Measuring Blocks 051

mrg_jetta_tdi

TDI
CJAA Sportwagen MKVI
Hello, looking to find current torsion value for my timing belt or the angle between the cam/crank on a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I have only found in VCDS a value of 0.0° KW on the 4th block in row 051 titled “Idle stabilization” I punched the throttle a few times and noticed that value moved -0.5° and quickly returned back to a solid 0.0° KW. My car has 91k miles on it and am curious if the belt is ready to be changed but correct me if I’m missing something but this test seems to be telling me there isn’t any belt stretching here.. is this correct? Thanks..

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Some say, that you should also worry about age (aka time) and not just milage
Some say, that there's no way you have a CBEA in that vehicle (should be CJAA)
Some say, do the TB just to be safe, especially if you plan on keeping it long.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That particular Measurin Block is used more for verifying/setting engine timing. Not really for diagnosis of component condition. Sounds like it's working fine, advances with throttle. Many of us will change the timing belt and appurtenances a bit early. I don't give a lot of credence to the 6 year limit, the materials used are quit good,but I'm no mechanic.

mrg_jetta_tdi

TDI
CJAA Sportwagen MKVI
@TurboABA, yes you are correct I currently have a 2.0 CJAA I was thinking of the older version I had. Yes I also agree with the replacement of the TB and as well as all of the normally changed components and I’ll be doing it soon, I was more concerned with knowing if that 0.0° KW parameter was correct in being the TDI equivalent of a chain “Camshaft adaptation” value? Thank you.. btw I’m looking for a quality aftermarket timing belt kit? Any suggestions? Or would it be best to only use VAG OEM parts? And I do plan on keeping this since it’s been through Dieselgate with its mods and I just like how it runs and handles with the DSG

mrg_jetta_tdi

TDI
CJAA Sportwagen MKVI
@TurboABA, yes you are correct I currently have a 2.0 CJAA I was thinking of the older version I had. Yes I also agree with the replacement of the TB and as well as all of the normally changed components and I’ll be doing it soon, I was more concerned with knowing if that 0.0° KW parameter was correct in being the TDI equivalent of a chain “Camshaft adaptation” value? Thank you.. btw I’m looking for a quality aftermarket timing belt kit? Any suggestions? Or would it be best to only use VAG OEM parts? And I do plan on keeping this since it’s been through Dieselgate with its mods and I just like how it runs and handles with the DSG
That particular Measurin Block is used more for verifying/setting engine timing. Not really for diagnosis of component condition. Sounds like it's working fine, advances with throttle. Many of us will change the timing belt and appurtenances a bit early. I don't give a lot of credence to the 6 year limit, the materials used are quit good,but I'm no mechanic.
Thanks I agree, since everyone seems to have a varying opinion on the TB interval I’m inclined to change it with the next month

mrg_jetta_tdi

TDI
CJAA Sportwagen MKVI
Some say, that you should also worry about age (aka time) and not just milage
Some say, that there's no way you have a CBEA in that vehicle (should be CJAA)
Some say, do the TB just to be safe, especially if you plan on keeping it long.
Hello,

So I'm looking for advice as to the belt timing belt kit and tools to use for TB job, I will plan on doing it this month? What is you recommendation for the kit including all components and hardware and what locking tools (what brand and where to purchase) Also, so is there any parameter in VCDS that translates to belt stretch? - Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No parameter that I know of.
We have vendors on here that sell TB kits\tools, or you can source them anywhere else you prefer. Lot's of options:

etc.....

mrg_jetta_tdi

TDI
CJAA Sportwagen MKVI
Thanks for the reply, I like the INA parts and HEPU water pump, also any thoughts on doing this job with the motor mount/bracket in vs removing it? I have seen both ways but I'm not sure if the reinstalling of that tensioner stud with Knipex pliers or vice grips is the best approach, won't it damage the threads? I like the ShopDAP I have used that site before. Thanks again, and I'm sure you have done a few TB jobs in your career, what else is a good preventative while I have it opened up? Camshaft seal? Crank seal? What is the duration on the HPFP? Why isn't that typically changed out as well - since I would hate for it to seize up or tear apart, I hear horror stories of metal fragments everywhere.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are several very well documented DIYs if you search a little.
You can change cam & crank seals if you really want, but at that "age/milage", unless you see evidence of issues, you're probably OK.
HPFP is not a cheap think to replace or do a retrofit on, so it's best that you just read up on how to properly care for it and what to look out for as signs of impending doom. Many CP4.1s have gone well into 250k+ without issues..... and then, some have self destructed in 50k.

Here's a few more links to check out... more than I'm wanting to type in terms of a reply :cool: