Mechanics (pro and shadetree): What's your favorite non-standard/specialty tool?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Dads craftsman set from the 60’s are amazingly slim yet very strong.

I love those little pocket flat-head screwdrivers with a magnet on the top, would be lost without mine.
The old craftsman's were great all their new stuff isn't that great sadly. At least for screw drivers and ratchets. The best part about it is if one breaks I walk into the local fleetfarm and they give me a brand new one because of the lifetime warranty. I've been slowly switching to Menards masterforce as they have the same gig, and its better quality imo. The masterforce power equipment is about as good as my dewalt stuff I'd say (decently close at least). We used masterforce drills and impacts daily for steel roofing and they were great. They switched drill designs and we had a couple issues with those specific ones (mainly with how the bit clamping mech works, they would just clamp wierd after lots of use...only happened on a couple), but Id hope they changed or fixed that issue by now. It was with the super long drill version they have, they still worked just not as smoothly. The stubby ones we never had an issue with. Still would recommend their stuff for a good alternative.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
I'd have to say my PowerProbe is among the most useful tools that not everyone has. I also have sets of stubby (like 10-12mm tall) hex, Torx and triple square bits that get used frequently, allowing fasteners to be removed that would otherwise require taking a lot more parts off first. They can all be turned with a ratchet handle or a box end, that allows for crazy tight clearances, like some of the bolts on the turbos on Ford v6's in F150's, or half of the fasteners in the engine compartment of most V6 Sprinters.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sawzall. Bought it for the house, but I use it working on cars much more frequently (northeast rust).

Irwin bolt-outs. Again, rust.

Tire hanger that threads into a lug bolt hole. Makes reinstalling wheels so much easier, and much cheaper than a stud conversion kit.

Second floor jack.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Tire hanger that threads into a lug bolt hole. Makes reinstalling wheels so much easier, and much cheaper than a stud conversion kit.
Oh yeah - I forgot about those. 👍
Being a cheap SOB, I found that the subframe bolts have the same M14x1.5 thread, so chopped the head off a couple of old ones, grinding wheel'd off the threads on the upper part, then dremel'd a slot in the top for screwdriver - boom.