Mechanic/Advice Certification Program for TDIclub?

Where was the failure?

• Do not care>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Qualified designation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I've been looking lately at a microscopy certification that the MSA has and it gave me the idea... we could have 'certified' members.

The certification process should be a two step process, first a long written exam, followed within a certain time point a practical exam.

The exam could be broken down pretty easily into A3/B4, A4, B5, A4PD...

have people able to certify in each class or all of them if htey wanted to do all the exams.

The written and practical exam could be administered by a moderator or a 'program' directors aroudn the Club member areas. IE one for MidWest, Ontario, New England, MidAtlantic, Cali... basicailly everywhere that we have a really strong group of members.

It could help sort out who's who when advice is being given online. The goal though is to test experience and situational knowledge. troubleshooting questions and the like.

A practical could be given later to finalized the rating. One specific think i thinkwould be a timing belt change (on your own or volunteer vehicle) that is supervised and critically graded by a impartial party - preferably one of the people giving the written exams.

I sort of see a group of people like Drivbiwire, Wingnut, GoFaster, MoGolf at least as a the oversight board who will write the written questions, and possibly be certified to administer the exams.

Its just an idea... any thoughts?

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
For those who wish to be "institutionalized" I think it is a great idea.
I do not mean that in any negative way...other web sites have their restrictions.

Anyone else out there have a thought?

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
... we could have 'certified' members ....first a long written exam, followed within a certain time point a practical exam... just an idea... any thoughts?
Maybe the few great guys (some of whom you mentioned) would be happy to do this because other members look up to them, but for the rest I'm afraid you have not answered the 'what's in it for me' question. I'm willing to type out a few sentences to help out, but if I've gotta take an exam and get certified, I would like to get paid for it. OTOH you could talk to Fred about voluntarily profiling one's qualifications... then a reader could look at the experience of the writer and make his/her own judgment. Kinda like the "me" page on eBay, where you get to read about the person with whom you might be doing business..... just my 2 cents worth of input

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i'm not saying insitutionalize... but for newbies how do you distinguish advice from Herm among the rest of the 'noise'

while all the advice is helpful maybe having something in the profile would be cool.

the test is kinda like a personal goal - if you don't care about it - don't do it. i think there are a lot of people who might enjoy going through it, and there are lots of people out there like lrpavlo, JETahh, Live4sp (at least in the michigan area) that may or may not do it just cause...

but then maybe its not a good idea - if you've got doubts please express them, express them clearly and support the objections (it makes for a better dialog
). And i'm more than willing to take the questioning of the idea...

heck its just an idea... may not even be a good idea...

Here's the other thing... if you ARE doing work for people, and taking MONEY for doing the work - having this is a good "sales" tool... that and it can provide self-confidence for those who might only be working on their own car.

its definately not for those who take maintenance lightly - or have anyone else work on their own car...

its more towards the Car54, Herm, MoGolf, wingnut, DBW, deafbug, runonbeer, GregL kinds of folks who DO work on other people's cars. Sure you can dig up all the testimonial support you want but how about if it was a little asterix below "veteran" saying "TDI CLUB Certified Mechanic"

feed back please... questions always help clarify the position/idea... bring em on...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mechanic/Advice Certification Program for TDiClub?

I think it would be hard to administer. OTOH, I've always liked the idea of creating a master list of knowledgeable TDIers around the country that like to perform routine maintenance and are compensated for doing so. These are people actively and regularly seeking repair jobs....not a forum member that helps somebody swap brake rotors/pads at a GTG.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Re: Mechanic/Advice Certification Program for TDiC

I agree with a master list of the previously mentioned people who do the major repairs regularly. having a test would be something I would like to go thru just for fun. for my own knowlege.