Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Safe car the Benz. The best or nothing, love that commercial. E350 with 4MATIC is awesome.
I don't think the e350 has a diesel option. The e250 has a diesel 4matic but I would almost never need it where I live and it is bad for handling so not worth having for me.

I think it's safe. But safe is not taking my eyes off the road.
I'm still learning the voice commands for my radio, phone etc, and to use feeling for buttons with my hands when I can. The car has good visibility, and I put convex mirrors on my sideviews for blindspots. The automatic breaking is part of the option package. I noticed the feds are making it required for all new cars.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I was thinking of test driving a 2012 or 13 E350 Bluetech with 4matic which gets only about 35 mpgs, I know yours gets at least 40mpgs because it's a 4 cylinder.
The E250 is reasonably priced for a Benz but I'm only able to consider a certified Benz, new is too much.

I'm even considering an S550 in its 2nd or 3rd year which can be bought used in the $30k range, not bad for a Merc limo like ride. I like the savings in going for used Benz's especially if they're dealer maintained and come with warranty extension plans that cover a lot.

Drivers get them at that price because chances are they will make it to a long life and the S550 class is very nice for $30,000.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking of test driving a 2012 or 13 E350 Bluetech with 4matic which gets only about 35 mpgs, I know yours gets at least 40mpgs because it's a 4 cylinder.
The E250 is reasonably priced for a Benz but I'm only able to consider a certified Benz, new is too much.
I'm even considering an S550 in its 2nd or 3rd year which can be bought used in the $30k range, not bad for a Merc limo like ride. I like the savings in going for used Benz's especially if they're dealer maintained and come with warranty extension plans that cover a lot.
Drivers get them at that price because chances are they will make it to a long life and the S550 class is very nice for $30,000.
Don't know about other MB models. I wouldn't get the 2013 E350, it may have handling/safety/reliability issues. I'd stick with used E250 2015 or 16. The new MRA platform E250 is out in 2017 and you'll be able to get a 2015 used if not now. They've been out a year, there must be some for sale used out there by now. I never tried to find one. I may trade my 2015 in for a 2017 if it seems worth it then due to better car, reasonable deal, etc.They have a new 9 speed auto.

Last edited:

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Congratulations on your new ride. I love the idea of the 4 cylinder in the E class, but there's not enough headroom clearance for me with the sunroof. And I don't think those cars had the sunroof delete option. I currently have my eye on a 2013 S350 for my next car. I want a larger back seat but my mechanic said they're really expensive to repair. So I'm holding onto my E CDI for a while longer.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
Remember people. There's a reason why large german sedans plummet in value after 4 yrs.

It's called maintenance

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Congratulations on your new ride. I love the idea of the 4 cylinder in the E class, but there's not enough headroom clearance for me with the sunroof. And I don't think those cars had the sunroof delete option. I currently have my eye on a 2013 S350 for my next car. I want a larger back seat but my mechanic said they're really expensive to repair. So I'm holding onto my E CDI for a while longer.
Headroom feels good to me. I'm tall but I set the seat low for leg comfort not headroom.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel lid got stuck. Maybe I had the cap miss screwed. The lid opened when I drove it. Have to line up the cap better.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm anxious to hear if my MB cheated on the emissions testing too. Should know soon. Dieselgate sure makes clean diesel sound like a hoax.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the Primacys finally. My dealer sent me to a shop that gave me a good deal on them and bought back my OE runflats. I haven't strapped down the spare yet, it seems to be quiet back there for now. The jack is tiny but it works well, it fits into a dock under the side. Now I'm ready for the road. I drove outside town about 50 miles on a freeway. Yowsa.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mercedes is denying emissions fraud. VW was caught lying about it's NOX by running it's NOX trap during testing but not on the road. There's some news from the European "EPA" (or some credible private company is it?) that MB is over it's rated NOX on the road. EPA is testing the E250 Bluetec now. Other European press/rumored MB discrepancies don't sound true. One says MB has higher CO2 than rated. That sounds wrong since CO2 is inherently low in all diesels. Another says MB mileage is lower than rated. Also sounds wrong, most find mpg better than claimed. The press rumor about BMW NOX was retracted by the paper. Not one credible word about any other cheater but VW, just lots of rumors about the zoo of diesel brands in Europe. My confusion about VW is that it seemed to include the urea system cars, which made me doubt the basis for clean diesel. My expectation is that it doesn't include the VW urea cars. If so, then I have to wonder still about the reality of clean diesel technology. Given that MB isn't using a defeater, I think the scandal applies to VW non-urea cars only. The bigger scandal is why the EPA failed to test accurately all these years.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The Guardian English newspaper reports that Mercedes Bluetec (not the E250 specifically) has twice or more the rated NOX on the road. This is attributed to bad testing more than MB cheating. One source said some cars weren't higher on the road (E250 I hope). The paper sniped that cars were built to fool tests as opposed to saying they cheated. Sounds more like they're realizing their testing isn't too good at finding NOX. This at any rate is opinion at best, since cars were most likely built to minimize NOX under the most conditions possible, not built to minimize NOX on a test stand. There's no proof either way. It does seem that clean diesel isn't so clean. Laws of thermodynamics and no magic scrubber in sight even for 2017. Good news is NOX isn't a greenhouse gas, it's a smogger, so outside the cities maybe it's not so bad. Diesel is still 30% lower CO2.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
EPA is specifically re-testing the Mercedes E250 Bluetec. Yah. Now we will know the truth.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks SnowCub.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice car, systems are complicated and then some. The MB club was worth the money when I owned MB's. Tech sessions were great and discounts paid off. met some nice folks too.
Thanks for the advice White Passat.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Well, I hope my 2011 E350 Bluetec meets the required nox numbers. I love the car, the v6 diesel torque is awesome and the car is solid. I call it my mack truck. I don't love run flat tires, that is the only downside.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
They are zeroed in on VW. I don't think this is about not smoging other cars on the road, yet. Is your 2011 reliable? I switched my runflats for Primacys (see above).

