Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
I got dumped by a shower of concrete pebbles from a concrete truck passing a construction site with my roof open. I gave them the car to clean and am sitting in a bar. One more beer and this will seem like good idea. To be precise, it was blasted out of the exhaust of a concrete mixer, so a glarp of diesel pollution, probably toxic concentrates.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
They cleaned the car and I'm sitting at home with concrete burning my scalp. I hope there's no concrete dust in the engine or whatever and that it's all over. I watched the car location on the Mercedes app. For now the problem is over.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not missing a manual trans using paddles and a seven speed auto with bi-turbo performance. Still, sometimes I need to shift as I would with a manual, down shifting, winding out gears, and paddles get the job done nicely if I listen to the engine and have a clear job to do such as cutting onto a speeding freeway. I get lost paddling when I try to use it all the time, I lose the feedback from the engine and throttle response and don't know what gear to use. But no worries, the sport mode is fine for most freeway driving, and emode for surface streets. I am ten weeks into a new car I'm just beginning to get used to. No hurries, and it's good even as is.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Bi-turbo is how car flies from 0 in emode, which is the economy, low revving, low horsepower, auto tran mode. So torque is there right from 0. Bi-turbo, one smaller turbo for 0-30, another larger in sequence for 30+. Smode is high revving, high horsepower for maximum acceleration on the freeways. Paddles push the revving to the line for extreme high speed merges or precise downshifting on sharp turns. Use the paddles and the trans goes to Mmode, manual, it only shifts paddled or auto shifts if it redlines too long or high or something or times out back to S or E mode.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This will overheat your brakes and annoys the heck out of everyone behind as your brake lights stay on 100% of the time.
Not possible. The Merc has fuel cut off when on brakes.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Used 2015 E250 BT

I was thinking of test driving a 2012 or 13 E350 Bluetech with 4matic which gets only about 35 mpgs, I know yours gets at least 40mpgs because it's a 4 cylinder.
The E250 is reasonably priced for a Benz but I'm only able to consider a certified Benz, new is too much.
I'm even considering an S550 in its 2nd or 3rd year which can be bought used in the $30k range, not bad for a Merc limo like ride. I like the savings in going for used Benz's especially if they're dealer maintained and come with warranty extension plans that cover a lot.
Drivers get them at that price because chances are they will make it to a long life and the S550 class is very nice for $30,000.
A quick search reveals the 2015 is starting to be available used:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2015-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-E250-BlueTEC-t56165#listing=124965026

I spoke to Calabasas Mercedes. They said 2015s won't be off lease until 2017 so I guess used ones will be scarce before then. And has to be built after Jan 2014 (2015) to be IIHS top crash test scores.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in a hurry and sped to make a light but had to brake. I was doing 50? in Emode, I just started paddling while listening to the engine, I didn't hear any roar until I was braking but somehow it worked as a perfect engine break. I felt like I was just tapping the paddle and didn't know what gear I was on. I think the auto trans overrides the paddle if it is too stressed and so acts as buffer. In this case at least, the paddles worked well. I will attempt to verify this action in the manual.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I could take a miss on $833/month for 60 months. I own all my diesels. :D
That's what they're asking for at 3.3%. It already dropped by eight thousand and has been listed on Car Gurus for forty-five days. I think they'd take forty at 2.9% at this point, more like $700/month for 60 months. They just started being available used. They won't really be available used until they come off lease in two two years. They'll be half that then, the 2017 new MRA platform with the 9 speed auto will be out. They'll come down to earth for sure. For now, the way I figure it is if I'm going to pay a loan might as well get what I want.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Two months with an E250 Bluetec

I'm starting to learn how to use the auto trans and it works well. I paddle down to engine brake into an exit or downshift into a turn until the engine revs or I slow and brake, or I up shift when the engine revs to speed quick, then hold the right paddle down to go back to Emode. I still sense hesitation when I paddle shift, and slightly from zero, but the bi turbo makes it less of an issue. I'm driving more confidently using the car's handling and performance. I went from a compact front wheel drive to a full size rear wheel drive. That took some adjusting, my turn radius is bigger, and my wheels are closer to the front of the car, ie, to curbs, so I scraped up my wheels a few times. I lowered my seat again, use one bead mat, sit up straight and I think a little closer to the wheel, and have a good two inches of head room (I'm tall.) A+ all around.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in a hurry and sped to make a light but had to brake. I was doing 50? in Emode, I just started paddling while listening to the engine, I didn't hear any roar until I was braking but somehow it worked as a perfect engine break. I felt like I was just tapping the paddle and didn't know what gear I was on. I think the auto trans overrides the paddle if it is too stressed and so acts as buffer. In this case at least, the paddles worked well. I will attempt to verify this action in the manual.
This how I paddle all the time now. I since read something like the auto trans overrides the paddling if the engine is too stressed in the manual. I paddle in those times where I'd be using my manual trans. Otherwise I just leave it in Emode. I go by engine sounds and inertia feeling. I don't know what gear i'm in or look at the dash.

