Mercedes Benz G320 CDI

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I saw one this AM on the morning commute. Are these available to the public or what, just regular CT plates on it, I'm not in the know with Mercedes Benz information that well.

Really nice looking SUV, is it 7 passenger?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This year the G and R class are available with the new 3.0L CDI V6, same as the E class and Jeep GC.

Your local MB dealer might have one in stock. Not sure if they are 50 or 45 state legal, however.

oilhammer

TDI
I'm not sure how much the current GL fits into the "truck" catagory, but they are pretty nice, yes. I left MB right as we were getting these in, albeit with gas engines.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
oilhammer said:
I'm not sure how much the current GL fits into the "truck" catagory, but they are pretty nice, yes. I left MB right as we were getting these in, albeit with gas engines.
Referring to "left" was it a dealership or MBUSI? And the CDIs aren't available in all 50 states, says so in the fine print.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
I LOVE the R-class, especially the SWB versions that go to Europe, I wouldn't mind having one of them at all. you guys have also not made mention of the ML 320 CDI either... :D

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
I would choose the R-class diesel as my favorite, why can't these have been out for several years already and be available second hand for a decent amount less? 50K is just too much to spend; at least from where I stand, on a means of transportation but what a fine piece it is!

oilhammer

TDI
I personally think they are fugly, along with most all the other "half-breed" cars out there. But the R does drive pretty nice and has some nice features.

For some reason I cannot remember but I think all North American R classes get the 4Matic standard, no 2wd ones available here.

Deenice21

TDI
2006.5 5SPEED
the M an R are really cheap(price) imo. my mom has a pilot but she is jonesing the R (she had a caravan since 96 and when it got wrecked i forced her to get the pilot). but yeah if you can find a 1-2 year old car with under 25k miles you should be able to pick it up at a great price. Look at the E320cdi. 1-2 yearolds can be had for 38-39 allday.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Gl320 Cdi

Our GL320 CDI runs REALLY GREAT on the highway:D. I've had some transmission shifting issues (upshift on command is not as consistent as I would like) but the 7 speed is VERY SMOOTH normally. Overall acceleration of the vehicle is nowhere near as good as my 2000 Golf TDI but I expected that. Handling is very stable on the freeway and when cornering.

The "truck" is definitely NOT legal to sell new in the 5 CARB states but after 7500 mi used vehicles can be licensed (at least in California).

Was it worth the money;)?? Yes considering that it is the ONLY large SUV offering a diesel in the US AND the diesel option is about $2500 LESS than the gasser V8:D (similarly equipped) and has the same torque and only a little less hp:D

The ML320 CDI is smaller (less passengers) and has been around a little longer (since 2005).

The GL320 CDI can be hard to find. Most fly out of the dealerships as soon as they come in. 2008 production starts in about a month if you want to order one (except CA, NY, Mass., etc)

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
jollyGreenGiant said:
Really nice looking SUV, is it 7 passenger?
Wait a second... Did you see a G 320 CDI or a GL 320 CDI? Because both exist, and are completely different animals.

oilhammer

TDI
CoriolisSTORM said:
/\ True, a GL is 7 passenger, and the G is not. GLs have been around only as the '07 model year so far, Gs have been around well, forever.
Yeah, I guess I shoulda clarified as well. The old G class, or "G-Wagen" as they are typically referred to at MB, is the ancient design from the '60s that has been grossly gussied up over the years and is now in the US just a status symbol like all the US-spec Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, and Hummers. The G-wagen is what has been traditionally modified for use as the "Popemobile".

The GL is a new vehicle that is sorta like a second generation M class with a severe weight problem. More carlike in many ways, where the G is most certainly all truck and underneath it shows.

