Mechanics (pro and shadetree): What's your favorite non-standard/specialty tool?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I spent years working on my cars and not wanting to spend a few bucks on specialty tools. For example, hose clamp pliers. $10 made such a difference after years of messing with hose clamps using regular pliers. Or a $2 pick set at Harbor Freight. Or impact rated hex set.

So my question...those who do a lot of wrenching: What is one tool you remember is worth the cost every time you use it? What's that tool you wish you'd bought earlier?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mac Tools cotter pin remover, SP29B... a million uses for this, I use mine every day. I even have a spare, in case I break it, it is that critical.

AST small spring clamp plier, SCP2014... works great for the little spring clamps VAG uses for fuel hoses and coolant vent hoses.

Snap-On long reach ball-ended Allen bits, 5mm and 6mm are the most commonly used sizes.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Remote hose clamp pliers with the cable.
Long reach needle nose pliers, straight, 45 and 90.
Spring grabby claw thingy, 6 little finger claws come out of a hole about 1/2" in diameter. (No idea the technical term, bought 3 of them at a flea market and love them)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I second JDSwan87 on those tools plus I’d add one of those telescoping small magnets.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Small hands that my family tree gave me.
I really feel for people with big hands trying to wrench on these things...unless it's suspension related, then I wish I had the biggest hands and arms, and core, and legs 😁

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Small hands that my family tree gave me.
I really feel for people with big hands trying to wrench on these things...
The struggle is real. I've called my wife to help me before.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
The struggle is real. I've called my wife to help me before.

Lol I’ve done that too. Couldn’t get my hand behind the engine on my Silverado crew cab….had wife laying across the engine ….of course I’ve got several photos of this which she isn’t happy about ….but she did what my large mitts couldn’t.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm a professional mechanic and my favorite non specialty tools are my Milwaukee m12 stubby impact wrench, my SilverEagle 3/8" socket set, snap-on flex-head ratchets, and Blue-point allen/torx/e-torx bit set.
Those and a power-probe 2.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
I love flex head ratchets, my dads old SK one also flairs up at the end, love it.

I’ll add 3/8 ball sockets, I rarely use universal joints. Age (Patience) and a 2nd car. I hated those days when I only had 1 and had to get it running that night.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Water filled 150lb everlast punching bag, indispensable tool

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
My best buy has to be when I bought a spring compressor that can be wound up with an impact gun and only has one threaded bar. I used a pair of those cheap spring compressors for 25 years and figured I don't replace springs that often so the cheap ones are just fine. I was wrong.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Band-Aids - I cannot seem to do the smallest job without getting a cut or scrape drawing blood.
I did swap out the winter tires for summer tires yesterday on my other car, without drawing blood and only using a few cuss words :)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I'll second the telescoping magnet, real lifesaver especially when wrenching under the hood of modern snowmobiles

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My best buy has to be when I bought a spring compressor that can be wound up with an impact gun and only has one threaded bar. I used a pair of those cheap spring compressors for 25 years and figured I don't replace springs that often so the cheap ones are just fine. I was wrong.
👍
This. TOTALLY this.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the cheap end of things:
  • Ball/pivoting head ratchet (like $12 at HF when I bought it).
  • Bunch of wobble-end socket extensions (<$10 at HF)
  • 12-point sockets - makes getting the socket onto the nut/bolt head in tight spaces much easier (only a few degrees of rotation vs. 30° with 6pt.)
  • late addition: reading glasses (if you're under 45 and laughing....you'll see (no pun intended) the value of this at some point in the future.
On the higher end:
  • The 5-100ft.lb. Snap-on electronic torque wrench. I slapped myself at the stupid price (like $400, plus another $150 to get it serviced) when I bought it, but I use it on pretty much every job and appreciate it every time.
  • Milwaukee M12/M18 line
    • M18 ½" impact - with the HO M18 battery, that thing just laughs at those 30mm nuts on the drive axles
    • M18 compact ⅜" impact - gets in tight places and zips things off quickly
    • M12 ⅜" compact ratchet - not as much torque and speed as the big boy, but can get into much tighter spaces with the compact, low-profile head

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
@Nuje you are convincing me to spend money on battery impacts, those specifically.