KZN

TDI
2011 Golf
I feel sorry for anyone that has to work on that POS. That little I-4 is as big as a V6 with all the garbage attached to it.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, engine is excellent. And it may seem big, but it's small and in a big frame, so I think easy to fix. It's a new engine, have you worked on it? If by garbage attached you mean emissions reducers, etc. I'm glad it tries not to make kids suffocate on smog. It has all the power and mpgs I want without chipping which is one reason it's excellent. As for calling a Mercedes what you did, you couldn't be more wrong. If you'can back up what you said, I'd like to hear it.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Enjoy removing the ECM just to change the air filter.
It's a new engine. You really know this new engine? You work on it? Heard someone say? Some day I may want to complain about expensive upkeep on average after 200,000 miles. We'll see. For now, I prepaid 100,000 miles maintenance from the dealer for about what I paid for the Jetta maintenance. I've got years to just enjoy a really clean, responsive reliable engine. And scheduled repairs are for a lot more than an air filter, so removing the ECM doesn't seem bad. So you think changing the air filter is too hard, that's why you think it's a bad engine?

Last edited:

cevans

TDI
I haven't worked on it yet but I was impressed with the engine size in the bay of the E250. Sure is better than the 3.0L!!! Even the 3.0L isn't too bad since MB, unlike VW, seems to try to service the vehicle after they build it to make sure that you can *actually* service it!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine Breaking

Do not engine brake on slippery roads, that's when you need your full brake technologies (Anti-Lock Brake, Traction Control, etc.) to do the job, not your engine. I like to engine brake on dry asphalt because I want to take some of the wear off my brakes. In the E250, there's two factors when paddling down the engine to brake, one is that there's a lag, the trans doesn't have the instant response of a manual, and second, the auto trans will over ride your paddling if it thinks you will overtax the engine. So here's how I engine brake, I hit the paddle about twice and wait to hear the the engine roar or feel inertia, that I'm pulled forward against the seat belt. If I don't get that, I paddle twice more and wait until I feel and hear it, then I hit my brake. This usually is coming off a freeway to a slow or stop. I don't paddle shift all the time, I use it for special little jobs like a freeway exit or twisty turn or high speed merge. Otherwise I ride in Emode, auto shifting, which works great from zero because the E250 is dual turbo, so it flies from zero, perfect for Southern Cal traffic. Smode I've only used once, heavy but high speed freeway traffic while I was in a hurry, when I wanted to do some highway weaving at speed, note, also not a paddling situation, although one can paddle from Smode or Emode.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to brake fast due to a car in front suddenly stopped. It took me a second to react, during which the assist beeping went off and the seat belt tightened (before I braked), and then the car may have done some of the breaking with me, I'm not sure, it would have if I was going to hit the guy in front. Also I've been peeking at my tachometer when I engine brake. I can see the engine taching up as I steadily paddle down. There's no roar until I practically red line.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know a defensive driving course that will teach me how to drive and turn fast? I have the car for it, just want to know how to do it just because I can.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I began this thread 4 months ago. In that time over 6000 have viewed it. Are any of you E250 Bluetec owners? Please tell us about your experiences. Anyone work on the car or know an owner? I have tried to write about my journey from a Jetta TDI to the rear wheel, auto trans, Bi-turbo E250, and about what I discovered driving it. Have you found that informative? The 2015s will start coming off lease in a year or less and I hope that brings more owners to this discussion. Meanwhile, I'm feeling rewarded by my new wheels and will probably be saying that here at least until the 2017s come out and I trade them in.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The Radar Safety Features

The high tech safety was re-assorted into new driver assistant packages for 2016. In 2015, it came standard as Attention Assist, Collision Prevention Assist Plus, Pre-safe, Adaptive Brake, Brake Assist. I know Collision Prevention beeps if I'm getting too close to the car ahead, it's beeped a few times, and it may have braked automatically harder when I braked. Braking either is adaptive assist, so it can add to my brake force by"pressing harder on the pedal than I am" or can autonomously brake when I'm not. Brake assist kicks in if I hit the brake fast to multiply baking when trying to stop fast. Also Pre-safe, tensions my belt, closes my windows and roof, also it beeps and brakes for pedestrians ahead. Attention assist beeps if I'm dozing off on a long trip. The features seem highly advanced, I don't think another car is close yet. I didn't get Pre-safe Plus which brakes down for rear end collisions. I'm considering trading in for a 2016 to get all the safety packages, but waiting for the 2017 is probably best.

