Me & my Red Rider Against the Squirrels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
bam_bam_dip said:
Really officer, I was only helping the sheep through the fence.

Enough of the deliverance/brokeback mtn. stuff. Back to the task at hand. I now have in my possession, 1 med. sized live trap. Setup begins at dusk. Should I use face paint for this? Or should I give them the Carl the greenskeeper version of the Jedi mind trick? "nuttin' going on here, move along."
OK, first off, squirrels are not nocternal--they go into their nests at dusk just like most humans--so night-time trapping won't catch them (rats, skunks, raccoons, and other rodents, yes!).

Second, if you're going to use a live trap, you really need somebody to be around to deal with the trap shortly after you catch one--a squirrel will rub it's head until it's bloody trying to get out of the trap. I have done squirrel relocation a few times, and I usually set the trap early in the morning so I could drop the critter off several miles away on my way to work. If you can't move them right away, put a blanket or cardboard box over the entire trap so it's dark inside--this will simulate nighttime and will calm down the critter.

Third, if you're going to relocate them somewhere (check local laws regarding this), make sure it's at least 3 or 4 miles away so they don't return.

Fourth, for bait, use peanut butter on one side of a cracker or piece of bread, and place this peanut-butter-side-down right on the trip plate--squirrels are pretty smart and this method of baiting the trap has worked well for the professionals.

Fifth, don't be surprised if you catch a few birds.

Sixth, if it's legal in your area to kill the rodents, the easiest way is to place the entire live trap into a garbage can filled with water, for at least 5 minutes--use a bungee cord on the trap doors to keep them closed. I hate killing critters, but I had to do this a number of times when I caught a rat in the trap (by leaving it set at night)--no way am I going to let a dirty rat live--they keep digging underneath my foundation and getting into my house, the @@#$$%^^&*() critters!

Oh, and seventh, don't be surprised if you need to use the large-sized trap that has the trip plate way at the end opposite of the door some 18" or 24" away--many of the super-smart squirrels that I was dealing with were large enough that they used their tail to hold the door open so when they tripped the trap, they could back out of the trap at super-sonic speed (seriously, in less than 1/2 second) and be completely out before the door locked shut. I finally gave up on my medium-sized trap with the trip plate in the middle and doors on each end, and borrowed the large one (described above) from my neighbor, to catch the really smart ones.

OK, we return you now to your previously unscheduled bad jokes . . .

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Spot saved for later rebuttal.........
redmondjp said:
OK, first off, squirrels are not nocternal--they go into their nests at dusk just like most humans--so night-time trapping won't catch them (rats, skunks, raccoons, and other rodents, yes!)
Oh yeah, thanks for the info. Musta missed that when I got my BS in Wildlife Mgmt. You know college, they don't teach ya nuttin'.:rolleyes:

redmondjp said:
Second, if you're going to use a live trap, you really need somebody to be around to deal with the trap shortly after you catch one--a squirrel will rub it's head until it's bloody trying to get out of the trap. I have done squirrel relocation a few times, and I usually set the trap early in the morning so I could drop the critter off several miles away on my way to work. If you can't move them right away, put a blanket or cardboard box over the entire trap so it's dark inside--this will simulate nighttime and will calm down the critter.
Bloody heads.........dang right. I'm gonna relocate their butts alright. With the bidness end of a 12 gauge shotgun.

redmondjp said:
Third, if you're going to relocate them somewhere (check local laws regarding this), make sure it's at least 3 or 4 miles away so they don't return. .
:p See above

redmondjp said:
Fourth, for bait, use peanut butter on one side of a cracker or piece of bread, and place this peanut-butter-side-down right on the trip plate--squirrels are pretty smart and this method of baiting the trap has worked well for the professionals.
Umm, how 'bout I use something they like. Like my freakin' peecans.

redmondjp said:
Fifth, don't be surprised if you catch a few birds.
As long as they're crows. They eat peecans too, and thus must die a bloody headed death.

redmondjp said:
Sixth, if it's legal in your area to kill the rodents, the easiest way is to place the entire live trap into a garbage can filled with water, for at least 5 minutes--use a bungee cord on the trap doors to keep them closed. I hate killing critters, but I had to do this a number of times when I caught a rat in the trap (by leaving it set at night)--no way am I going to let a dirty rat live--they keep digging underneath my foundation and getting into my house, the @@#$$%^^&*() critters!
Legal schmegal. Drowning? How is that fun? Rats.....Don't ya just love the well placed trap spring that catches 'em just right and sends an eye.......that was another thread.

