage 2.7L Sprinters, and one for outright failure, on a 3.0L V6 Sprinter with over 400k miles on the clock. And given that Sprinter is owned by a fleet that is hard on them (they often go 25k+ miles without ever getting the hood opened), I would not be a bit surprised if some crappy fuel and/or gasoline got put in the tank at some point.

Big difference is, at least on those engines, is that the Bosch HPFP they use is a cast iron case. The Bosch HPFP that VAG uses is an aluminum case. Also, VAG may run a higher rail pressure too (no idea, just saying that could also stress a pump more).

In the case of the OM651 engine, as the E250 and my Sprinter employ, I have no idea whose pump it is or what it is made of. It is buried under the intake on the back side of the engine, so you really cannot even see it, driven by a helical gear drive at the rear of the engine. Hopefully I never will get to see it.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Have been in the same dilemma for few months and found some low miles 535D's in the south and almost got it but walked away in the last minute driving my wife crazy. Drove a E250 and just did not like the interior. We ended up with a second CDI when we found one at 40K. Have got it tuned by Andrew (JR tune) and the turbo lag is completely gone and it is around 250ish and getting 28/33 mpg. No complains for now!

LOL.. you're echoing my wifes words... " I wish you would just get something and stop talking about cars everyday" . Part of me is going to miss the hunt... I might be picking up a 535D this weekend.

I'd honestly consider another low mileage CDI but in the past year we moved to a property with a pretty steep 350' driveway.. I wasn't able to make it up in the E320 CDI once right after a light snowfall.. so I definitely need to switch to an AWD car.