Mechatronic Replaced - Radical difference in shifting pattern

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When I changed the DSG filter after I got the car back, I found a few bolts loose, including the battery hold down clamp. That's why I did it myself, so I could check the dealer work.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
no filter

The trans filter is not changed in the campaign. I changed it myself when I got the car back.
I just asked the service department, the fluid is changed, but not the filter. At least I am due for the fluid change, so I get a free one this round!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just asked the service department, the fluid is changed, but not the filter. At least I am due for the fluid change, so I get a free one this round!
Yep, you get 5 1/2 liters of trans fluid, I've seen the bulletin. You're better off doing the filter yorself, so you can see if the dealer screwed anything up.

kennyeicher

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I've had my 2010 Golf TDI into the dealer a few times for stalling & lurching when starting from a stop. They've replaced a few filters (EGR, etc.) but it's never really solved the problems. I just got the call from them saying that they have now concluded I need a new Mechatronic Unit to solve the problems. Of course no MUs can be found in the northeast, so I get to wait on one, but I'm really hoping I get the resultes that you described after the MY gets installed. Thank God for the warranty.
Picked up the car this morning after getting the MU replaced. So far, so good!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Plus 3, was there any change in your fuel economy with the new mec. unit? Also, I'm a bit confused about this issue -- are all '09s being recalled or just some. My DSG has performed flawlessly from day one and I don't really want them playing around with it.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
jbright, no effect on mpg that I notice but like I said I do use manual mode more to get into 5th and 6th sooner (points 2 and 3 in the first post). But, with the new shift points there is absolutely no feeling of "lugging" the engine as the DSG will stay in 4th and 5th gear longer when accelerating. The effect on fuel economy will likely only ocurr if one is continually cruizing between about 35 and 45 mph as the DSG will likely remain in a lower gear than prior to replacement.

Actually, I would do it just for the gear indication in the MFD display in normal mode. Also, I like the way the car takes off from stop now. You can fell the clutch slip and there is absolutely no harsh grabbing like before (see point 6 in the first post).

Here's a link to the VW letter. I don't recall seeing any VINs associated with MY 2009s. So, I assume all 2009s may be affected. You can get on VWs website and enter your VIN and see if the recall shows up. It was listed for me but I don't recall if it was there before I got the letter or not.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The potentially bad MUs were installed up to 12/15/08. The information was in the bulletin.

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
The potentially bad MUs were installed up to 12/15/08. The information was in the bulletin.
Of course my build date says "12/2008"

How the hell do I know if it was before or after 12/15/08. My VIN didn't pop up any recall on the VW website, and I don't know for certain that I notice any of the signs, but ***! Will I be eligible to have it replaced or not?

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Of course my build date says "12/2008"

How the hell do I know if it was before or after 12/15/08. My VIN didn't pop up any recall on the VW website, and I don't know for certain that I notice any of the signs, but ***! Will I be eligible to have it replaced or not?
Did I miss the link to the exact bullitin? Can anyone point me that way?

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Best I could find

Did I miss the link to the exact bullitin? Can anyone point me that way?
The company will also extend the transmission warranty of all vehicles involved to 10-years, 100,000 miles. The extended warranty will also be transferable.

If your vehicle has DSG issues the company says you can either contact your dealer, or that “Customers who have questions or concerns should call the Volkswagen Loyalty Center at 1-800-444-8982.”

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Does anyone have VIN ranges that are affected? I'd like to know if my car is eligible... This caught my attention fast! There are some 2010 owners here reporting their units are being replaced...? How is it possible that a 2010 was manufactured in 2008?

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well, looks like I'm not affected based on that VIN range. Also, my build date is 09/09. It would be nice to at least get a software update to raise the shift points!

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I didn't read through the entire thread, but this sounds like the same issue we had with our '07 B6 Passat wagon and others have had with older Jettas. The cars used to lag starting out and this was always attributed to the "turbo". Then, years later, we got a recall notice and had some parts replaced that totally removed the hesitation and the cars shifts much more smoothly now.

It would be nice if they "discovered" a similar cause for the TDI manual hesitation. I realize people think they know what causes it, but...

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
sport mode

Well, looks like I'm not affected based on that VIN range. Also, my build date is 09/09. It would be nice to at least get a software update to raise the shift points!
You could drive around in sport mode, it has the effect you are looking for, although the shift points might not be what you want for everyday use.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Nope. There's no happy medium. I tend to just put it into manual mode when I don't want the engine to lug and the DSG to shift so early. I can only assume/hope the engineers designed it to protect itself appropriately.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It is a nuisance

Nope. There's no happy medium. I tend to just put it into manual mode when I don't want the engine to lug and the DSG to shift so early. I can only assume/hope the engineers designed it to protect itself appropriately.
I'll have to give Manual Mode a try to see how that feels in rush hour, heading to DC on Friday. Fortunately the unit is being replaced in about 2 weeks.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Yes, 93K problem free miles, and NO additives of any kind.

Wes
which brands do you fill with?
i only use CHEVRON or 76/Connoco Phillips
i've had a gift card to SHELL for almost a year now but i dont want to fill up there :D

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Well, John (Stump) at VW South Charlotte encouraged me to get my car to him and he would take care of my DSG issues. He set up my appoinment yesterday. I drove up to Charlotte (about an hour) and got there about 8:30 am. Within 30 minutes he came back and told me "that's not normal". He said they'd prolly have it fixed by the end of the day, but put me in a loner with a half tank of gas just in case. I drove back home and around 12:30 he called to say VW had authorized the replacement of the mech. and that if I left now they'd have it all ready by the time I got back up there. I left shortly after and got there around 3 and it was finished and washed up. Drives great. Better than the first day off the lot as well as I can remember. No more lurchy downshifts coming to a stop, smooth shifts with no thunks, immediate engagement upon letting off the brake, etc.