Last edited:

cevans

TDI
Attention assist beeps if I'm dozing off on a long trip. The features seem highly advanced, I don't think another car is close yet. I didn't get Pre-safe Plus which brakes down for rear end collisions. I'm considering trading in for a 2016 to get all the safety packages, but waiting for the 2017 is probably best.
Has the attention assist worked for you yet? I remember some review (Top Gear maybe?) trying to get it to go off by letting the car drift all over the highway and they couldn't get it to work. It was quite funny!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Attention Assist

The "dozing off" beeper is a computer which is looking at your speed and steering etc. to compute a "normal" during a long trip. In other words you have to be on the road say at least a half hour driving steadily to establish a pattern. Then if you nod out the computer will beep and flash. I haven't tried to set it off yet no.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks weird and bloated

If I look at the car's front or back it has a grotesque frown. From the side, it is passable, but sort of clueless. Sure it's big and that gives it an excuse, but looks aren't really acceptable on this car. The grill tries too hard. This car is about inner beauty, sitting inside and riding it. The looks don't bother me, I like the looks because I like the car, I just don't look at it, I just like seeing the big white blob and the few little angles on my way inside. And 2017 seems to be the full just-like-every-other-car look with the grotesque invading the cabin.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Stopped by the dealer. I can trade in for a 2016 with all the safety gizmos. Problem is I added up how much it will cost me. There's the increased monthly, the down payment, and what ever I spent on my 2015. A 2016 (with the options I want) would be 10k more than my 2015 (which I bought at the end of the model year). Still, after learning what those safety features do I'm tempted. I'll just have to start nagging the dealer to come down. If the car hasn't sold in a few months maybe he'll deal. I don't think these guys are selling diesel cars like hotcakes. It makes more sense though to wait it out and at least have the 2017 (out in a year or less?) to compare to.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, haven't checked MPG yet. Give me about 2 weeks to go through a tank and I'll let you know. The sticker said 28/42 and 33 combined. At a minimum, I think a tank will go 600 miles, that would be 80% city 20% highway where I am, lots of sitting in traffic too. I reset the trip when I filled up. After about a 1/2 tank and 350 miles I'm at at a car calculated average speed of 19.6 MPH and 28.3 MPG.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2016s have Driving Assist, Parking Assist and Lane Keeping Assist package options. I'd like to get all three with the Lighting Package. The 2015 have a smaller form of Driving Assist with the radar braking included in the Premium Package. There is only one car in the US with all three safety packages (but not Lighting). It is too late to special order a 2016. I have to wait for the 2017s, in maybe a year until the Bluetec, to get them all. 2017 will have the new unibody and look and a 9 speed auto anyway, probably the way to go. In a year, I'll have another year of payments on the 2015, so the upside down is less, since I don't think the car value will flop down like it did when I drove it out of the showroom. Other factors would be the price of 2017s going up somehow or interest rates. The 2015 is superb. I may never trade it in.

Last edited:

DubvBenz

TDI
E320 Bluetec
I feel like I'm watching someone have a schizophrenic episode reading this thread.

A couple of things:

- It can be fun to use the "manual" shifting to downshift, but be aware that the 7G-Tronic transmission will already do much of the downshifting for you and is pretty intuitive.

- Electronic nannies (like ABS, Traction Control) don't disable themselves when you take your foot off the brake...

- Watch the prices of the W212 plummet in the next few months as the W213 is released. People will be dumping their 2015 leases well before they're up. All you VW diesel-heads that want to get out of your car, you'll be able to pick up an E250 well below 30K by the end of the year.

- Dump the runflats, use the saved money to up your AAA. The ride, handling and costs will be better. I have used my spare exactly once in 16 years of driving.

- Look into tuning boxes, they'll likely release a fair amount of power.

Signed, a 6 year E320 Bluetec owner.

Last edited:

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I have found the same thing with the standard 7G (722.9) transmission. On the W211 with the 5 speed auto (722.6) manual downshifting is a good thing and works well. On the ML, manual downshifting does not produce the same results and I have resorted to coasting and light braking to get the downshifts. The 7G performs well without my additional prodding. I recently did complete fluid changes on both transmissions so I should have a good baseline to work with.