The ultimate would be a stripped down military type version of the G wagen with the diesel and a manual transmission, tall skinny tires, no chrome, and vinyl seats with the floorboards that are diamond plate! :D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
< G-wagen

^ GL-wagen

MSRP$53,175*
Engine3.0L 24-valve V-6 diesel engine
Net power215 hp @ 3,800 rpm
Net torque398 lb-ft @ 1,400 - 2,800 rpm :)

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features/specs/overview.do?modelCode=GL320CDI&class=07_GL

GL320 Bluetec Vision: efficient combustion

The turbodiesel engine in the GL320 Bluetec can run with optimal efficiency and without compromise, in contrast to some other emission systems. Unlike the three-way catalytic converter introduced in the 1970s on gasoline cars which required the mixture to be richer than optimal lean engine operation in order to reduce nitrogen oxides with excess hydrocarbons, the Bluetec system in the GL320 Bluetec Vision can reduce emissions and also reduce consumption since the engine itself can be run with optimal efficiency. MBUSA previously announced the GL320 Bluetec, ML320 Bluetec and R320 Bluetec launch for the 2008 calender year, about a year from now.
ML-wagen >

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, It was a GL320 that I saw, but correct me if I'm wrong, it was badged as G320 and not the GL320. I've always loved the original G series...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jollyGreenGiant said:
...correct me if I'm wrong, it was badged as G320 and not the GL320.

Dunno, I've never seen one .... I'm stuck in a diesel-deficient CARB hell :(

However, our neighbors have the GL450 and I'm pretty certain it does say "GL450" on the backside.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
We looked seriously at the R and GL diesels but found them to be too expensive and not having enough room. The R has a nice ride and easy entry into the second row with a wide door and lower ground clearance.

We will keep our 163 until a diesel Suburban comes out in 2010 or so.

TM

oilhammer

TDI
The GL is labeled so, and the G is just a G.

The AMG versions only use 2 digits to denote engine, instead of 3.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GL320 Bluetec Vision: efficient combustion

The turbodiesel engine in the GL320 Bluetec can run with optimal efficiency and without compromise, in contrast to some other emission systems. Unlike the three-way catalytic converter introduced in the 1970s on gasoline cars which required the mixture to be richer than optimal lean engine operation in order to reduce nitrogen oxides with excess hydrocarbons, the Bluetec system in the GL320 Bluetec Vision can reduce emissions and also reduce consumption since the engine itself can be run with optimal efficiency. MBUSA previously announced the GL320 Bluetec, ML320 Bluetec and R320 Bluetec launch for the 2008 calender year, about a year from now.
  • MY2007 CDI 45 state
  • MY2008 CDI 42 state
  • MY2009 Bluetec 50 state

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
Tin Man said:
We looked seriously at the R and GL diesels but found them to be too expensive and not having enough room. The R has a nice ride and easy entry into the second row with a wide door and lower ground clearance.

We will keep our 163 until a diesel Suburban comes out in 2010 or so.

TM
Must be an MB geek if you refer to your ML by the body style. Maybe I should change my sig and put in 115 instead of 240D! :)

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
samspock said:
Must be an MB geek if you refer to your ML by the body style. Maybe I should change my sig and put in 115 instead of 240D! :)
Well, it differentiates between the 163 and 164 so that we that are in the know, know the difference. I personally like the 251. What's the designation for the GL?

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
CoriolisSTORM said:
Well, it differentiates between the 163 and 164 so that we that are in the know, know the difference. I personally like the 251. What's the designation for the GL?
I believe the GL320 is a W164 chassis with an OM 642 :Dengine/7spd transmission. Don't know the engine designator for the 450:(. The same OM642 engine is used in the Sprint[er] but with a different transmission I think. Now you Know those that Know now.;)

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fourdiesel said:
The same OM642 engine is used in the Sprint but with a different transmission I think. Now you Know those that Know now.;)
V6 diesel in a Spint(er) :confused: I had always been lead to believe it was a CRD I-5 :eek: ..with a 5 spd auto.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
dieseldorf said:
V6 diesel in a Spint(er) :confused: I had always been lead to believe it was a CRD I-5 :eek: ..with a 5 spd auto.
24 valve V6 OMD642, both types of vehicles. We should ask lildevildee what her transmission is.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's cool. I hadn't heard they were upgrading the engine. The I-5 was certainly a practical setup for such a vehicle.