MDI service reminder a little off????

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
MFD service reminder a little off????

Got my service reminder on the MFD today. Had to do a double take. It says service is due in 1500 miles (which is true for the miles) or 277 days. How do you figure 277 days? Does it think I only drive 5 miles a day? Would I have to look at this reminder for 277 days if I did?:confused:

Last edited:

lordscarlet

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (When I can find one)
meowguy said:
Got my service reminder on the MFD today. Had to do a double take. It says service is due in 1500 miles (which is true for the miles) or 277 days. How do you figure 277 days? Does it think I only drive 5 miles a day? Would I have to look at this reminder for 277 days if I did?:confused:
How long have you had the car? Approximately 90 days? I assume it is triggered when one of two conditions occur, one of those being 1500 miles to go. The other probably being 30 days or something. You hit one of those criteria, and it just always shows but what both counters are at.

That's my guess.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
How long have you had the car?
I have had the car a little less than three months. It is certainly due for service in 1500 miles. Maybe it wants you to get service after 1 year whether you need it or not, thus it is counting down the days as well.

You are no doubt correct, it shows both and you have to figure it out.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I guess it's either time or mileage dictating the maintenance schedule.

lordscarlet

TDI
meowguy said:
I have had the car a little less than three months. It is certainly due for service in 1500 miles. Maybe it wants you to get service after 1 year whether you need it or not, thus it is counting down the days as well.

You are no doubt correct, it shows both and you have to figure it out.
Yes. You're supposed to get a service at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I don't plan on getting anywhere near 10,000 miles in the first year, so I made sure that was the case. :)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
lordscarlet said:
Yes. You're supposed to get a service at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I don't plan on getting anywhere near 10,000 miles in the first year, so I made sure that was the case. :)
Sheesh! I'm going in for my 20K next month and I've only had my car since May of '09. I've got some extra miles I can ship over your way ;)

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sheesh! I'm going in for my 20K next month and I've only had my car since May of '09.
By the time I've had my JSW for two years it will 50 K on it. That's the whole reason I got this car. I intend to run the wheels off it at 43 MPG. :D

lordscarlet

TDI
dzcad90 said:
Sheesh! I'm going in for my 20K next month and I've only had my car since May of '09. I've got some extra miles I can ship over your way ;)
I'm city folk, so I don't put a lot of miles on it. :) I walk to work and maybe drive 30-50 miles most weekends. The Golf TDI is great for city driving/parking as well as the great mileage when I go on road trips :D