I have been boycotting them since I have air tools and I keep telling myself batteries wear out, go bad, fail without warning and I’m not a mechanic for a living. So I keep dragging around air hoses:rolleyes:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - once you go to battery tools, you just laugh at the previous "you" for sticking with air for so long. ;)

I know it's not the most economical way to go, but I'd avoid getting the "kits" - just because the batteries are low-end (low capacity, but also low power delivery) and the tools are typically "meh". Like, there's at least 2-3 different ¼" impact drivers - one that comes with the kits, one mid-tier, and then the one you want (three different speed / impact power settings). And the better batteries are better in every way....and unfortunately, mega-pricey (like $200 for a M18 8Ahr High Output).
My "red" tools have been through a lot, and even when a part does wear out (brushes went on my first "kit" impact; ratchet head on the ⅜" compact ratchet), Milwaukee has exploded parts diagrams (with part numbers) and availability on the rebuild parts to get it working properly again. I'm at least four years into the new ratchet head on that ⅜", having owned it now for well over a decade.

Aforementioned ratchet (part number plate long since gone): Looks to be same/similar as current 2557-20

Big ½" impact ("1100ft.lbs. nut-busting torque"): 2763-20

¼" impact driver: 2853-20

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol true that on the reading glasses…..I’ve got them stashed all over the house…

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
@Nuje you are convincing me to spend money on battery impacts, those specifically.

I have been boycotting them since I have air tools and I keep telling myself batteries wear out, go bad, fail without warning and I’m not a mechanic for a living. So I keep dragging around air hoses:rolleyes:
I work at a truck shop and almost solely use battery tools, though I did get an air impact the other day in a trade. I have several Milwaukee ones and like them better than snap-on or the other more expensive ones I have tried.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Oh - another one for the cheapie list: A 2" mirror on telescoping wand.
And LED headlamp. Beats the hell out of holding a flashlight in your mouth.
A LED headlamp, now thats a good idea…i went the more expensive route and had kids

The Milwaukee tools are awesome, now that i have them i cant imagine doing jobs without them. I got a 4 1/2 inch grinder for Christmas and while i dont really use it much on vehicle repairs, i use it all the time around the farm. Very handy tool

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The biggest issue with the Milwaukee stuff is that once you have the batteries and chargers and are inured to the price point, you start picking up tools because "well, I mean, I can envision having a use for that".
See the angle grinder mentioned above.
And then me - an hour ago, I arranged to buy a right-angle ¼" impact (2667-20). 🤦‍♂️

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)

They are a life changer! I did it for years the old school way growing up and just a little over a year ago got a dewalt impact and drill. Changed my life and fixes are so much faster. Really makes you appreciate how good we have it with these fancy things.
(I still drag the air hose for lug nuts and stuff as I only have the small impact. Keeps ya humble 😄)

Btw. My brother got the same dewalt set as me. His batteries stay outside year round no matter the MN temp (including winter) and he has yet to have one fail. He's had this set for 6yrs. Biggest thing is don't drain the battery and let it sit around. Charge it back up. Other brands can be great too. Milwaukee is great but the price cuts deep. To fancy for my pockets.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
Ill go with that, and time is money. I can do jobs now so much faster especially with the 1/2 inch impact, it’s amazing the power it has. I also bought a Milwaukee grease gun (the Lincoln ones are junk IMO) greasing equipment is no longer a job that gets easily put off because i don’t feel like squeezing a grease gun for a afternoon. So that’s probably saved a few bearings etc because they’re easily always greased. Alot of my batteries live outside or in a non heated shop year round also and ive never had a problem as well. It’s pretty amazing how far batteries have come

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to turn this thread into a Milwaukee tool’s discussion

Back on track
I think just buying quality hand tools in general (whatever your flavor might be) with a warranty is a good investment. Can’t count how many times ive had tools fixed or replaced by snap on for nothing. If you can afford it, I think your money ahead buying quality tools once instead of cheap junk over and over

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an old 18v dewalt impact driver. One battery is shot, but maybe I left it discharged too many times. I do use the heck out of it. I left it in a stud bay one day and dad tried cutting through it and a beam at the same time with a Milwaukee sawzall. I saw his frustration and went to the other side and started yelling. It has 1/2” deep scar now.

I can see myself going off the deep end, so I’m abstaining......for now.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
Dads craftsman set from the 60’s are amazingly slim yet very strong.

I love those little pocket flat-head screwdrivers with a magnet on the top, would be lost without mine.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
The biggest issue with the Milwaukee stuff is that once you have the batteries and chargers and are inured to the price point, you start picking up tools because "well, I mean, I can envision having a use for that".
See the angle grinder mentioned above.
And then me - an hour ago, I arranged to buy a right-angle ¼" impact (2667-20). 🤦‍♂️
Then you start buying their Packout system and it gets worse and worse...