Last edited:

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
They are zeroed in on VW. I don't think this is about not smoging other cars on the road, yet. Is your 2011 reliable? I switched my runflats for Primacys (see above).
The bluetec has been very reliable but like any machine, not without mechanical needs. I now have about 51000 miles on her. I have been through a few oxygen sensors up aND downstream, a Def injector leak and they replaced three engine mounts as I was getting a trany clunk at low speed when backing off the accelerator. Thankfully, all covered under warranty. Glad I purchased the extended warranty plan.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The bluetec has been very reliable but like any machine, not without mechanical needs. I now have about 51000 miles on her. I have been through a few oxygen sensors up aND downstream, a Def injector leak and they replaced three engine mounts as I was getting a trany clunk at low speed when backing off the accelerator. Thankfully, all covered under warranty. Glad I purchased the extended warranty plan.
Is there a CEL for the "oxygen sensor"? I guess that's part of the SCR (NOX) system? Or a CEL for "Def injector leak"? I guess I may have those problems too. What happened to the car when it had those problems?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mercedes E250 Bluetec Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tYgykD4R0

Car is an urban traffic hover board that roars down a freeway and doesn't skid on turns. Below 60 it's fast enough to deal with traffic but not to win Nascar. It's big and nimble (see video). It has 4 cylinders and gets 40 mpgs. It even has radar guided braking making it IIHS "Plus" scored. I think this car is in a class by itself. 2016s may sell loaded for high 40s by next summer and I highly recommend it at that price. My one complaint is the OE run flats, not acceptable, try to get the dealer to throw in the cost of replacement, which with OE Michelin tires, spare and jack comes to well over a thousand, and then a full sized spare takes up half the trunk. The new generation may not be out for two years or more. It'll have a 9 speed auto and a better unibody. I may not trade in for that. I discovered 4 cylinder diesel with my 2006 Jetta and wanted to catch up with safety, bi-turbo, handling and technology. For once, I got it right.