John, you and the guys at South Charlotte are animals! DSG mechtronic replacement in 5 hours!

Last edited:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Interesting results

Here's what I've noticed in the last few days that has changed. I would assume what I am now experiencing is likely the "standard" that is already installed on more recently delivered Jetta's with DSG.

1. The digital display now indicates the gear that is currently being used.
2. The shifts are slower and much "softer" than before.
3. The RPM's for each shift are higher than before.
4. The car won't shift into fith until 35 mph, and sixth at 45 mph.
5. The car used to stay in second gear unless I came to a complete stop. It now would shift to first even with slow rolling stops.
6. Upon starting from a complete stop, there is a slight slippage (very slight) whereas before it was grab and go.
7. Upon starting from a complete stop, if you remove your foot from the brake, but NOT apply throttle, it used to grab and roll. Now it grabs and released, grabs and releases, and usually on the third nudge, it will grab and lock in.

Overall the tranny is now generally smoother than before. I question if the higher rpm's will have a negative impact on mileage. Prior to this reprogramming, the car would shift into 6th gear around 35 mph. Now, unless you manually shift, it won't even consider it until 45 mph, and quickly shifts back into 5th once you drop below 45 and apply any throttle whatsoever.

Is this what most of you find to be consistent with your DSG???

Wes
I just had my Mechatronic Unit replaced today, and my results seemed a bit different. I've only driven about 50 miles on it so far, but this is my initial impression:

1. Same.
2. Quicker shifts, feels softer.
3. RPM are lower than before when shifting.
4. 5th at 30, 6th at 40 with gentle acceleration.
5. Kept in 2nd until less than 5 MPH. Downshifts were a lot smoother than before.
6&7. Opposite feeling.

Overall, I agree that it feels smoother when shifting. Before, it almost felt like a newbie driving a manual (especially when starting out from a stop), and now it feels as if it has mastered the technique.

The biggest improvement I've noticed is that it takes off with no stuttering as it occasionally did before.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
I just had my Mechatronic Unit replaced today, and my results seemed a bit different. I've only driven about 50 miles on it so far, but this is my initial impression:

1. Same.
2. Quicker shifts, feels softer.
3. RPM are lower than before when shifting.
4. 5th at 30, 6th at 40 with gentle acceleration.
5. Kept in 2nd until less than 5 MPH. Downshifts were a lot smoother than before.
6&7. Opposite feeling.

Overall, I agree that it feels smoother when shifting. Before, it almost felt like a newbie driving a manual (especially when starting out from a stop), and now it feels as if it has mastered the technique.

The biggest improvement I've noticed is that it takes off with no stuttering as it occasionally did before.
Well you are describing how my old unit shifted. So, when did your old unit upshift to 5th and 6th? Are you sure the rpms with the new unit are lower than with the old unit before when shifting (point 3) ? If that's true, it implies that your old unit upshifted to 5th and 6th at even lower mph than 30 and 40 mph. That would be hard to believe as the engine will be lugging significantly.

So for points 6 & 7 you get a more harsh and abrupt shifts (grab and go) as opposed to a gradual engaging of the clutches? The grab and go is the way mine use to shift where on hard acceleration the car would hesitate a fraction of a second and then grab and go. Now on hard acceleration you can feel the clutches slipping immediately on acceleration with no hesitation (the old unit would hesistate for a fraction of a second before the car would take off) and then the clutch fully engages in that same fraction of a second that it took the old unit to "grab and go". There is no "grab and go", hesitation feeling with the new software.

Actually, I prefer the shifting to 6th at 40 mph with gentle acceleration but I do prefer the clutch slipping on go as it gives a more confident feeling when taking off especially when turning across traffic. As I said before now when my speed is say 40-44 mph (and I drive a lot where the speed limit is 35, 40 and 45 mph), I must manually shift to 6th. Otherwise, the DSG will stay in 5th unless I hit 45 mph.

I wonder what others' up shift patterns are in 5th and 6th gear with the new unit and whether the clutches slip on go.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Overall impression with the new unit is better, need rush hour to test...

"Well you are describing how my old unit shifted. So, when did your old unit upshift to 5th and 6th? Are you sure the rpms with the new unit are lower than with the old unit before when shifting (point 3) ? If that's true, it implies that your old unit upshifted to 5th and 6th at even lower mph than 30 and 40 mph. That would be hard to believe as the engine will be lugging significantly."
For the most part, I have been driving with gentle acceleration so far.

Previously, it would shift into 5th around 40, and 6th around 50 at a slightly higher RPM. Now, it is able to shift at about 10 MPH slower (and a few RPM lower) for each gear. Tonight it shifted into 6th at around 1300-1400. Doesn't seem to be any lugging at all though, which doesn't make sense to me either. Sometimes, the lowest speed I've seen in 6th is around 35.

Tomorrow I'll have to experiment with some heavier acceleration to see how it reacts.

"So for points 6 & 7 you get a more harsh and abrupt shifts (grab and go) as opposed to a gradual engaging of the clutches?"

It isn't harsh, actually it is quite smooth. Previously, it would react as if the clutch was released very slowly. It grabs quicker now, but in a good way. Before, it seemed to take its sweet time, and every now and again on a hill it would drift back quite a bit. There were times I'd have to keep my foot on the brake, and give it some gas (well, diesel I suppose) and then release the brake to avoid drifting back too far. Odd to drift so much in an automatic... Now it seems to grab quicker with less/no drift.