redmondjp said:
Oh, and seventh, don't be surprised if you need to use the large-sized trap that has the trip plate way at the end opposite of the door some 18" or 24" away--many of the super-smart squirrels that I was dealing with were large enough that they used their tail to hold the door open so when they tripped the trap, they could back out of the trap at super-sonic speed (seriously, in less than 1/2 second) and be completely out before the door locked shut. I finally gave up on my medium-sized trap with the trip plate in the middle and doors on each end, and borrowed the large one (described above) from my neighbor, to catch the really smart ones.
OK, but I'm not placing a whole lot of faith in the traps. I'm just biding my time 'til the air rifle gets here so I can, you know, deflate their egos!! Friggin' tree rats.

redmondjp said:
OK, we return you now to your previously unscheduled bad jokes . . .
Did you hear the one about how the environmentalist broke his arm at the golf course??

Last edited:

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Wife just called and said the trap is working great!!! It gives the squirrels a cool place to sit while they crack my nuts...........friggin' tree rats!!

From the Geico commercial..........

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
cptmox said:
That should work, but I suggest something heinous like Tab or Diet Root Beer.

Let's be reasonable here, wasting a perfectly good cold one is just cruel man!
No beer was harmed in the making of that video. It was Milwakies Best. :rolleyes:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
whitedog said:
No beer was harmed in the making of that video. It was Milwakies Best. :rolleyes:
It's always good to have a Beast around to use as a marinade when the recipe calls for a beer. I'll be damned if I use a bottle of Shiner or Anchor Steam for cooking some squirrel stew.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
R2point0 said:
Just discussed this with our resident Gun Nut/Survivalist/Professional paranoiac. He suggest body hold traps liberally dispersed at the base of the trees and on the roof. Cheap, too.

http://www.snareshop.com/cgi-bin/snareshop/catalog.html?cat=Steel%20Traps
Negative good buddy, not speedbump exclusive. I'm prolly gonna head down to the closest "Beer, Bait, & Ammo" establishment and pick me out an adequate air rifle, a good plug of chawin' tabaccy, a fresh lawn chair and maybe even a new set of overalls. Then I'll pass through my last sane days by cussin' them thar tree rats, allowing the brown spittle to stain my unshaven chin (aka facial racing stripe), and pickin' off as many of those lil varmits as I can. Oh, and consuming copious amount of adult beverages. All this while mumbling incoherently to myself.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Erp - forgot about the cat. My consultant says they should still work on the roof and hanging from tree branches, especialy if baited. Although the prospect of thrashing squirrels dangling from your tree limbs might not endear you to the neighbors.

Get the gun.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
They could film the next Blair Witch movie at bam_bam's house.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Coyote pee. Its effective for racoons and skunks, and sometimes squirrels. Use the bottle dispensers with cotton wool, and hang several of them in the tree, depending on how big the tree is, should be good for 30 days before it needs refreshing.
cheers.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
bam_bam_dip said:
Negative good buddy, not speedbump exclusive. I'm prolly gonna head down to the closest "Beer, Bait, & Ammo" establishment and pick me out an adequate air rifle, a good plug of chawin' tabaccy, a fresh lawn chair and maybe even a new set of overalls. Then I'll pass through my last sane days by cussin' them thar tree rats, allowing the brown spittle to stain my unshaven chin (aka facial racing stripe), and pickin' off as many of those lil varmits as I can. Oh, and consuming copious amount of adult beverages. All this while mumbling incoherently to myself.
I thought that was normal behavior in Texas.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
whitedog said:
I thought that was normal behavior in Texas.
No, we proudly sing "Dixie" and "A Country Boy Can Survive". But its quite coherent. There's just sumthin 'bout that line 'bout "I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye" that really gets us going.

Whadda ya'll do fer fun?

BTW.....B LO the belt dog!

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 ML 350 Bluetec, 2011 JSW TDI (sold), 2005.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
Well you could hire these guys.....check out their Video & Images section.

http://www.dogbegone.com

Its about prairie dogs, high speed bullets...you get the picture. Some of it is somewhat gory...so be warned. :eek:

They might be driving a diesel in one of the videos?...no its an Explorer

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Whadda ya'll do fer fun?
Sometimes we cut firewood for our neighbors:

Sometimes we enjoy a dip in the jacuzzi:

Some folks like to take their date for Motorcycle ride:

But sometimes, it's neccesary to buckle down and mow the lawn:

Last edited by a moderator:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
gtalexad said:
Well you could hire these guys.....check out their Video & Images section.

http://www.dogbegone.com

Its about prairie dogs, high speed bullets...you get the picture. Some of it is somewhat gory...so be warned. :eek:

They might be driving a diesel in one of the videos?...no its an Explorer

That is some nice video....... good marksmanship too.
When a horse you've invested 10-12 years of training in breaks
a leg in a prairie dog hole(not when riding,doofus!) you begin to
understand why PDs need shooting.

Bill

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
40X40 said:

Bill
Bill, in the wildlife mgmt arena, its called management. I'm all about conservation rather than preservation. In my book conservation is wise use, and preservation is NO use.

Whitey, we are definately kindred spirits. you didn't gradiate from Texas A&M, did ya? Maybe in a former life? Cuz, man, your an Aggie at heart!!

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 ML 350 Bluetec, 2011 JSW TDI (sold), 2005.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
40X40 said:

Bill
Yes, I can imagine that they can be a pest on farms. At least it is a quick death I guess.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
40X40 said:

Bill
Oh yeah, try this.

****DISCLAIMER*****
Not for the faint of heart!!
The Gobbler Guillotine
http://blip.tv/file/19041

Now, I can see doing this to my tree rats.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hey Guys, I am a farmer! I understand management vs. preservation.....!!

We have way too many deer and turkey in N MO. for the best health
of the herds/flocks. I feel that rec hunting of PDs is actually a good use
and sound management. I have no desire to see them exterminated.
(Although plague has been linked to some PD herds, has it not?)
Most of the folks have no idea how a wild animal actually lives day to
day or even how long they live.... (violent, cruel, and short lives in
general are the rule and not the exception. Disney be damned for lying!)

BBD,
I ran your problem past a couple of friends...
Consensus as follows:
1. Use a .22 with cb caps, shorts, or a good pellet gun.
2. Put bait on the ground where you can shoot safely from inside the
house.
3. Soften the ground with lots of water so that ricochet is minimized.
4. Yes,you may add Verminator to your resume.

I do long range pistols (really long range), but I'd like to
try some rifles on PDs at 200-400 yards.... sounds like fun!!
Bill

Last edited:

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
Bam Bam,

I know where you are coming from. Yesterday AM heard what sounded like something hitting my car. Discovered that the acorns here in VA are now ripe and that the tree rats were dropping their leavings out of the oak and onto my TDI ( note my 2nd attempt to keep this thread on topic ;)) Now I can't park in my usual spot until the acorns are down.

That said, I was very gratified to hear distressed squirrel noise this AM! Went out to look, and found that my cat had killed one! He is chowing down as I write this.

I got a photo, but decided that it might not be the thing to post on a nice family forum like TDI club :cool:

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
40X40 said:
<snip> you begin to understand why PDs need shooting.

Bill
Hope you are not talking about PD, as in Pumpe Dűse.

Edit: My attempt to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
PD=Prarie Dog

Bam Bam, can we we get a body count update please? :D

Might be amusing if we could also get some suppporting data like number of shots fired, tins of chew consumed and # of beers swilled.

Maybe a good old boy style photo of you holding the gun in one hand and the tree rats by the tail in the other?

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Bam Bam, you live in Belton, right ? Well, that is not far from me.

Frankly, I am surprised you still have that problem. Back in the days when my wife and I were still riding our Beemers, she would have these pesky little critters run smak dab into her spokes. They would just bounce back and die, I would guess. We never stuck around to see how they were doing.

Hence my wife's nick name squirel killer.

Do we need to take up riding again, or do you think you can handle the critter problem without our help ?

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
"And I could see the squirrels, and they were married"

Bob_Fout said:
married...you mean "merry" :D
The crew from Officespace did an interview a year or two ago for World magazine and they described some of the ad-libbing that the crew did. Milton had vowed to somehow describe squirrels ****ing and not have it cut out by the editors... hence the "and they were married"

here's the full quote from imdb.com
Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Last edited:

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I just told my wife about the squirrel situation and her suggestion was to get one of those ultra sonic 'fences'. They emit a sound, which is very high in frequency, so that humans can't hear it, but squirels can. The only problem is, if you have any pets or other animals, they'll be able to hear the sound, too. But, it'll keep the squirrels away.

I don't have any links handy right now, but if you do a quick search on Yahoo, I am sure they'll pop right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.