One other complaint: the Nav. My few attempts to use it so far were frustrating. I will need to read the manual and report again. This from someone who never used a Nav. If I have to take my eyes off the road I won't be using it. As far as radio, I was able to figure out some of the voice commands and feel the buttons and can use the radio and phone without taking my eyes off the road.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Regardless of year, Mercedes diesels seem to eat engine mounts for whatever reason.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Regardless of year, Mercedes diesels seem to eat engine mounts for whatever reason.
I'm hoping 4 cylinders are easier on the mounts, and most everything else. Also, do you know if CELs would have indicated his "oxygen sensors up aND downstream, Def injector leak" issues or whether they would have limp mode or whatever? What are those?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I use S mode and paddles on freeways so I can engine break on turns and exits. Gotta listen for the roar. On surface streets I stay in E mode with Eco (start/stop). Have to be in S mode to use paddles. Paddling switches to M mode and back to S mode automatically. Left paddles down, right paddles up. I like to use both feet, one for brake and one for throttle, scooching to the middle so both feet are behind the pedals and my arm rests on the console. Say my radio channels, FM, AM, satellite. Never; repeat never take eyes off road. Car has beeped when colliding ahead. It would brake if it needed to, I don't think it ever braked using the Collision Avoidance radar yet.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
USA Today says EPA found no emissions defeaters in cars besides VW. Mercedes has denied it all along. EPA testing may still turn out to miscount real world emissions on all diesel cars.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Took long night rush hour freeway drive. I need to make changes. I had stuck large convex mirrors in the center of my sideviews, will change to small convex at car side. Also, I am moving my seat up. Too bad I didn't get lane change radar assist or whatever they call it, wouldn't hurt. I bought the car the dealer had, and had very little idea of the new auto driving systems. I guess I still don't really. Remind me to try reading the manual again. I know it beeps at me sometimes, because I'm getting too close to the car ahead? Probably.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought small rectangular wedge shaped concave blindspot mirrors at Autozone and stuck them on the bottom inner sideview corner with the fat side in. Works good. I raised my seat until I have an inch to the roof, have to see better over the back doors. I got two bead mats and a cushion to fill in and flatten the seat which I prefer for longer sitting. I'm back with my old two foot cabby driving style, faster flicking the brake for stop and go, and this car goes with the lightest touch so have to adjust to bi-turbo performance.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I had some extra mirrors and stuck them on the hood of the dash above the speedo. They show a wide angle out the rear at a glance. I set the door lock to chirp with the left key pad on steering wheel. The 360 camera would have been good for parking mostly I can roll down the windows if I unlock with the door handle pulled. I have to find that in the digital manual under the globe on the console. There may be more secrets I haven't found yet.

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I bought small rectangular wedge shaped concave blindspot mirrors at Autozone and stuck them on the bottom inner sideview corner with the fat side in.
I prefer the round ones as they show the position of the rear wheels within a parking space. Makes parking 100x easier.

I'm back with my old two foot cabby driving style, faster flicking the brake for stop and go
Just make sure you aren't resting your foot on the brake pedal. This will overheat your brakes and annoys the heck out of everyone behind as your brake lights stay on 100% of the time.

Also, if you can't afford the 0.2s reaction time to swap gas-brake with your right foot, you're likely following the car ahead way way too closely. Watch as the car ahead passes a stationary landmark (mile marker, lamp post, or painted line). You should be at least 2 sec behind in town, 3 sec behind on the highway, and 4 sec behind on an on-ramp. You'll find your fuel mileage also improves dramatically, not to mention your stress level.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I prefer the round ones as they show the position of the rear wheels within a parking space. Makes parking 100x easier.
Just make sure you aren't resting your foot on the brake pedal. This will overheat your brakes and annoys the heck out of everyone behind as your brake lights stay on 100% of the time.
Also, if you can't afford the 0.2s reaction time to swap gas-brake with your right foot, you're likely following the car ahead way way too closely. Watch as the car ahead passes a stationary landmark (mile marker, lamp post, or painted line). You should be at least 2 sec behind in town, 3 sec behind on the highway, and 4 sec behind on an on-ramp. You'll find your fuel mileage also improves dramatically, not to mention your stress level.
I had large round mirrors stuck in the center of my sideviews for a while, but they were confusing at night. I'm clearing the center of my mirror and keeping the blind spot reflections low and hopefully distinct. I'll check into the parking aspect though so thanks for the advice. I don't ride the brake but I'll consider what you said. This car is a lot quicker from 0 than my previous car. I move my foot off the gas or brake when I'm not using them. I don't tailgate. I started doing two foot style for heavy stop and go traffic in NYC as a cab driver of 8 cyl early 70's Detroiters. My car reminds me of the cabs and I'm even going to drive it that way. Sometimes I get in heavy stop and go here. Not like NYC. But here there is pedestrians and bicyclers who think they can just flat out walk or ride anywhere/anytime in the roads and amble across. And I'm still adjusting to Bi-turbo torque that flies when I touch the pedal.

Last edited: