Me & my Red Rider Against the Squirrels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL7265

TDI
2006 TDI Shadow Blue PK2 DSG
bam_bam_dip said:
I've got these stinkin squirrels chunkin' pecans at my car. Well, maybe not, but I had to relate it to my car somehow. I've got a couple of big pecan trees in the front yard. It's been making some good looking nuts the last couple of years. Problem is, I haven't got 1 freakin' nut for myself. The dang squirrels are beating me to them last year. Hell, I even trimmed the trees this year, just so there wouldn't be any limbs hanging anywhere near the roof (easy access for the little peckers).
I come home from work today and do a little spot watering in the yard. Lo and behold, there's stinking pecan shells everywhere by the base of the trees.
THIS IS WAR!!!
I'm breakin out the heavy artillery. I dusted off the Red Rider. Well, it's the best I can do living in town. Had I been at the ranch, it would be no problem. Can you say squirrel stew? Sure you can.
I spotted one sitting in the shade of the pecan trees earlier having a little snack. I snuck in the house and got the red rider and was just about to sneak out for the ambush when.........The UPS man, man I hate brown right now.
I have a goal. I want 10 pecans for myself. That's it. If I can manage to discourage those little peckers long enough, I'll be a happy man.

Stay tuned.

Game on Mr. squirrel, the war is ON!!!!:mad::mad:
HA when I lived in Garland My neighbor who was 87 years old , had a squirrel problem. He pulled out his beenie flipper and I sware he nailed one right between the eyes that was at least 40 Ft up... :eek:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Get a have a heart trap - trap them its easy and take them to the local park. That way you may have time you get your nuts before the new family moves in. :)

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
wjdell said:
Get a have a heart trap - trap them its easy and take them to the local park. That way you may have time you get your nuts before the new family moves in. :)
Have a Heart?!

It's gone way past that! The line has been drawn in the sand! The war is on. The tree rats brought this on themselves, and now they must pay.

Besides, nobody around here wants to hear about some civil, courteous, or humane way of removing these pests. We are out for blood. Death and destruction is warranted here, and every little squirrel heart that stops beating is a victory.

The next one I see I'm gonna run it over with the TDI (staying on topic).;)

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
wjdell said:
But not, if you live right next to said park.:):)

Or just think of all the TDIs (keeping on topic) that might be parked next to the park.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
BioThomas said:
Or just think of all the TDIs (keeping on topic) that might be parked next to the park.
Now that's a good point.

We must be cognizant of any colateral damage against fellow TDIers. Any shattered windows, shrapnel hits to the body, or incinerations would be completely unacceptable.

Now a Hyundai, Buick or Pontiac...casualties of war.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
You know, wouldn't methanol (biodiesel production, staying on topic) kill them? :D

I'm thinking a higher-end Super Soaker filled with methanol instead of water.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I don't know specifically about tree rats, but many animals can metabolize methanol without problems. Humans lack the enzyme to do so, thus our problems with methanol.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
bhtooefr said:
You know, wouldn't methanol (biodiesel production, staying on topic) kill them? :D

I'm thinking a higher-end Super Soaker filled with methanol instead of water.
Isn't methanol used in the production of bio diesel ? (staying focused on the topic.) May be ethanol would be better, for that reason.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
BioThomas said:
Isn't methanol used in the production of bio diesel ? (staying focused on the topic.) May be ethanol would be better, for that reason.
Yeah, that's it. Get the little suckers drunk. That'll make it easier to hit them when they stagger out into the road:D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
But ethanol can be used in the production of biodiesel, as well.

I wonder what used 505.01 would do to them. :D

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Well I usually only kill the the ground rats as they can damage by burrowing. I get out the weapon assigned for this duty 7/22 Ruger with Simmons scope and some German sub sonic RWS - very quiet. I put one very slow hollow point right between the eyes and they never know what hit them. Once I shot one and cut him in half but he actually lived and crawled 15 ft. So I decided head shots only as I can not stand to see any thing suffer. To make sport I ricochet off one surface to make the kill. Chipmunks or ground squirrels can do serious damge to foundations. I let them live as long as they stay in the yard but once they move near a foundation I terminate them

Tuishimi

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I could lend you my cat.

She catches Chipmunks, gray squirrels, red squirrels and even flying squirrels. I have NO idea how she catches flying squirrels so don't ask.

Now that we have moved to the South West, she catches birds, lizards and scorpions. She holds an honored position in our house over all other animals because of her prowess.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

cptdi

TDI
06 jetta tdi shadow blue
my wife aka animal lover used to feed birds but all we got was them friggen tree rats.. one tried to dig his way thru my siding/insulation to get into the garage (to stay on topic where 06 tdi is parked) . 12 gauge, #4 shot , nothing to bury end of problem.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
So last night, I go to change the oil in my TDI ( on topic), And as I am doing it, something hits the roof of the car. I watch, and an acorn drops off the roof, down the windshield, and into some dim recess of the engine. Wonder how that happened??? Could it be:confused: tree rats:confused:

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Tickbait said:
BBD,

I'm thinking you should whoop up a big ole pot of this for the next GTG:

Seminole Squirrel Stew

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 Squirrels, cleaned
1 cup All-purpose flour
2 cups Water
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tablespoons Lard or bacon drippings

Cut squirrels into serving pieces. Mix salt, pepper and flour and
dredge the squirrel pieces in the mixture. In a large skillet, heat
the fat and fry squirrel pieces, turning occasionally until golden
brown. Remove squirrel from the skillet and set aside. Pour off all
fat except about 3 tablespoons. Add water to the skillet and bring to
boil. Return squirrel to the skillet; bring to boil again, cover and
reduce heat. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very
tender. Serve with corn bread.

I loves me some fresh kill.

I wonder if it would be good with this hot sauce?? Me thinks it has possibilities!!

http://www.lemproducts.com/cat06/cat06_20.pdf

RobberDan

TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Same problem - differnt nuts

I was having the same problem with the TRs(tree ratz). They were dropping hickory nuts on my wife's car and the place where I was planning on parking my TDI (on topic). I purchased a Gamo CFX. Fixed barrel, 1000fps .177 cal air rifle. I can hit a quarter from 30 yards with it. Its pretty quiet too. Especially if you snipe the little vermin from inside the house. ( first make sure wife is NOT home) ;) - anyway I highly recommend one.

I'm thinking maybe some squirrel skin steering wheel covers or shift knob covers (for those cold mornings) might be in order.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
RobberDan said:
I'm thinking maybe some squirrel skin steering wheel covers or shift knob covers (for those cold mornings) might be in order.
Don't know about the seat cover idea. The skin isn't very thick. Stitching may tear out quickly. Still, post some pics if you do it.

I will say that the fur ain't bad to use for tying trout flies.

06jettatdi

TDI
Blue 2012 Jetta TDi Sedan w/MT
The old Peanut Butter trick...

If you have a beer bottle cap nail it to the tree and fill it with jiffy. they will hold real still while they eat and you can take your time aiming... Just be carefull not to hit the TDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.